• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

freelanced 36 ft boxcar

Started by Bill Gill, June 06, 2018, 07:08:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill Gill

Acknowledging this is from the peanut gallery, here is a freelanced 36 ft boxcar I've been working on inspired by this prototype photo.

Bill Gill

This began as a desire to find a way to use bits and pieces from leftovers drawer. The body is an MDC Roundhouse old time boxcar, the frame is a Mantua coil car. The stake pockets and details were removed from the car and rivets were added by pin pricking their locations and then adding dots of JB Weld epoxy for the rivet heads. The ends are from some unknown flatcar, the Fox trucks are from an MDC Roundhouse old time tank car and the wheel sets are from an Ertl gondola.

Bill Gill

A lumber door was added to the A end. It began as a reefer roof hatch.

Bill Gill

The B end

Bill Gill

Painted and weathered.

Bill Gill

Comparison to another MDC Roundhouse 36ft boxcar with fewer changes.

TRAINS1941

Why isn't there mouse-flavored cat food?
George Carlin

Lawton Maner

finescalerr

I've always been partial to trains from 1880 to 1910 or so but modelers have had almost no interest in them. It's gratifying to see a project representing that period come together. A very adequate model. Do you have an appropriate locomotive or will the boxcar represent an antique? -- Russ

Bill Gill

Thanks, Jerry and Lawton.
Thanks, Russ, both. I have an older steam engine, but it also is an anachronism for my time frame, though I'm not as strict with dates on my own layout as on the NEB&W.
I liked the look of the car and discovered I'd accumulated enough odds and ends to approximate it.

Here is the prototype lumber door used as a reference.

Ray Dunakin

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

Greg Hile

Bill Gill

Lawton Maner

More of us need to look into the 55 gallon drum of leftover parts we have in our closets to find inspiration for projects like yours.  This is an inspiring build.

Bill Gill

More of us need to look into the 55 gallon drum of leftover parts we have in our closets to find inspiration for projects like yours.  This is an inspiring build. Lawton Maner

Thanks, Lawten. It's sort of like how I cook... Hmmm, what can be made with what's in the fridge? :)