• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Back to the Big

Started by Chuck Doan, August 01, 2012, 07:02:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chuck Doan

I received my Snap-Tite gas pump kit from Shapeways yesterday. It is 1/16th scale, and was printed in the FUD material.  These are the parts that were printed so far (the 6-32 nut will be used as a thread insert for mounting):

Here it is quickly assembled. The sides (green in the 3D model) printed very straight. They snap over pins on the base, and the top cover fits over pins on the top of each side to form a solid box. The front doors were slightly warped, but they will straighten when glued to the assembled box.  The other parts were printed separately so they can be sanded smooth more easily. I will likely paint each part separately (to allow for color separation and easier do-overs) and assemble it after.

Interior detail:

And this is a possible display base:

"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

lab-dad

HAHA!
Jerry I win!

I think the base needs to be bigger!
More stuff!!

Chuck, is it possible for someone to "order" one of these through shapeways?
You know, in case a guy was building in 1/16 and needed a gaspump?
;)
-Marty

Gordon Ferguson

I really like that, I mean really , really like that :)

The temptation to contact Shapeways and ask them for a re-run of Mr Doan's petrol pump is almost overwhelming, luckily the thought of comparing what you do to yours to what I could churn out is bringing me back to reality!

Glad to see you have started a new project , as always it will be fun and informative to watch how you develop it .
Gordon

Ray Dunakin

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

Mobilgas

Chuck,   What was the cost to do this pump in this size ???
Craig

TRAINS1941

Chuck

Good to see you back at the bench even if it's BIG!!!!

Looks to be a great diorama but like Marty said the base needs to be bigger for more detail.

Jerry

Yes Martin you were right.
Why isn't there mouse-flavored cat food?
George Carlin

Malachi Constant

I bet several giant fake coins that you'll end up with a bigger, more complicated base!  ;D

Whatever happens, it'll be fun to watch! -- Dallas
-- Dallas Mallerich  (Just a freakin' newbie who stumbled into the place)
Email me on the "Contact Us" page at www.BoulderValleyModels.com

shropshire lad

So , Chuck , you'll be needing one of these then , http://www.dioramadebris.co.uk/116-scale-german-standard-size-bricks-mould-1160027-19-p.asp ! Please don't do your brickwork in boring stretcher bond . I've tried telling Dallas not to , but does he listen ? Does he heck .

Looking forward to seeing the latest instalment of your shed/garage frontage series ,

Nick

Chuck Doan

The wall measures 7" wide by about 8 1/2" tall, which is ginormous to me. I will build the window on an insert piece in case I change my mind, but not likely; this is just enough to be interesting. I don't think I could do a whole building again or even a wall in this scale. If it isn't enough I could always make a second one and use them as bookends!

Regarding the pump, I still need to do a reset crank handle and a nozzle. I'm going to primer it in the raw so you can see what the texture looks like. I also only did one dial face insert since mine will be up against a wall, so I would need to add another to the "kit". Craig, I paid about $70.00 bucks for this, which includes the setup fee. It would be a bit more if I add a second dial face and the nozzle, since that requires more plastic.

If I did put it out there, I would want folks to know exactly what they are getting, and what additional work will be required. I am going to be using glass for the ad panels and main window, and there are a few other things I am planning on making here, so it would not be a complete kit, just most of a kit. I'm not sure what I will use for the hose just yet. So, a little more tweaking to do.

Not sure about bricks or a cement foundation yet Nick. I may not be ready to cross over to the dark side of laying every brick, boring or otherwise. And yes, another old wood wall-blame my brain (I always do), he can't seem to think up anything better to do.

"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

finescalerr

Of course the new model will be spectacular (and it even has a gas pump I actually used). But I still haven't forgiven you for abandoning the 1:48 diorama. I hope you finish both. -- Russ

marc_reusser

Absolutely fantastic.

Would you be willing to share an image of how the sprue/parts were set-up/compiled for printing?

If you decide to release this as a shared printable item I would also be willing to pay for a printing or two...in 1/35 of course. (as well as any stipend/percentage to the creator for allowing usage).

Marc
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

Mr Potato Head

That's a lot of gas :o :o :o
Am I going to need an antacid ??? ??? ::)
I think that hand has been photo shoped ???
MPH
Gil Flores
In exile in Boise Idaho

Marc988

Very nice. I am looking forward to your next steps.

Quote from: marc_reusser on August 01, 2012, 03:08:09 PM

If you decide to release this as a shared printable item I would also be willing to pay for a printing or two...in 1/35 of course. (as well as any stipend/percentage to the creator for allowing usage).

Marc

Must be in the name because I would also be very interested in a 1/35 version of your pump !!

Regards,
Marc B

lab-dad

Chuck,
What about wire insulation (with the wire removed) for the hose?
"if" you could get a length of solder back inside it that would hold the shape better.
I'm thinking acetone would kill the shine on the wire and of course some of your gouaches.

Or possibly a length of fusible link wire - its a little softer conductor.

-Marty

Chuck Doan

Here are the unadulterated "before" pics after a quick spritz of primer. The sidelight exaggerates the layers. These are simple shapes and should sand smooth easily.  But this is what you would be up against; not exactly shake the box style. This is also why I print separate items because sanding around complex surfaces can be tricky.  The dial plate and the oval flow meter bezel came out smoother than the larger curved surfaces. The O scale chimney I had done was quite smooth too.

Here is the printing "cluster". I tried to clump it all together with minimal excess material. Some of the smaller parts are inside. A small saw blade allowed quick separation.

I'll take a look at how easy it would be to scale this down. Some of the thinner edges would need to be addressed.

Thanks for the ideas, Marty! I'ts weird working in this scale again.