• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

1/35 Caterpillar SIXTY

Started by Marc988, August 03, 2012, 12:14:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marc988

After a (too long) pause in the hobby, due to moving houses and other priorities, I have started a new project; a 1/35 Caterpillar SIXTY.

Some time ago I received some pictures of older logging equipment and among them were pictures of a tractor pulling a " logging arch" on tracks (don't know if thats the right name  ::) ).
Having seen that picture, the idea of building a tractor with such an arch came high on the wish-list.
At first I intended to use a D7 kit by Resicast since I build one of those before.

Reading about John T excellent build of his S-65 triggered the idea again and so I bought a Trumpeter kit and also ordered the LZ models conversion for the Caterpillar 60. This was just the "excuse" to get started again   ;D

The idea is to at first build the Caterpillar and build the arch and possibly a diorama later. This is also necessary because apart from the few pictures I need to find more information on the arches in order to scratch one. So if anyone has some information on those, I would be very interested !!

Back to the Cat .... I think the Trumpeter kit has been mentioned some times here so I will not comment further on that.
The conversion by LZ Models is excellent. The kit is very extensive and it replaces a lot (and I mean a LOT) of the original kit parts. Basically only the running gear and the tracks of the kit remain ! Gearbox, engine, frame, radiator etc everything is replaced by the conversion parts !! And that for only € 35,=  :o  
In short I can highly recommend this kit.

If you would like to have a better impression of the kit simply go to the website  http://www.lzmodels.wbs.cz/  and download the instructions.

I have only just started so no pictures yet but as soon as I have something to show I will post them here.

Cheers,
Marc

PS I have found a limited number of pictures of the engine on the web, so if anyone here has some pictures of the engine, those would be very welcome.

Chuck Doan

Try a search on Flickr...bet you find something there.
"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

eTraxx

Ed Traxler

Lugoff, Camden & Northern RR

Socrates: "I drank WHAT?"

Scratchman

Caterpillar Sixty Photo Archive from Iconografix has around 135 photos of the Caterpillar sixty at work.

Gordon Birrell

http://www.flickr.com/photos/77318580@N00/

NORCALLOGGER

Marc,

Here is a picture I found on the net a couple years ago when I was searching for information on a build.
I like this picture because it is the only one I found that was painted in close to the correct color for the early sixty's.

Here is one of the Sixty's I built in  1:20 scale

The tracked arch is a direct evolution of the "Big Wheels" and was developed after the introduction of "Cats" to the Western logging forest.  I have a bunch of pictures around here somewhere of a couple different arches that I had measured up for future projects.  If your interested and can find a copy of the book "ENDLESS TRACKS IN THE WOODS" by James Young and Jerry Budy it is a valuable resource for information on logging equipment.

Looking forward to your project
Rick

Marc988

Thank you for all the replies.

@Rick; if you were to find any information on the arches, I would be very interested.

The project is kicked off  ;D
I hope the pictures will give an impression of the quality. Note the share of original kit parts vs conversion kit parts.  ;)