• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Wooden house diorama

Started by Per Olav Lund, January 13, 2011, 12:02:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Per Olav Lund

Hi

A while back I came across an article about using Ranger Crackle Paint. The  cracle and finish on Ranger Crackle paint was perfect in 1/35 scale and I was tempted to start a project of a scene with a wooden building from Norway.
I usually have a plan when I start on a diorama but in this project things has developt during the prosess.
Some of the pics are shown earlier in an another post on this forum but I hope you dont mind I post them again as this tread will be of the complete build.

Some early in progress shots: (sorry about the quality of my photos, I have just got a new work place and camera  ;))

The first wall was made with cardboard and thin veneer as a base, bad choise, it warped. I got some Capa fix plates (my first experience with this material) and I was very impressed by this material. Solid and very easy to work with. The brick wall was made scribing the bricks into Styrofoam, a tip I think I got from Marc

Some more progress..
The tiles is from Juwela

Status today..
The building will house a engine and bicycle repair shop. The signs is just temporarily prints for testing,  will make some better one later

One of the three figures involved, some convertion regarding arms is nessesary.. the bike will have photo etch spokes and details

Beware of the dog...

At the moment it looks like the story will also involve a Zundapp with Steib sidecar (plastic kit) and hopefully a HD 1928 Peashooter (scratch)

I'll keep you updated!

Per Olav

finescalerr

artizen

Ian Hodgkiss
The Steamy Pudding - an English Gentleman's Whimsy in 1:24 scale Gn15 (in progress)
On the Slate and Narrow - in 1:12 scale (coming soon)
Brisbane, Australia

Hauk

Regards, Hauk
--
"Yet for better or for worse we do love things that bear the marks of grime, soot, and weather, and we love the colors and the sheen that call to mind the past that made them"  -Junichiro Tanizaki

Remembrance Of Trains Past

Ken Hamilton

Beautiful job!!  This building has a lot of character. 
The Ranger crackle paint looks great. I just got some but haven't had a chance to play with it yet.
Very impressive............
Ken Hamilton
www.wildharemodels.com
http://public.fotki.com/khamilton/models/

Chuck Doan

Great project. I really like the first shot.
"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

Junior

Snyggt bygge Per Olav! Will be most interesting to see you finish this one. Great dog house as well.

Anders ;D

Per Olav Lund

Hello guys and thanks for the feedback

A small update, have just started on the groundwork. The main details in the yard is in place, a lot of smaller stuff will be added later.
Finding the right and natural place for all the details is a fun and important stage of the process, I think its my favourite part of the hobby  ;D

The groundwork is made of Sculpamold mixed with sand and some colour. The "vegetation" is a mixture of small roots and forest litter. I don´t remember the name of the material I used for the pavement, its a hard foam often used in architect models..
The signs is made using the method from Chucks articles.

Per Olav

The story in the diorama is starting to take shape, have just started to collect pictures of this HD and will start building it from scratch.

Chuck Doan

That is neat looking motorcycle.
"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

JESTER

Frederic Testard

What a dio, Per Olav! There are so many story telling elements. I love it.
Frederic Testard

Ray Dunakin

Very nice! However it appears the dog has escaped his tether. I hope you get him back before he takes someone's leg off -- or knocks up the neighbor's pedigreed poodle.   ;)

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

W.P. Rayner

Nice job on the dio Per. The motorcycle is going to be an interesting project. I believe that's a 1928 Harley Model 28S "Peashooter" Board Track Racer, 350cc OHV single cylinder engine. Apparently the nick name came from the staccato exhaust note. With a single gear and no brakes, this is not a street machine... designed and built strictly for board track racing. The wooden board tracks were banked at approximately 45 degrees with the outside edge up to 16 feet high or so... bikes reached speeds around 100 mph... crazy stuff. Here's are more photos of the same bike. It apparently sold recently for $60,000...

Paul

marc_reusser

Looking great as ususal Per. Thanks for the update.

Paul, thanks for the info. Very interesting.

FWIW: I did a Google mage search for "Board Track Racer" and came up with a ton of great images of sim bikes:

http://www.google.com/images?q=board+track+racer&rls=com.microsoft:en-us:IE-SearchBox&oe=UTF-8&rlz=1I7ADBF_en&um=1&ie=UTF-8&source=univ&ei=zW0-TavPJIWasAPpmomZBQ&sa=X&oi=image_result_group&ct=title&resnum=3&ved=0CC8QsAQwAg&biw=1046&bih=787

Maybe the bike needs a sidecar so that the nasty dog can ride along  ;) ;D

FWIW Here's a page with some cool vintage pics of board track racing, track construction and bikes.

http://thevintagent.blogspot.com/2008/12/board-track-racing-on-film.html

Marc
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

jacq01

Per Olav,

do you have more information on the tiles used on the building ?  A website or store name where I can purchase them ?

This small dio starts looking great, the motorcycle will be a real challenge compared with the kits used in the past. Will you built it in brass or plastic ?

I will not come too close to the store with SATAN loose.  ;D ;D ;D

Jacq
put brain in gear before putting mouth in action.
never underestimate the stupidity of idiots
I am what I remember.