• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Carter Bros. Combo boxcar

Started by lab-dad, July 26, 2015, 01:47:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hauk

This project makes me wonder why I am still fooling around in "braille scale"!

The heft of 1/16 scale models is fascinating. Especially when the craftsmanship is as excellent as in this case.
Regards, Hauk
--
"Yet for better or for worse we do love things that bear the marks of grime, soot, and weather, and we love the colors and the sheen that call to mind the past that made them"  -Junichiro Tanizaki

Remembrance Of Trains Past

Bill Gill

Marty, that's impressively fine work.

lab-dad

Thanks guys!
The only problem with going big is having enough room!
Here is a good sense of size.

Ray has the right idea about going outside!
Too damn hot here for that though!
Marty

Ray Dunakin

Wait, you mean you're not really an old Jimmy Carterish guy in suspenders and big hat?    ;)

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

finescalerr

Marty, the problem isn't that the model is too big. You are too small! -- ssuR

Stoker

Quote from: Ray Dunakin on September 14, 2015, 09:44:54 PM
Wait, you mean you're not really an old Jimmy Carterish guy in suspenders and big hat?    ;)

LOL- Was thinking the same thing.

This boxcar is really over the top cool, amazing what you can do in 1/16. The functioning fasteners and such just blows me away!

Speaking of larger scales, I recently (well several months ago now) had some nice clear Sugar Pine scraps building up in the shop and decided to run some 1/16 scale lumber. What great fun, I found myself making little hammer and saw sounds when stacking it up and such. I had about ~1/2 cubic meter of ~6"-24" clear shorts that I mostly buzzed into scale lumber lengths, so I had an instant 1/16 scale lumber yard.  ;D As a side note to that, around that time I had messaged Russ that I had some scale lumber that some folks here might be interested in  (mostly 1/48 target sizes), and if it would be ok to mention it on the forum, and if so where, etc. I never got a message back (PM here on the forum) and figured "Well, I guess that would be a No." and ended up packing away my lumber collection and have been busy all summer. A couple weeks ago I checked an old Email I rarely use anymore, and which it turns out, was what I had used to sign up for this forum.  Lo and behold, it turns out Russ had actually responded by Email instead of PM  and said it would be ok. Doh! If I get around to unpacking this stuff in the near future I will make a thread to show what I have or could make, as I have a lot more of this SP getting used in the near future which generates a huge pile of nice clean shorts (and sticks) that I would really hate to trash or burn. It is quite a large quantity that I have already,and of unique character; some having pretty good looking saw marks and such.
Regards, James                        Modeling in 1:48 after a lengthy bout of Scalatosis Indecisivis

lab-dad

I guess I shoulda put my hat and suspenders on!

James the wood pile (in 1/16) sounds great!
At least in 1/16 we can make most of our own lumber.
I think if I had a thickness sander I could do it all.
-Marty

Allan G

Marty; where did you get the couplers? Allan

lab-dad

Allan,
The couplers are from Ozark, I need to look at the number.
BUT, they are highly modified. All I used from them are the actual coupler castings.
I added material and spring to them to make them operate like the prototype.
The brackets inside the draft gears were drawn in Sketup and printed at Shapeways.
I'm more than happy to share whatever you need/want if you want to do some.

-Marty

Allan G

Thanx Marty. They look great and I'm sure they'll work great. The entire project looks awesome. Thanx for sharing.....Allan

Design-HSB

Hi Marty,

was very nice of you to watch along with your car.
1:16 is somehow also a great interesting scale. there really is the DIY necessary and that is you have succeeded excellently.
Regards Helmut
the journey is the goal

lab-dad

Thanks Allan & Helmut!

When I switched from N to O scale I told myself i would scratch build everything I could.
By switching to 1/16th I really dont have a choice but to scratch build.
Of course i still cheat by using some commercial castings but i am getting fairly self- sufficient.
On Monday i needed brackets for the lower sliding track. I drew them and yesterday they left Shapeways! After doing so much brass on the shay it's nice to do something different! I'm looking forward to some trackwork and scenery!

-Marty

finescalerr

Track work and scenery? Will you build a diorama or will it be a "layout" large enough for the models to move back and forth? -- Russ

lab-dad

Russ,
Who knows?
Im thinking of doing an 8' length so I can run trains for some length.
I pray I will have some kind of layout (long diorama) someday...

Today I worked on seeing if I can cut .032" grooves in the center of .120" rails and stiles for the solid doors.

Marty

Lawton Maner

Marty:

Put a grab handle on it and Russ can use the box car for a Man Purse.

The only criticism I can find is there should be a key locking the buffers to the centre beams. This reduces the chance for the coupler to be pulled from the car under load.