• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Work in progress...

Started by W.P. Rayner, May 30, 2011, 11:58:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malachi Constant

Super, high-quality popcorn popper ... or my name isn't Orville Reddenbacher.
-- Dallas Mallerich  (Just a freakin' newbie who stumbled into the place)
Email me on the "Contact Us" page at www.BoulderValleyModels.com

finescalerr

Nonsense, you guys. It's the flying saucer from Close Encounters! -- ssuR

W.P. Rayner

Quote from: marc_reusser on June 12, 2011, 07:10:54 PM
Dibbs on "Gas Pump"
Marc

Kudos to Marc... though the idea of it being an iron lung is entertaining. As far as Russ' suggestion of the Close Encounters spaceship, it must have been from the unreleased steampunk prequel...

At any rate, here it is all in one shot, at least as far as the project has progressed to date. There remains the top cap to complete along with the piping in the glass cylinder and the remainder of the valve pieces on the view-port assembly where the filler hose attaches. It is a Correct Measure Gas Pump from the late 1920s, a project I'm doing for Mobilgas (Craig) here on the forum.

Paul

finescalerr

Most very way cool. -- Russ

Chuck Doan

"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

W.P. Rayner

Thanks Craig, Chuck & Russ... I appreciate the good words. It's been a very interesting project so far. I'm going to tackle the distinctive "organ pipes" next. Thanks for posting the prototype photos Craig... these are a couple of the photos I've been using as reference shots to extrapolate the dimensions for the drawings. Interestingly enough the most problematic part to draw so far has been the side hand lever that operates the manual pump. At first glance it seems very simple, but it's tapered on all four sides, has raised edges and the openings are all tapered as well to match the profile. Took several attempts to get that right. Basically the way the thing works is, you fill the glass reservoir with 10 gallons of fuel pumping by hand with the vertical side lever, select the amount of fuel needed (from 1 - 10 gallons) using the horizontal lever in the tapered section setting it into the corresponding notch, then release the desired amount of gas to the delivery hose with a valve (yet to be drawn) outbound of the rectangular sight-glass on the side just below the reservoir. There's an "organ pipe" for each volume 1 through 10. If you needed 3 gallons, by setting the lever in the 3 gallon position, the 3 gallon pipe would line up with the distribution outlet and allow the top 3 gallons of fuel to flow down the "organ pipe." Fuel below that level would remain in the reservoir. A check valve prevents the pump from operating when the valve to the delivery hose is open, so you can't pump any more gas than what the glass reservoir will hold or continue to pump while the delivery valve is open. Fortunately I was able to find the original patent for the pump which helped a great deal in determining how the thing worked and went together.

Paul

W.P. Rayner

Yes. Here are the two latest renderings from Keyshot: the first of the overall pump with the pipe organ in place, the second a detail shot of the pipe organ and glass fuel cylinder. Next step is to redraw the fuel level assemblies. The first ones drawn in Cobalt were flawed in some way as they would not import into either Inventor or Solidworks, so time to redraw them.

Paul

finescalerr

Heck with the model. Keep cranking out 3D drawings. Satisfactory. -- Russ

finescalerr

Now, now, Craig! You actually want me to be politically correct on my own forum? Go stand in the corner! -- ssuR

michael mott

I am slowly working my way through a lot of threads and posts.

Paul this drawing is really sharp, make me wish I knew how to do this 3D stuff, you make it look easy but what little experience I have had with 3D drawing programs, I can see that you have been doing this stuff for quite some time. I look forward to seeing the finished drawing.

Michael

W.P. Rayner

Thanks Michael. Yes, I have been doing this for a while now, but am constantly learning new and better techniques with the software. With my recent switch to new 3D CAD software and a PC I still have a lot to learn, but am slowly making progress. I just finished reworking this drawing in Inventor adding all the required parametric constraints to be able to fully utilize the editing and production capabilities of the software. Now that the drawing files are properly configured it's time to draw the remaining parts.

Paul

W.P. Rayner

Here are a couple of new renderings, slightly different views with less dramatic lighting generated from the Inventor revised drawings and rendered in Keyshot.

Paul

finescalerr

Paul, it's a little after 1 a.m. PDT and your server is being very selfish about sharing your photos. Maybe you should upload them here directly from your hard drive. -- Russ

marc_reusser

It's 2:15 am pdt, and they look just fine to me.

M
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

W.P. Rayner

I received a message from my hosting company and they were experiencing "network connectivity" problems evidently on a selection of their servers, but all is fixed and back to normal.

Paul