• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

The Google SketchUp Thread

Started by marc_reusser, May 15, 2010, 11:24:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lab-dad

Thanks Ed,
This was one of my initial questions/concerns.
Since I am working from actual blueprints.
Once I changed the format it was accurate to .0000"

Now I can get the real one drawn and hopefully move on to the sprues and printing....

-Marty

TRAINS1941

Hmmmmmmm!!!  9:36am must be a busy day at school!! ;D

Jerry
Why isn't there mouse-flavored cat food?
George Carlin

lab-dad

Ed,
I thought I fixed/set all my circles and arcs to 96 points but I somehow missed the left side of the bottom curve.
How can I fix this?
On some of the areas i had to "fix" I just erased the shape and started over.

For placing the circles I am using rectangles to set the starting point, is there a better way?
I'm sure thats how the right side is fine but the left is not.

And...is there a way to save a screenshot as a jpg? or do I just print and scan like I have been?

eTraxx

let me answer the last question first. To get a .jpg use export ..

File >> Export >> 2D Graphic

Normal file/folder screen .. but bottom right is options button .

Click that and you can set the image size to export alogn with JPEG Compression

When ready click Export button
Ed Traxler

Lugoff, Camden & Northern RR

Socrates: "I drank WHAT?"

eTraxx

I don't know of  a way to increase the number of sides on a circle after the fact (not saying there isn't .. just don't know of one) but depending on circumstances you can cheat a bit.

Below .. the circle on the left is 24 sided. In the center I placed a mark at the outer edge and centerline. On the right I deleted the circle to the left of the cetner line and drew an ARC from top to bottom of circle and ending on the outer edge mark. It draws a 24 sided arc. Like a circle just type ins 98S and enter. This creates the circle on the right.

Ed Traxler

eTraxx

Aligning circles or anything else ..

Suppose we start with an object. I just placed marks for the left, upper and lower edges and center of arc

Ed Traxler

eTraxx

Now suppose we want two holes. First thing is to group the object so drawing reference lines won't affect your model.

First one.

Centered on the tip of the 'left edge' and 4 inches in from that point. I simply hit "T' to select the Tape Measure Tool .. clicked once on that line that extends from the upper edge to anchor the Tape Measure Tool and move the cursor down until  a green DOT appears dead on the "left edge". Click and a dotted guide line is drawn there parallel to that anchor side.

I had drawn a vertical line from the left edge earlier. I will now click that with the Tape Measure Tool and drag ot the right .. any distance .. let go and thype "4" and hit enter. This will now draw a vetical line from that left edge exactly 4 inches in (oh .. forgot .. had set to decimal inches earlier)

You draw your first circle using that crossed guide lines

Ed Traxler

eTraxx

Now .. we want another hole that if offset from the vertical cetner line of the arc say .. .75 inches to the left .. but centered on the horizontal center line.

Again, using the Tape Measure Tool click that vertical cetner line and move your mouse to the left, let go, type in .75 and hit enter. You will now hav a vertical guide line .75 inches to the left of the vertical center line.

use the Tape Measure Tool and Double Click the horizontal center line. A horizontal guide line with be drawn on top of it and extending across the page. where the guide lines cross you use that as the center for your second circle.

Everything is precise and exact.

Ed Traxler

marc_reusser

In the SU "Extension Warehouse", there is a plug-in/extension you can download that finds/marks circle and arc centers; "CLF Arc Centerpoint Finder" ..its one of the Chris Fullmer tools

You may also want to download the one called "1001 Bit Tools"....some helpful ones there for drawing shapes, arrays, slices, dividing and placing construction points, planes from non planar points, etc..

I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

finescalerr

I just saved this page for reference. Thanks, Ed and Marc. -- Russ

lab-dad

Ok,
I think I have a usable "part"
I added a sprue.

I ran the part through the meshlab program and the netfab as well.
Seemed like everything was "fixed" (justa trial run with the single part)

Now how do I copy and place in an exact line 6 of so I can "print"???

-Marty

BTW; Ed your help is very appreciated!!!

eTraxx

To dupe it six times so you can connect the sprues with a .. master? .. sprue

1 - group the part

2 - click it (selects the part. Then tap the "M" key (for move)

3 - tap the cntrl key .. you will see a plus sign "+" beside the cursor. This duplicates the object.

4 - hold one of the arrow keys down .. right arrow x axis, left arrow y axis, down arrow z axis. This locks movement in which ever axis. Keep the key held down.

5 - move the copy a distance you are satsified with and let go.

6 - tap 5x and hit enter to dupe five times

Couple things

The only time you HAVE to add to sprue is when the x + y + z < 12mm

sometimes it is simply a good idea to keep parts togher .. help peventing 'lost parts'

for FUD .. sprue (SW calls it a 'wire') needs to be a min of .6mm if supported (connected on two sides)
needs to be 1mm if like a sprue (stuff hanging off it)

We need to set up a Google hangout so I can give instruction .. I can share my screen and show you real time some of the tricks etc.
Ed Traxler

Hydrostat

Ed,

your explanations are very educational. Thanks for that! This had to be said  :).

Volker
I'll make it. If I have to fly the five feet like a birdie.
I'll fly it. I'll make it.

The comprehensive book about my work: "Vollendete Baukunst"

finescalerr

I have mentioned in the past that Ed once spent an hour or so on the phone teaching me things about SketchUp. I took notes and was able to do everything perfectly. Others here may be equally knowledgeable but Ed has helped so many of us so often he reigns supreme. I suggest we dub him the SketchUp King. -- Russ

marc_reusser

I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works