• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

10 1/4" Feldbahn Diorama in 1:16

Started by mad gerald, April 22, 2017, 11:17:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mad gerald

Quote from: Lawton Maner on December 02, 2017, 09:25:39 AM
The lighting in the last photo gives the appearance of a mid morning in the summer shot.  Well done.  
A little bit of dirt in the corners and scattered clusters of grass in the tile joints and the last picture will totally fool even the best of us.  
Imagine: This is just the mock up ...  ;D ... and here's another shot (with iPhone), showing the new Feldbahnwagen in 1/16 scale for 16,5 mm track (representing 10.25" gauge) as well ...

finescalerr

mad gerald

The couplings consist of individual parts, made from different styrene strips and shapes, assembled with acetone. To get accurate positioned drill holes I made simples patterns - from styrene as well. Manufactoring these couplings was quite tedious, but fortunately I only need a couple of them.

mad gerald

I finally managed to find/create a matching vehicle for my 1/16 scale Feldbahn, which seems to be authentic enough to run on 10.25 prototype gauge. The chassis has already been made from styrene, the bodywork is still a mockup made from printed cardboard. Prototypes are electric sit down rider tractors .......... which have been occasionally converted to run on narrow (or minimum) gauge Feldbahn.

How would you name such a vehicle? Storage battery loco? Critter? Trammer? Speeder? Rail tractor? Or else ... ?

Cheers

finescalerr

Maybe a battery operated critter? Anyway, it looks good. Very clean construction. I'm glad you are making some progress. -- Russ

mad gerald

G'day all!

I built a wooden box for my micro layout, which has identically dimensions as the white plastic box on the right to fit in the corresponding shelf unit of the well-known swedish home-center. This is propably gonna be one of the smallest functional layouts (diorama) in 1/16 scale.

Not quite sure yet, if I'm going to continue reporting further progress here, as IMHO (railroad) fora suffer from an increasing lack of popularity and participation. Many former forum members - genererally speaking - show their work in own blogs or on f***book, some fora have already been closed (or are going to be closed). Apart from that I'd like to spend some time on creating art ... may be the time for taking a break ... ?!  ::)

Cheers

peterh

I like reading about your progress on this forum.
Peter

finescalerr

I always look forward to your posts and really wish you would continue to stay active here. I don't understand why people prefer Facebook or other social media sites. Aside from all the negatives we read about them in the news, they also do little or nothing to inspire people who do not already "follow" somebody. (Besides, who wants to "follow" when one may lead?)

This is not a typical forum. We seem far more polite and helpful to each other than any other group I have found (in any field). In general I would say members of this forum also are more talented and perceptive. Why would you or anyone else want to give that up?

I always thought people here enjoy seeing your art. Why deprive us of that pleasure?

If enough people feel as you do, I will have to close the forum. I hope that will not be necessary.

Anyway, those are my thoughts.

Russ

Barney

My thoughts on Facebook forums - not a lot to say - every day friends saying something that rely don't mean much - photos of work benches (cluttered)  with a model somewhere
and not much on how it was built and generally confused issues - Im no angel but the swearing is totally uncalled for ! and last of all its just hassle and confusing to us "old school type"
who's computing skills are poor -I will stick with the devil I know - and only hope that such talented people on this Forum stay with it. + that help is always at hand just ask !
Barney

Bill Gill

Gerald, Reading your thoughts about and watching your progress on your projects has given me a lot to think about in my own modeling attempts. I was reluctant to join when Russ invited me but have learned a lot here about excellence. I hope you continue posting. 

Greg Hile

Let me echo what the others have said. Gerald, you are a valuable member of this forum and I would hate to see you leave. So please don't.

As for Facebook, I do belong to several railroad and modeling FB groups and, and while I do see some value in the FB groups, I have found much the same thing as Barney. What we have here is much different from those groups, and I find this forum far more valuable to me personally for just the reasons Barney and Russ stated and for the camaraderie (not to mention somehow feeling like women in thong bikinis are just around my corner).

mad gerald

Guys, thank you for feedback and all the nice words - very much appreciated. I entirely agree, that this forum (and the helpfulness of it's members) is outstandig. Perhaps it turned out to be a rash thought, taking a break ...  ::) ... so it seems you'd like me to continue sharing my humble contributions furthermore?! OK, then stay tuned ...  8)

Ray Dunakin

I too enjoy your contributions to the forum and would hate to see you leave.
Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

mad gerald

I did not like the DIY wooden box anymore and decided to use a matching box (from the well-known swedish home-center) for the shelf. It turned out to be a little tricky, to achieve a clean and propper cutout with only very simple tools. The alingment of the layout itself has to be adapted (now in line with transverse side), but it's only a mock up at the moment anyway.

SandiaPaul

Another person here that loves this forum. I don't participate much(I'm doing a different kind of modeling these days) but I look in nearly every day. Its my one connection to "model railroading" that I still pay attention to.

Paul
Paul