• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

The other Krakow Auto Repair in 1/87 scale

Started by BKLN, January 08, 2011, 12:05:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

finescalerr

Most satisfactory. HO scale? -- Russ

P.S.: Go stand in the corner.

Malachi Constant

Quote from: Ray Dunakin on September 07, 2013, 06:48:56 PM
Amazing work! For a second I thought the first pic was a prototype shot.

Wow!  Same first impression here ... that is some really beautiful work!  All sorts of great surfaces, textures, finishes ... and, well, I gotta come back and study those pix a few more times to really digest it ... but definitely "wow!"  :o

Quote from: BKLN on September 07, 2013, 06:39:49 PM
It's been over two years, since I last showed you any progress on this project ...

That part really lifted my spirits for some reason!  ;D  I'm all too familiar with the forum coming back with that red message that says (more or less):  "Are you sure you want to post in this thread ... it's like really, really old and no-one has posted here in ages."  8)

Fantastic work!  Congrats on completing the long haul ...

Cheers,
Dallas
-- Dallas Mallerich  (Just a freakin' newbie who stumbled into the place)
Email me on the "Contact Us" page at www.BoulderValleyModels.com

1-32

happy little neighborhood just waiting for the developers love the single tube in the old sign
kind regards kim

chester

Max Corey

I suggest going to auto repair shops and ask if you can look around because you are building a model of one.  Most shops I know would be happy to let you take pictures and ask stupid questions (auto and airplane mechanics know it all).

Probably conduit going to and from boxes to switches near doors and outlets over work benches and lights.  Some conduit may run exposed to overhead lights from switches and boxes on the walls. 

Air lines from a compressor to along the walls with water traps and quick connect fittings for air hoses with air chucks (the thing that goes on the tire valve) and blow guns, spray guns, rivet guns, etc.

Sometimes an overhead grease line hangs down from a centralized grease pot set-up.

Water to a hot water heater then both hot and cold to a restroom (toilet/wash basin/sink/eyewash station) upstairs or downstairs.  A drain from the upstairs restroom toilet/sink.  Most shops I have worked in have a wash basin/sink for the mechanics and it is always filthy dirty with dirty towels or rags around and often a soap dispenser.

Girly calendars on the walls.  Oh, getting ahead of myself. 

Max wanting to see more.
A screw up on your part doesn't constitute an emergency on mine.

marc_reusser

Wow. I too thought that that first pic was of the real thing, when I opened it. This is truly a beautiful piece. It really captures all the subtle and layered nuances and character that occur over time and use. The attention to the common/mundane details that so make a scene "real" and come to life, has been great.  So glad to see this build having moved forward and completed. It was well worth the wait.

I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

nk

You may ask yourself: "Well, how did I get here?"

http://public.fotki.com/nkhandekar/

finescalerr

What else would you expect from these guys, Narayan? And you ain't so bad yourself. -- Russ

Marc988

Amazing.

The fact that it is in H0 scale makes it even more impressive !

Chuck Doan

I first saw it on the Finescale FB page. Just beautifully done! I'm glad you finished it!
"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

BKLN

Thank you, guys! I appreciate all the nice compliments and the advice.

I learned a lot while working on this project and there a some things that I would change if I did it again:

A) Composition
I think there is still an overload of visuals on this diorama. Looking back at my references, I could have built this as a shadowbox style diorama, maybe 2" or 3" deep. I fell into the "modeltrain trap" of the expected presentation, showing the full building and parts of the neighboring plots.
My current projects are a lot more reduced to the actual focus points, something I learned from Marc Reusser's vignettes.

B) Complexity
I was very impressed by Anders HO-scale work of his "Krakow Garage" and his train shed, which are wonderfully overloaded with details, so I really wanted to build something similar. I built this building with a "drawer" in the back wall, so that the actual workshop could be pulled out to show the inside detail. Building the inside details was a lot of fun, but at some point the whole thing became too complex. Right now there is nothing inside except of the car to block the view. I might come back to this later.

The high expectations that I had set for myself were just too much for the actual time that I can currently devote to model building. That let to great frustration - to the point where this felt like annoying work. But it's meant to be fun, a break-away from the 9to5 drill!

So I am approaching my new model projects with a much more manageable level of complexity. I am still trying to keep the bar high for detail quality, but I hope that smaller projects will provide more fun than these mega projects.

C) I like the corner. So many funny guys here! Thanks, Russ!

Christian

finescalerr

While you are in the corner, maybe you can see if Dave Krakow is there. He used to post here and we even spoke on the phone. I miss his input. I'm sure he is busy with a variety of projects but can you tell us what he's spending most of his time on? -- Russ

Chuck Doan

He cut some shingles for me recently, so he's still breathin'.

"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

Junior

Fantastic work Christian  :o :o! The broken sign is a great idea and as somebody already said this diorama would be great in any scale. Let´s hope for some really neat interior work as well.

About Dave Krakow he is very much around, he just made some custom work for me for my new diorama which I will show here real soon.

Anders

Gordon Ferguson

Fantastic work, has just great atmosphere  ...... It's hard to beleive it's the scale it is

Quote from: Junior on September 13, 2013, 09:53:03 AM

for my new diorama which I will show here real soon.

Anders

Promises, promises.  ;)
Gordon