• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Work in progress: Westinghouse boxcab electric

Started by Hauk, September 09, 2009, 03:11:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ray Dunakin

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

Hauk

Quote from: artizen on August 22, 2012, 03:29:34 AMSo what happened to number 1?  ::)

Amazing work. Please keep posting.

A good question that has been unanswered for more than eleven years!
Work on number 1 has finally begun. It will start life as an engine dismantled for a main revision displayed in the workshop diorama described in the Shadowbox-thread
Regards, Hauk
--
"Yet for better or for worse we do love things that bear the marks of grime, soot, and weather, and we love the colors and the sheen that call to mind the past that made them"  -Junichiro Tanizaki

Remembrance Of Trains Past

Hauk

For this third engine I decided to make some small improvments on the trucks, so I milled the holders for the spring hangers from solid brass instead of forming them from strips of brass.

But these buggers are small, just 1.6X2X2mm. The biggest problem with milling such parts are holding them firmly in place during the machining process.  For bigger parts i mostly use two-sided carpet tape for holding, but for thes parts the holding area is way to small.

So I started by soldering a 10X60mm piece of 1,6mm engravers brass to a 10X10 bar of brass. A brass bar like this soaks up a lot of heat, so i used a large propane torch for heating up the parts. For solder I used Carrs 179deg. solder cream.

The brass bar was then placed in a small machine vise.

First operatian was drilling the 0.8mm holes. This was done with a feed of 2mm/sec. The holes were "peck-drilled" 0,4mm at a time.
Then a 3-cutter 3mm flat endmill was used to mill the parts. Feed was 3mm/s, spindle speed "5" on the Kress motor  wich i guess is 25000 rpm. 

I used some spray-can machining oil that seems to make maching brass a little easier, even if most folks say that brass can be machined dry. 

There was a little burr on the parts, but it was easily sanded off with some grade 400 emery paper.

fresing_02_W.jpg

fresing_03_w.jpg

PS: As mentioned before, these parts are small, and in a flash of foresight I made 6 more holders than needed!
Regards, Hauk
--
"Yet for better or for worse we do love things that bear the marks of grime, soot, and weather, and we love the colors and the sheen that call to mind the past that made them"  -Junichiro Tanizaki

finescalerr

Bernhard

Hauk

Thank you for all the kind words!

The posts in this thread will mostly be a rerun of a very old show, but I will try to include at least a nugget of some useful information in every post.

I must admit that I also have an egoistic reason for this as I often use my own forum posts for reference!

Here are two of the hanger fasteners in their proper location:

IMG_2853.jpeg
Regards, Hauk
--

Bill Gill

Hauk

Quote from: Bill Gill on November 26, 2023, 06:37:42 AMGosh, that looks good, Hauk.

Thanks Bill!

One of the reasons I really enjoy building in metal is that the work Looks great even in the pre-paint stage.

In fact, I sometimes think models look better in bare metal than painted!
Regards, Hauk
--

Bernhard

Yes, I feel the same way. Especially when the model consists of a combination of brass, nickel silver and steel, I think it's almost a shame to cover everything with paint.

Bernhard

Hauk

And you have some modellers that has concluded that it IS indeed a shame to cover all that delicious metal with paint.

The Italian master modeller Attorio Mari is one that comes to mind:

mari_web_01.jpg

I have mentioned him on this forum before, but perhaps some of you have missed it:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCogNW6AeAyy9d9Q3PDnvyAA
Regards, Hauk
--

finescalerr

Ray Dunakin

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

Stuart

It is always sooo inspiring to see the quality of fine workmanship that regularly appears on this forum. It gives me something to aspire to and work to achieve in my model work. Anyway, superior work Hauk.

Barney

Stuart you have summed it up with some great words -
Barney
Never Let someone who has done nothing tell you how to do anything
Stuart McPherson

Hauk

Thanks for all the encouragement!

I'm trying to improve my milling skills, so I make some parts on the router that I might not have bothered to make if I didn't need the practice.

Here are some cosmetic parts that will be completely hidden from view when the engine is assembled, they are just for showing off in the workshop diorama:

IMG_2967.jpeg

Regards, Hauk
--