• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

1/48 Scale 1920's Truck Build

Started by marc_reusser, October 05, 2007, 01:33:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

marc_reusser

Trying to get over my jet lag, and while waiting for some parts to dry on the Stock Car, I pulled out a model I had started a while back, and did some more work on it.

This will end up being a 1920's style truck. Freelance, but based on styles and etails from the period. I am planning to build it as only the frame rear, so that I can build various beds or box enclosures to sit on the back, depending on what I need it for (this will give me the opportinity to reuse the truck in different photo scenes or dioramas if I wish to do so)

The basis for the truck are the fenders and running board from an old Renwall kit. The rest is scratchbuilt or a collection of disparate parts from my junk box......radiator from Grant Line, Engine from a Bandai Jeep, Rear springs from Evergreen Hill, Photo etched parts from various 1/35 Armor kits....etc.

So far the hardest thing about this project, is that it is extremely fragile to handle.

Marc

I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

marc_reusser

Not much progress...but time consuming. Right after the previous photos I lightly shot the whole thing with some "Mr Surfacer 1200" primer, to unify the color, so that I could get a better feel of what I still wanted/needed to add detail wise.

I still need to do the Gas/Brake/Clutch Pedals, but I was able to find a something I could use as a lever on the steering column in a PE kit of a 1/72 Fokker biplane. The Headlights are From Grandt, the "mounts" on the side of the radiator are from a Grandt detail set for D&RGW Brake rigging. The insode of the cab received some rivet and bracing detailing. The brace is made from .003 sheet copper, the rivets are Tichy, and the bolts are Grandt. I needed a place to store a "mud timber" and some chain on the back of the cab, so I made some hooks from some .005 brass.

I also worked a bit on the wheels using modified Grandt NBW castings. The rims for the "dual" rear tires are the spare tire storage rims from two Renwal kits. The side of the bonnet was made from modified HO Diesel louvers with a handle from a Grandt boxcar detail set (in retrospect it's a bit chunky...but it will have to do), the clasps are PE parts from 1/35 German Tool Holders.

I also worked on modifying a Renwal front axle for this...but after about 3 hours on it , I felt it just didn't work, so I am now working on building one from scratch.

M-Works

marc_reusser

Two more pics that go with the previous post.

M-Works

TRAINS1941

Marc

As usual just some outstanding work.  I just keep learning more from ever post you do, an hopefully I will have the talent to use it in the future.
Just taking it all in and learning.

Jerry
Why isn't there mouse-flavored cat food?
George Carlin

HectorBell

Mark, Renwall?  Ye Gods, I had a Renwall e-Type Jag in 1/48th once,
Hector

RoughboyModelworks

Looking forward to seeing this model develop Marc... I've been cobbling together references, bits and pieces over the past couple of years with the aim of scratching a similar vehicle for a 1:48 Albion, Maine 2' diorama, ca. 1933 I'm working on. And speaking of Renwal, I have an old Renwal 1910 Stanley Steamer kit that I've been hanging on to for years. Unfortunately its molding quality leaves a lot to be desired, main reason it's still on the shelf. Another valued kit I have socked away is a Lindberg 1:48 Curtiss Jenny biplane which awaits just the right inspiration to become part of a larger diorama. As always there are more kits and projects than time it seems...

Bill

marc_reusser

Deacon,

Sounds like a real neat dio in the making. The Renwalls do leave a lot to be desired...but I have found that they do offer some "usable/pasable" parts for a scratchbuild...and for inspiration...at least for a vehicle that is implied/plausible...but not 100% accurate to a prototype. The neat thing about building vehicles from this period, is that there is such a huge selection to choose from for inspiration/ideas. There seemed to be a 100 or so auto/truck mfrs around this period....and thats not to mention all the cobbled together stuff I have seen in photos.

I also have an old 1/48 plane kit stashed away....its a Fokker.....I was thinking of doing some kind of WWI water-front hangar scene for a float plane, that was serviced by a small 60cm ga. RR. (once saw one like this by someone else, and it really just got under my skin). ;D

The Lindbergh kit I have is the "Fireboat"....I was always hoping to someday convert the hull into a 1/48 scale "African Queen" type of steamer.

....and ...like you said....so many more one dreams of someday building.  ;D

Marc

M-Works