• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Narrow gauge tramway loco

Started by Peter_T1958, November 18, 2020, 08:45:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ray Dunakin

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

Peter_T1958

Quote from: Hauk on March 17, 2022, 01:33:57 PM
What brand of etch primer did you use, by the way?

I used Maston 1K etch primer, the sole available in the shops. But I am quite satisfied with it, because it is as fluid as water and it adheres well on brass.

Cheers, Peter
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication" -Leonardo Da Vinci-

https://industrial-heritage-in-scale.blogspot.ch/

WP Rayner

That is lovely Peter, well done.
Paul

Stay low, keep quiet, keep it simple, don't expect too much, enjoy what you have.

Hauk

Quote from: Peter_T1958 on March 21, 2022, 12:29:31 AM

I used Maston 1K etch primer, the sole available in the shops. But I am quite satisfied with it, because it is as fluid as water and it adheres well on brass.

Cheers, Peter

Thanks!

Looking forward to more updates on your fine project.
Regards, Hauk
--
"Yet for better or for worse we do love things that bear the marks of grime, soot, and weather, and we love the colors and the sheen that call to mind the past that made them"  -Junichiro Tanizaki

Remembrance Of Trains Past

Bernhard

Is this primer applied from a spray can, and is it water soluble or solvent based?

Bernhard

Peter_T1958

With the intention not to hijack Håvard's thread (https://www.finescalerr.com/smf/index.php?topic=493.240) I will write an answer here. First of all, many thanks for your encouraging words and your offers for help.
The reason why this project has stalled lies deeper, and may be, one or the other member is familiar with my problem.

With that tramway loco of my hometown I wanted to make a dream come true: building my own real brass model, and a subject, that had never been made as a model before. After several decades of spending time on plastic cutting, carving, sanding and gluing I wanted to push my skills forward to a higher level.
Perhaps you know already, my machinery resource is very limited – a Dremel and a soldering iron on a writing desk.
Of course tools are not essential and decisive : with a lot of experience and some talent you can build almost everything. BUT... I had to realize, that without adequate machinery the level of detail is limited when you want to build a movable brass loco. Further more, I am a hard-core rivet counter. So the output of my work did not fit to my demands. You can see that already on the bogies !

SchSt73-1.jpg

They are not bad, but compared to those from Håvard or Lawrence, obviously there are a big differences.

Meanwhile I am able to reach the desired level of detail with my 3D program and I am very occupied with the construction of my military tractor/tractors, my other field of interest. I build them in commission for a French small-scale manufacturer. That is very satisfactory, as the results are far better then in my brass work. Here my newest attempt:

Dürkopp.jpg

You see, the competition is stiff, and so is the way back to that project. But who knows, Håvard showed a way to bring together the two techniques.

All the best,
Peter

Hauk

I am a bit prejudiced here as a model of an electric engine in 0m scale is as darn close as you get to my own modelling interest!
So I would love to see your brass engine project continued, but to be honest my reasons are a bit selfish.

Judging from the pictures, I find no faults with your brass work. But pictures can be deceiving, and the only thing that matters in the end is how YOU feel about your work.

If you get more satisfaction from modelling military tractors, go for it! And keep posting. Good modelling is always inspiring, no matter the subject.

But if you decide to restart the brass engine project, I could definitively be open for some bartering: what about some machining work in exchange for some digital 3D-modelling? ;)
Regards, Hauk
--
"Yet for better or for worse we do love things that bear the marks of grime, soot, and weather, and we love the colors and the sheen that call to mind the past that made them"  -Junichiro Tanizaki

Remembrance Of Trains Past

fspg2

Hello Peter,

I'm delighted that you're getting back to your great project.
Even with your "limited machine resources" you have created some really impressive parts so far.
Counting rivets at the "kitchen table" is not a contradiction in terms, we know examples not only here in the forum ;-)

QuoteYou can already see that in the bogies!

I can't see anything, either the picture is too small or I'm a bit blind!

A look at other model builders' projects should inspire you to continue, as Håvard has fortunately done.

In any case, I'm looking forward to the sequel!
Frithjof

Peter_T1958

Quote from: fspg2 on February 06, 2024, 07:34:11 AMI'm delighted that you're getting back to your great project.

To date, nothing has been decided, so I will to be cautious with promises. ;)
But Russ is certainly right. I will find help in this forum anyway.

@ Håvard
Your proposal is very tempting and if I am able to restart this project I shall be coming back to this!  Generally, if you should require some 3D files... I can still say « No »!

I am not only designing those Artillery tractors, but also spare parts for armoured vehicles, parts for spacecrafts and submarine parts and entire submarines for a close relative and, and, and! 

Finescalerr.jpg

The problem is exactly lying here: I am loosing myself in all the different projects – there is hardly time for my own projects on the modelling desk.

Hmm, that started with my retirement two years ago – funny ?!

finescalerr

Please post some of your commercial work. This forum is not just for railroad modeling. You may have noticed we have a section just for military modeling, for example, so you may continue to inspire us with various other projects when you have no time to work on the tram loco.

And I see nothing to criticize on the railroad truck. It looks as good as any commercial product I've seen.

Russ

Peter_T1958

Quote from: finescalerr on February 06, 2024, 01:54:54 PMPlease post some of your commercial work. This forum is not just for railroad modeling.
Russ

Hi Russ
Just to avoid a false impression – these aren't all commercial products. The Büssing and Dürkopp tractors I did for myself but I can sell them on a commission basis for some bucks. With an order volume of 20 copies there is hardly anything left over. But of course I won't do it because of the money ; perhaps that's simply a little extra that flatters the soul.

All of that work is for befriended people who say « Can you please design me this or that? » but afterwards I uploaded them to shapeways that others can benefit as likely as not.
You will find some of them at shapeways under «Blue Collar Worker». Surprisingly all submarine stuff, a subject I was never really interested in, is going rather well.

What I actually want to say, I do envy a little bit all colleagues here who can limit themself to a single topic in that hobby, such as railways for example. So over the years you gain much more technical competence and knowledge. I was lacking this competence at my excursion into the world of brass modelling. 
According to the saying «A cobbler should stick to his last» I am at my artillery tractors again... at least at the moment  ;D

Bernhard

Peter, every beginning is difficult when you venture into a new area. I myself also started from scratch as an autodidact. I quickly realised that two things are essential for success: the right tools and a good mentor.
Regardless of this, the modelling hobby has so many facets that everyone is sure to find something they enjoy. I always look with fascination at the work of forum members from other areas and think to myself: in my next life I'll do the same!

Bernhard

1-32

Hi Peter always a plesure.
cheers Kim