• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Wheels

Started by eTraxx, March 30, 2014, 05:01:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

eTraxx

I was playing with turning acrylic yesterday - finding out that I had to run the lathe pretty slow to keep the plastic from melting. Huh. I need a couple of wheels for the trucks on a crane I am building. Got these two turned .. need two more. They are .170 in. dia - the groove is .030 in. wide and .020 in. deep to fit code 55 rail. The rims are .012 in. and the hole for the shaft .040 in.

This might be seen as an example of OCD since these will mostly be hidden inside the truck (pair of Evergreen channel) .. but I wanted to see if I could make them. :) (well OCD on any forum other this THIS one)

.. and no .. that's NOT a giant penny!

Ed Traxler

Lugoff, Camden & Northern RR

Socrates: "I drank WHAT?"

finescalerr

They look pretty adequate to me. -- Russ

Xavier Alvarez

Gordon Ferguson

Very nice Ed, about to start practicing for something similar on the lathe I bought 2 years ago and still not used  ???
Gordon

marc_reusser

Nice! (I could use 4 while you're at it :D )
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

Chuck Doan

I find turning plastic to very relaxing. Might be the fumes though.
"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

SandiaPaul

You are right acrylic will tend to melt. One thing make sure you have CAST material not extruded. Turns much nicer and while it will still melt does so less. Why not aluminum, or brass?

Nice job. What's OCD ;)
Paul

mad gerald

Quote from: SandiaPaul on May 16, 2014, 03:22:52 AM
What's OCD ;)
... as far as I'm familiar with acronyms: Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder ...  ::)  ;)

eTraxx

Ahhh .. evidently I should have said OCPD - The phrase obsessive–compulsive has become part of the English lexicon, and is often used in an informal or caricatured manner to describe someone who is excessively meticulous, perfectionistic, absorbed, or otherwise fixated. Although these signs are present in OCD, a person who exhibits them does not necessarily have OCD, but may instead have obsessive–compulsive personality disorder (OCPD)

Note that I would imply anyone on this forum would be - excessively meticulous, perfectionistic, absorbed, or otherwise fixated.
Ed Traxler

Lugoff, Camden & Northern RR

Socrates: "I drank WHAT?"

finescalerr

I don't mean to be meticulous, perfectionistic, or fixated but your final sentence should not have include the "dash". -- ssuR