• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

dump bed lift question

Started by chester, May 27, 2013, 06:18:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chester

Would anyone be able to direct me to some details on the dump bed raising device on this truck?

Ray Dunakin

Cute truck, with that boxy wooden cab! Would definitely be fun to model.

Unfortunately, I can't answer your question regarding the dump mechanism.

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

NORCALLOGGER

Can't really help much,
It looks like a version of the PTO lift that was used by several manufacturers in the 20's.  Dump beds and their lift units were almost always after market units and not OEM.
Rick

marc_reusser

Interesting. Have unfortunately never seen it before.
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

Gordon Ferguson

Inclined to agree with Rick , looks like a chain driven hoist powered by a Mid mounted PTO

A lot of these were built by "Highway Hoist"  who I believe continued to major suppliers of mechanical  hoists even after people like "Heil" had moved away from mechanical to hydraulic power.

Would highly recommend the book  Dump Trucks  by Donald F Wooding in the Crestline series published by MBI Publishing Company ,   ISBN 0-7603-0867-5
(Type in Abe books in your search engine, and then the ISBN number there are number available in the States)

You will find all sorts of things in there you will want model  ;D
Gordon

mabloodhound

Dave Mason
D&GRR (Dunstead & Granford) in On30
"A people that values its privileges above its principles will soon lose both."~Dwight D. Eisenhower

chester

Thanks all, will have to buy some books on the subject. Good link to that one in particular. I believe the truck in the photo is an Oldsmobile by the way. Thanks again.

chester

Ended up copying a gear driven unit I had some photos of in a pretty crude way but from a few feet away this scale can be somewhat convincing. The curved gear is merely corrugated roofing cut into thin strips. The truck is a 1929 Autocar 'Dispatch', a 2 ton, 60 hp. six cyl. they built until 1935. The 'big brother' of this truck was called the 'Ranger' that had a 90 hp rated engine with beefier tranny and rear as well as the more obvious differences of 10 lug wheels, larger rad and split windshield. The Ranger was weight rated up to 5 tons.

finescalerr

Chuck Doan

Looks good! The gear is very convincing.
"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

TRAINS1941

Why isn't there mouse-flavored cat food?
George Carlin

marc_reusser

I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

granitechops

Nice!
sits in its context convincingly

at a tangent,
whats the building in the background?
its got interesting arches,  brick?, special shapes brick or corbelled out?

Don in sunny Devon, England

chester

Thank you all. Don, that is a Railway Design Associates injected plastic structure in brick that I covered in plaster. The platform is scratch built.