• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

'41 Chevy Pickup, scale 1:25

Started by JohnTolcher, December 03, 2013, 04:15:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frederic Testard

I love it. Great to see the building of the colour.
Frederic Testard

Mr Potato Head

great job, it looks like very much like your inspirational muse, I would have liked to see a little more dings and dents to the fenders and the grill but you killed it with the weathering. Thanks for the SBS, always helpful
MPH
Gil Flores
In exile in Boise Idaho

Ray Dunakin

Awesome!! Really looks great. I like how the color changes slightly from top to bottom.

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

Hydrostat

Fantastic paint job. For me especially the bumper and the load bed look very good. The fading shade of the color is spot on. But I feel there are two points for improvement: The tires seem way to close to the fenders. Compared to the prototype (and to be "functional") they would have to be more inside. The other point is the flattened rear tire, which looks somewhat chopped. I've never done this by myself, but maybe you could heat the tire a bit to deform it to get that compressed look?

Cheers
Volker
I'll make it. If I have to fly the five feet like a birdie.
I'll fly it. I'll make it.

The comprehensive book about my work: "Vollendete Baukunst"

Arno Boudoiron

finescalerr

John, that's just depressing. It's enough to make me consider publishing another article, something I really don't want to do again for a while. Why must you do such inspirational work? -- Russ

Lawton Maner

Looks a lot like the 1976 Ford F-100 in my backyard awaiting restoration.

Russ:

Get more information about the step by step how to and post it as the first of what I hope will become a torrent of pay to view replacements for the mags. Making them affordable will allow viewers to build a library of articles specific to their needs.

finescalerr

I can crank them out, Lawton, but the market for them isn't there. My main concern is earning enough to give the authors a decent check (even if I get nothing) and, so far, the stats suggest that my be very difficult. -- Russ

Wesleybeks

Kind Regards
Wesley

Modelling in sunny South Africa

JohnTolcher

Many thanks guys, I'm glad you like it.

Thanks Gil, I agree, some more dings would have been good. In fact I tried on the front right fender and ended up cracking the plastic. Something I need to work on.

And Volker, I agree with your comments also. I tried to soften the spare tyre and flatten it as a test but ended up just making it look melted, so I cut that part off and covered it with the tarp. So the other tyres were cut off at the bottom. But yes the wheels do not look to be in the right position, I think I can do something about that thanks.

Russ - sorry.

I've been asked elsewhere if I was planning a base, the answer is no, not at this stage. Cheers guys!

JT
Cheers
John in Australia

Chuck Doan

I do know of a 1/25 th scale garage this would look nice sitting in front of. ::)
"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

chester

Very nice! Thanks for the walk through.

kathymillatt

Wow, that looks amazing John.

I love how subtle many of the effects are.

Thanks for the SBS.

I wonder if the windex would work as well on Tamiya thinned with acrylic thinners. Lacquer thinner is impossible to post in the UK.

Experimenting needed!

Kathy

voyager

That is beautiful and a very informative SBS too, thanks! The underlying pigments literally give the paint an extra dimension - must try that!
Andrew

If it has wheels, I'll have a look!

Gordon Ferguson

Kathy, you can get the Tamyia Lacquer thinners via Hong Kong/eBay & the postman delivers it ?

In the meantime you might like to experiment with Acrylic Nail Varnish remover, a really basic version with no additives as long as it smell of "pear drops" should be OK.
Gordon