• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

What single weathering DVD would you recommend

Started by David Emery, June 29, 2012, 03:15:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

David Emery

My intent here is not to start a flame war, but rather to spark some discussion on how to build skills and what aspects of DVDs are most helpful in different situations.

What single weathering DVD would you recommend for (a) a beginning modeler, and (b) an experienced modeler?

Here's my choices and rationale:
(a)  AK Interactive's new Acrylic weathering techniques - there's a lot of good information in here that works well to move someone beyond just a single base coat.  Even though I model 1890s (and most of the techniques are focused on weathering metal surfaces), I still learned a lot.

(b)  Troels Kirk's DVD - This built on a lot of experience by adding some color theory and then demonstrating the results.  I don't think I would have appreciated this if I hadn't done a fair amount of weathering (including wondering "why didn't that come out right?")

dave

marc_reusser

I don't think that there is a "single" one that covers everything well enough and in depth enough. (I have the AFV with acrylics one, but have not seen the one from Troels) The color theory in context to the weathering sounds like an interesting and positive aspect.

If this is a question because of cost...and how that may prevent some modelers from being able to afford numerous DVDs, then I would recommend the YouTube feeds/videos of people like Rob Ferierra (Mr. Scratchmod), mig jimenez, adam wilder, and a few select others.
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

ginosega

I have both of the DVDs you mention, and I think that they are both indispensible. Troels' is of course geared towards model railroading, and his technique of using artist's acrylics on structures (especially roofs) is worth the DVD cost alone in my opinion. Plus, his inexpensive methods for building construction and painting will save me much more in kit costs than the DVD! Not to mention the fact that the many shots of his fabulous layout are great eye candy.

As for Mig Jimenez' DVDs, I recommend the AVF Acrylics Techniques that you mention and the Weathering With Enamels DVDs, both of which are available from AK Interactive. These are very well produced and are treasure troves of techniques by one of the most respected model builders (and model painters) in the world today. It is fascinating to see how by varying your technique you can achieve very similar realistic weathering results with either acrylics or enamels.

I also have Mig's pigment DVD ("FAQ 1" from Mig Productions), and while I think this is a very good overview of pigment techniques I do not rate it as high as the other three DVDs.

...and yeah, I am kind of a DVD nut!  :-[

Gino Sega
Seattle, WA