• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Back to the Big

Started by Chuck Doan, August 01, 2012, 07:02:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malachi Constant

Ignoring the fine finishes & such for the moment, your knack for picking up and including "boring" details adds greatly to the realism.  In day-to-day life, we see all these stupid, boring, ordinary things and dismiss them as un-interesting ... but we do notice them and the are VERY MUCH a part of dull old "reality" ... so then we see (various other) models with the cliche signs and whiz-bang "cool" details and go "uh-huh" ... then we look at your stuff, and along with the careful finishes, you've got all of those "reality anchors" or whatever the heck you call them ... and it makes ya pause ... and think ... wait a minute, came here to look at models ... is this a model ... or is this the real thing ... think it's a model ... damn, that's cool.  8)

So, in a nutshell, boring crap is an essential part of your fine modeling!  ;D

Cheers,
Dallas
-- Dallas Mallerich  (Just a freakin' newbie who stumbled into the place)
Email me on the "Contact Us" page at www.BoulderValleyModels.com

Peter_T1958

Chuck: Stop that, please! You are already millions of miles away from most of us... :-[

Cheers, Peter
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication" -Leonardo Da Vinci-

https://industrial-heritage-in-scale.blogspot.ch/

finescalerr

Satisfactory. -- Russ

TRAINS1941

I guess this is were your saying comes into play!!!!

"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

Just can't image how you notice all these little things.  But glad you do.

Jerry
Why isn't there mouse-flavored cat food?
George Carlin

Ray Dunakin

Phenomenal, as usual!

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

Andi Little

And you might wonder why I don't post my stuff here anymore? ... I haven't actually built anything recently - but that's besides the point.

Fantastic as ever.
KBO..................... Andi.

marc_reusser

Just wonderful.....and I second what Dallas said about the small every day details that most often get missed, or poorly done...which you capture and do so well, that make it feel alive.
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

Arno Boudoiron

MASIGMON

In 1/16 can you please advise the thickness & width of the basswood boards you used for the clapboard siding.
Using Ranger Distress Crackle paint looks right on in 1/16 scale.  I have tried it in 1:20 & looks o.k. however I just think the bigger the scale the better it looks.
Over the 4th drove down to St Augustine & looked at a few old house sidings with the peal paint.  Very close to what you are doing.  Here in Florida I see more greying under the paint from the boards being exposed to the Florida sun & weather.  Also toward the bottom of these structures I noticed alot of **AK** green slim (from algee & Oak tree with moss) that Marc must have applied for an upcoming feature in The Weathering Magazine

Chuck I look forward to your answer of the Midwest boards you use if it is not too much trouble

Mike Sigmon
Jacksonville, Fl

Chuck Doan

Thanks all! I guess boring is good!

Mike, I am using .03 x .50 size for the clapboards. Scale 8" wide with approx. 7" reveal. They make .375 (6") wide also, but I wanted to cut down on the number of pieces so I chose a wider size.

I have enjoyed using the Ranger paint; it's made this project much more interesting to me.

"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

nk

Chuck, I really like how you have included 3D printing as part of your routine operation. Its very inspiring to me. Thanks for posting these wonderful details of your build.
You may ask yourself: "Well, how did I get here?"

http://public.fotki.com/nkhandekar/

jim s-w

This is so utterly mundane that it's brilliant!

I'm not convinced that Chuck sees things the way the rest of the world do.  The techniques are superb but it's the observation that does it or me. 

Cheers

Jim
Jim Smith-Wright

finescalerr

I don't understand you guys. Chuck's structure is falling apart. It needs far more than new paint; the thing is utterly decrepit. And you encourage his slovenly maintenance? -- Russ

Chuck Doan

Thanks Jim and Naryan! I like 3D printing too!

Part of the foundation is kicked out to simulate shifting-might be a bit too unsubtle...could wind up behind a shrubbery.

I stripped my first finish and started again on my brick foundation. Modeler Bill Gill suggested more texture so I did some more carving. The printed material is easy to  work. I also added some efflorescence as suggested by Marc, but only after I looked it up to see what it was (white staining). I think I am liking it better though I don't know how much will show behind the foliage and all that might get added.

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

shropshire lad

Pedant's Corner .

Efflorescence is an effect I would more associate with newer brickwork built with cement mortar . By the time your building reached the age it would appear to be I would have thought the salts would have been washed out . Of course , as always , there are exceptions in the real world .

However , what you have done on yours looks great and I wouldn't suggest for a second that you change it . I would even consider adding more white to give the effect of worn off limewash .

Nick