• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Dodge .............old fashioned kit conversion

Started by Gordon Ferguson, October 20, 2011, 04:51:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gordon Ferguson

When Nick posted his civilian crane conversion of the Dodge ambulance,
http://www.finescalerr.com/smf/index.php?topic=1540.msg28444#msg28444   it both inspired me and reminded me that somewhere in the loft was an Airfix 3/4 ton Dodge ............... it has been up there for at least 20+ years.

looking thro the reference library found this picture

Great thought I, a nice simple old fashioned kit conversion ........ a break from scratch building ....... knock that out in a week or so......... wrong!

Now, despite repeated attempts by friends to tell me different the Airfix kit is basically OK, reasonably accurate if a bit coarse in places  however my mistake was to find on-line a Dodge workshop manual with lots of lovely drawings, etc ........... so what do I do, I start tinkering and trying to improve the basic chassis ......... bit of thinning, few additions and after a couple of weeks got to this stage

Now bare in mind I am modelling this thing the right way up, so very little of this will ever be seen again .......... that nice canvas jacket with buckles up the back is coming over the horizon again.

Anyway continued on with the body, in the cargo compartment everything seemed very square and new , this model is meant to represent something that is at least 20 years old. So I used a technique I have done before on modern warships and sanded of the the top detail on the storage compartment , built a frame work out of 10 thou card and then covered that with 5 thou card ...... gives you that sort of rippled effect you get with thin metal over an internal  frame work. Hopefully will show a little better when some paint is applied.

Work continued on this quick build, a new cab being built , roof and side boards for the rear compartment, etc. The doors were  fun, I basically just copied puckhogs work http://www.finescalerr.com/smf/index.php?topic=1451.msg26349#msg26349  including leaving a channel for adding the window glass later but all in plastic rather than metal

So here is where we are now , most of the bits are just placed in position both to ease painting and as you can see to allow me to set up and display  the model showing some of the construction for a small show in a few weeks time

Gordon

Ray Dunakin

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

finescalerr

Barney

Two "Wows" and another "Satisfactory" plus an AIRFIX award for the year -nice work
Barney

marc_reusser

Beautiful! Really a wonderfal bit of scratch work and detailing to bring this kit up to snuff. Good luck at the show (neat little base as well, like the frame stands/braces). Look forward to your painting on this!
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

Junior

Although I have already previewed this project I say it again - great looking conversion! Where is that show your´e taking it to? Maybe one of the Phoenix meetings.

Anders  ;D

Gordon Ferguson

Hi Anders,

The show is the Slim Gauge Circle do at at Bilton, Barney asked if I could provide a couple of models for the Phoenix Group display/workshop they are puting on there .................. I can't attend so have been trying to mount/display the models  and provide a brief explanation of what i am trying to achieve so that they don't have to remember or waste time puting the models together.
Gordon

Tom Neeson

Beautiful work...might be nice to have a picture of the real truck with your display.

Tom
No Scribed Siding!