• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Pullman-Standard Mini-Hy Cube boxcar in 1:29

Started by Burl, October 21, 2017, 09:28:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hydrostat

Burl, very interesting approach. Did you ever try to use 0.1mm brass or copper sheet, clamped tight at the later 'welding area' with some aluminum blocks and then heat it with a torch?

Cheers,
Volker
I'll make it. If I have to fly the five feet like a birdie.
I'll fly it. I'll make it.

The comprehensive book about my work: "Vollendete Baukunst"

Burl

Volker: not for this.  Don't know how I would mold something during clamping.  Material thickness also has a big effect on how it ripples.  Stuff that behaves "to scale" is usually very easily damaged when handling.

I have used thin copper sheet for stamping roof panels, and waffle sides. 

finescalerr

This is sophisticated stuff. Of course Volker already is familiar enough with it to offer suggestions. (And here I am, messing around with primitive paper structures ....) -- Russ

Hydrostat

Burl,

to start of with, no, I didn't try it myself. Please excuse that sloppy artwork, but it shows the idea behind it. Annealing the sheet between the angle sections should make it warping while the clamped areas keep cool and stable. I thought of using the brass sheets for building the car (or then making a mold of the whole sidewall ...)

So far for theory. For the Rollwagen project (Codename Rosebud  ::)) I had to solder a rather large sheet of 0.5mm brass sheet to an solid 7 mm brass core and people told me, that it doesn't work without having the sheet warp. It works with some clamping during soldering http://www.finescalerr.com/smf/index.php?topic=2355.msg51524#msg51524. Maybe the principle works the same if you want a not clamped area to warp.

Cheers,
Volker

Burl

Sounds like the fundamental theorem of scratch building: that which should stay flat, will warp; and that which should warp will, will remain flat.

Hydrostat

If it's that easy just backflip the part  :D.