• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Back to the Big

Started by Chuck Doan, August 01, 2012, 07:02:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gordon Ferguson

Quote from: Chuck Doan on December 27, 2012, 08:08:28 AM

, the panes are .625 x .750

That big , and here was me thinking you were doing great work at such a small size  ;)

Sorry Chuck , sarcasm is the lowest form of humour but your work is so impressive that I don't really know what else to say .......... And if I did not have a laugh occasionally, I would look at your work and as they say "take up knitting"
Gordon

shropshire lad

Quote from: gfadvance on December 27, 2012, 10:18:57 AM
Quote from: Chuck Doan on December 27, 2012, 08:08:28 AM

, the panes are .625 x .750

That big , and here was me thinking you were doing great work at such a small size  ;)

Sorry Chuck , sarcasm is the lowest form of humour but your work is so impressive that I don't really know what else to say .......... And if I did not have a laugh occasionally, I would look at your work and as they say "take up knitting"

So , how is my new Christmas scarf coming along , Gordon ?

Ken Hamilton

Chuck, that window is magnificent.  There's nothing that gives it away as not being full-size.
Ken Hamilton
www.wildharemodels.com
http://public.fotki.com/khamilton/models/

Chuck Doan

Thanks Gordon! Thank you Ken. Your new hallway is quite a treat as well.
"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

Chuck Doan

A couple of quick gloomy late afternoon pics (not too great for colour):

I haven't been to the bench much lately, but I have managed to make little progress. I installed some security bars on my window based on an old North Carolina country store. They are .045 dia. styrene glued to some Evergreen strip stock. I took short pieces of .015 styrene rod and glued them in to represent welds; some softening with liquid cement and some  shaping with a toothpick created the beads.

The assembly was painted with flat black spray, then hairspray, then Dullcote, followed by brush painting with thinned Polly Scale white. Then chipped with a stiff brush and a damp toothpick. Rusted with gouache and pigment powders  and attached with epoxy.

The Closed sign was printed on matte presentation paper and then cut out. I colored the back with Floquil Aged white (which bled thru) and then gave it a quick dip in Acetone to mottle the coloring. I then sealed both sides with Dullcote and then added stains to the front using gouache thinned with Windex, and chased with light air blasts from a lens cleaning bulb.

The sill was littered with chipped paint (saved from the previous chipping of the surrounding wood) and bits of crumbled putty (Squadron white putty) and sawdust chip "leaves". The ratty screen is 180 mesh Stainless filter screen from McMaster-Carr. Dipped (and thinned) in etchant and rusted with gouache. I copied a tacky installation where the screen was just nailed (or stapled) directly to the window frame, but I only did a small remnant so as not to hide all the previous window detailing. Still needs more work, which at my current rate of progress should be done by summer.

"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

lab-dad

too bad you put those damn bars up - i woulda' stole the sign! ::)
great info on a super litte project!
-mj

Ray Dunakin

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

Barney

How do you describe a "huff and a sigh followed by a head ache and a sort of sinking feeling " just fantastic workmanship Mr Chuck
A depressed Barney

finescalerr

Most satisfactory step-by-step and execution. -- Russ

nk

Chuck, this is mind-boggling. Absolutely correct down to the last crumb...as always!
You may ask yourself: "Well, how did I get here?"

http://public.fotki.com/nkhandekar/

SandiaPaul

Chuck,

Please be careful around that chipped paint,it looks like there is lead in it.
;)

Paul
Paul

TRAINS1941

Just excellent.  Beautiful execution.

Jerry
Why isn't there mouse-flavored cat food?
George Carlin

Malachi Constant

Quote from: Chuck Doan on February 11, 2013, 07:28:19 AM

A couple of quick gloomy late afternoon pics ...

Gloomy subject ... gloomy pix ... great combo!  Stunning results.  ;)  -- Dallas
-- Dallas Mallerich  (Just a freakin' newbie who stumbled into the place)
Email me on the "Contact Us" page at www.BoulderValleyModels.com

marc_reusser

Uhhhh........

I'm going to go and sulk........and likely have a stiff drink or two to drown my feelings of inadequacy.
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

Malachi Constant

Quote from: marc_reusser on February 12, 2013, 03:35:12 AM
Uhhhh........

I'm going to go and sulk........and likely have a stiff drink or two to drown my feelings of inadequacy.

You have to let that go as a passing thought ... no way in hell just two stiff drinks would be enough!

It's a bit like looking at a solar eclipse, if you don't take proper precautions or stare too long, you're just gonna hurt yourself!  ;)   -- Dallas
-- Dallas Mallerich  (Just a freakin' newbie who stumbled into the place)
Email me on the "Contact Us" page at www.BoulderValleyModels.com