• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

The Workshop and the inside out pump

Started by Barney, May 20, 2011, 05:07:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chester

Lovely machinery, I look forward to seeing some color although your styrene work is almost too nice to cover.

marc_reusser

These are wonderful builds. Very crisp and clean, and nicely detailed. Can't wait to see them in paint.

Marc
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

W.P. Rayner

Very crisp and clean builds Barney, excellent styrene work. I too am looking forward to see these painted up...

Paul

Chuck Doan

"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

Mr Potato Head

Did you use machines to build these machines? I know that sounds funny but I always wonder how they made the first precision machines. Don't you need a precision machine to make one? Great job by the way!
MPH
Did you know a young robin eats 18 feet of worms a day!
Gil Flores
In exile in Boise Idaho

Ray Dunakin

Quote from: Mr Potato Head on June 07, 2011, 02:57:52 PM
Did you know a young robin eats 18 feet of worms a day!

Nonsense! Everyone knows worms don't have feet!

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

Frederic Testard

QuoteDid you use machines to build these machines? I know that sounds funny but I always wonder how they made the first precision machines. Don't you need a precision machine to make one?
A question that has often crossed my mind. I suppose that with a machine precise to the nth degree you can make one precise to the (n+1)th degree and that explains how progress is possible.
Frederic Testard

Barney

Waiting for paint to dry on the workshop machines - so a start has been made on the Workshop floors a stone slab type and a planked section for the engine shed - the stone slabs are made of 40 thou Styrene with 10 and 5 thou styrene skins on the top surface to give a worn look - the machine bases are 40thou styrene laminated to form a raised concrete base for the larger machines.The sleepers should be thicker but I was governed by the thickness of the stone floor - but the sleepers will be in a yard area and buried in the ground so the thickness will be hidden (did not think to make the stone floor thicker)

Barney

Barney

Workshop floor

chester

Very nice effect using the two layers of styrene for the stones. Again, can't wait for "colored" photos.

Junior

Beautiful machinery! Some color to those and the floor will make this an outstanding model and then the shed and workshop of course. Great work Barney!

Anders  ;D

marc_reusser

The floor looks great...can you give us a quick description (or sbs) on how you acchieved this? Really one of the best floors like this I have seen. I have never seen one done in styrene...and still can't believe it is from looking at it.

Marc
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

finescalerr

I agree with Marc. Your use of styrene is both innovative and artistic. -- Russ

Barney

A page from Barneys slab making journal - 1: cut the styrene to size of slab you require and round off the corners 2:cut 10thou or 5thou styrene (I normally use scissors) to shapes of the weathered stone there are many variations in the way the stone weathers some splinter and some are more round 3: glue the layers on to your slab I often texture the top layer by pressing cloth or a sponge into the wet glue /solvent and then on some areas lightly "bounce" a Dremel tool over the surface to add a texture - when dry and fixed into position give the slabs a light sanding which helps to blend in the surface if you break into the 5 thou styrene when sanding it all adds to the texture.
4: for a cracked or broken slab just score the surface then break the slab - chamfer the edge then glue back together 5: repeat the process in 2&3.
Thanks for all your comments
Barney