• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

9" Gauge Victorian Kitchen Garden in 7/8ths Scale

Started by 78ths, October 20, 2010, 03:54:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

78ths

9" Gauge Victorian Kitchen Garden in 7/8ths Scale

With not having a garden line running (targeting to actually build one this spring) I really wanted to build something that I could take to shows and run trains on when the urge or the need to purge developed. I have a couple of Forneys that I bought to bash into two footer (1:35 scale) and then I loose interest as my passion is really only 7/8ths scale. Well HO track or 16.5mm ends up being 9" gauge rail in 7/8ths. This prompted a quick search on flickr and several hundred images later of 7.5"-10.25" miniature estate lines later I was inspired. I hired Rob Bennett (http://robbennett.org/) to design a micro layout for me. Well I was thrilled with the first idea, what  talented designer. The 9" gauge Victorian Kitchen Garden Estate line is born.

Next step:
To pick up HO flex track to see how far I can squeeze the radius on the Forneys. (I will be loosing the front and rear trucks. 0-4-0 )

Appeals of the project:

• Lots of opertunity for detail and I love making figures
  • Can put my laser cutter to lots of work - cutting leaves, greehouse details for woodwork etc..
  • Can finally build a micro layout without leaving 7/8ths scale.
Will keep posted as progress develops.

Ferd Mels  Ontario Canada    eh!
SE Scale - all other scales pale by comparison.  7/8"=1'-0"
www.78ths.com

Ray Dunakin

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

nalmeida

It's a great plan, the artwork is absolutely amazing. I know it's a micro but is there a purpose on the railroad itself? Tourist transportation? Goods?

78ths

The estate railroads primary purpose is to supply the kitchen with fresh produce daily and take guests, staff and Estate Owner. Much like the early experiments done by Sir Arthur Heywood.
www.78ths.com

artizen

Love the 3D plan. What is the approximate dimensions of the board?

Also like the trolley design. Can you give us approximate dimensions of that as well? I assume it is close to the Heywood brake van that Roughboy is building?
Ian Hodgkiss
The Steamy Pudding - an English Gentleman's Whimsy in 1:24 scale Gn15 (in progress)
On the Slate and Narrow - in 1:12 scale (coming soon)
Brisbane, Australia

78ths

The target dimension of the board is 36X72" this may vary depending on the radius I can pull off once the engines have been bashed into my target outcome.

thx
Ferd
www.78ths.com

marc_reusser

Ferd,

If the build looks anywhere as cool as your sketches, it will be a great build to watch. Look forward to it.

Marc
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works