• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Cool Chipping

Started by JESTER, March 22, 2012, 08:58:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JESTER

Chuck Doan

Pretty much looks like my Matchbox and Corgi toys before we had had fiery collisions. 
"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

Seattle Dave

Maybe that's the way to get the effect:  Let your kids play with things for a few years.... ;D
Dave VanderWal

JESTER

Similar to this, I was trying to replicate chipping on a chrome surface and did this as a test.
I used the salt technique.

lab-dad

Tim,
For chipping chrome look for some silver foil.
I bought a small package at Michael's with several small sheets, an adhesive pen and a burnisher.
I used it on the radiator surround on my big Plymouth to simulate a chrome grille.
I think it worked good.
-Marty

JESTER

Thanks Marty! I'll try it out. The best rattle can chrome I found was by Dupli-Color but I still didn't get the results I wanted.

finescalerr

What's wrong with that? Seriously. What doesn't look right? -- Russ

JESTER

Thanks Russ. The problem was that the Rocket model I made would be handled and the chrome paint scrapes off if you scratch it with your finger.

All of my stuff up till now is over engineered and could probably weather a storm so I didn't like the fact that i had to use kid gloves with it.

Is there a gloss varnish I could have sealed it with? I've only used Dull-Cote on all my projects.

-

finescalerr

Dullcote is neither completely dull nor does it offer much protection. I've used Krylon matte and the results were better but not as protective as something else might be. Maybe some of the paint experts will weigh in on this subject. -- Russ

Andi Little

Ahem!........

Not so much a paint expert but just to add another option.

Being in the trade so to speak? - I've always used an Artist's "Matting agent" or "Matt Varnish". My own preference being the Windsor and Newton brand. Although a comparatively modern material in Fine Art terms it is never the less formulated for "archival" performance and is made to a consistent top quality spec'.
It won't take kindly to open abuse but will handle reasonably well - also it's capable of being "burnished" to a sheen for any satinesque effects you might desire - I've discovered.

....... witness Bill and Ted..........

A couple of likely lads that were discovered inside a pair of Studio Gibli characters.
KBO..................... Andi.

Ray Dunakin

I've never seen a rattle can chrome paint yet that would retain its appearance when sprayed with any kind of clear coat.

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

Andi Little

Ooops.................. I seem to have got all confuddled somehow?

Sorry, I must have read every other line and got the wrong end of the stick - Ray's right; There isn't a "chrome in a can that will take a topcoat of anything and remain "shiny".
Again - in the past I've used Bare Metal Foil or gummed aluminium sheeting. This will cover with most stuff - including future and maintain its "chrome" effect.

Ahem! ......... try again................The radiator on this MG is BMF coated with a thinned coat of enamel tinted marginally with black to stop it "yellowing".
For reference the headlight buckets are "kit chrome" - again with a coat of "black gloss" as opposed to Gloss black; ............... I'm not actually helping am I?

Sorry about completely buggering up the first post - in mine own defence it was "stupid o'clock" in the morning and I probably wasn't even awake. Serves me right for trying to join in!!!

Seattle Dave

Andi - Would you happen to be "Yadster" in another life?  That MG looks a little familiar to me, but I'm old and afflicted with CRS.....
Dave VanderWal

finescalerr

What is the solvent for Windsor and Newton Artist's Matte Varnish? -- Russ

Andi Little

And in reverse order.....................

Russ,............. Yes, sorry I should of said shouldn't I; In the main I use the Acrylic [water based] Matt Varnish, and this is what's been used in the pic' of Bill and Ted' initially. It's pretty fab stuff but you must put it on in thin coats if you want to build it up. Thick coats or too soon a reapplication and it will stay "green" and satin. Needs two or three thin coats for a durable [handleable] finish, no real chore though as most brush marks "drop out" as it dries.

Dave ..................... oops! I is undone!!

Yes Dave I was known as Yad' on most all the boards I've frequented - for eases sake still am on the old HH board. The Yadster though doesn't really exist any more as I stopped using the handle after the accident, and as it became obvious that with the lack of clarity and concentration, coordination and psycho-motor skills that I couldn't build to anywhere near the standard I expected of myself. I'm a little embarrassed that you recognised me from such an old build - there are some newer builds but they just take me so much longer now-a-days and most folk get bored waiting for me to finish them. But hey I'm thrilled if I can get two glued surfaces together!!!  :-\