• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Bentley 3 1/2Litre Windover Sedanca de Ville

Started by Nurser, February 03, 2008, 09:24:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

John McGuyer

Used your technique yesterday. I made a toolbox for the front of the K-27 from .005" brass. Cut a box from pearwood the right size and hammered the brass around it. Then clamped it to the wood and soldered it. It is coming out quite good. Incidentally, in one of these threads we discussed saws. I bought a 3 in diameter by 3/64 thick slitting saw with 30 teeth. Made a mandrel to mount it in my mill. My mill has a digital readout on the Z axis, so I dialed it down and cut the most beautiful .020" thick by 1/2" wide wood strips you ever saw(ed). I'm going to go crazy making planks.

John

Nurser

John, I like the sound of your saw. I have to make a wee table saw for my model boating work and have lost my old Minicraft.  What did you use for a table for your slitting saw job?
I can't afford today's prices for tiny tools, so I have to make 'em all!  Thank Gawd I already have a lathe or two.
For a box, BTW, I'd have just folded up sheet, but if your'e happy with the beating, good on yer.
Hector

jacq01

Quoteso I dialed it down and cut the most beautiful .020" thick by 1/2" wide wood strips you ever saw(ed). I'm going to go crazy making planks.
;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D  I need a lot of planks for my O scale mill ::)

Jacq
put brain in gear before putting mouth in action.
never underestimate the stupidity of idiots
I am what I remember.

John McGuyer

Hector,
There is no table. The saw blade is in my mill head and the wood is held in the vise. Since I have a digital readout, it is really easy to dial in the thickness of the blade and the thickness of wood I want. That pearwood cuts so well, it just slices right off. I'll bet I could hold a couple thou.

John

Nurser

John, that all sounds beyond my equipment.  Digital readouts? Is that when the TV re-adjusts to BBC?
Sorry!
Hector

John McGuyer

No! It's for us people who are not like old boat builders who work in 'cubits'.

John

Nurser

And bushels, roods and perches, fathoms, chains and knautical miles. God luv 'em.  Now I no longer make silly car masters I can relinquish metric for ever!!  Yeahhh.
It's Queenlies all the way and Napoleon go hang.  Oh, frabtious day, caloo callay!, he chortled in his joy,
Hector

jacq01

Hector, 

do you know this modelbuilder ? 
A collegue knows him and showed some photo's.  Some photo's of the Duesenberg show the use of wooden forms and I thought direct of your "clinic" of pearwood shapes.

http://www.geraldwingrove.com

regards
  Jacq
I am what I remember.

Nurser

Jaqc, yes I know Gerald Wingrove (or Winnie as we call him).  He's a very pleasant, very helpful chap and his books have helped a lot of people get going in scratchbuilding for sure.  I find his models lacking in "soul", so pretty perfect are they, but his workmanship is beyond rebuke.  His Deusies are perhaps the only models where there is some soul, simply because he has a personal passion for that era of American car, but if you look at his 250 GTO Ferrari it's not so good because he has no interest in them. I'd be the other way round entirely!  But no Porsches, can't stand them!
I understand Winnie had a stroke recently and no longer works.  A very common cause of modelmakers' debility, strokes. I know three professionals who died from them.
Winnie sold a lot of his models and they didn't fetch anywhere near their original price, barely breaking 5 figures, yet when they were originally built they went for around ?17,000- ?23,000 a piece, which frankly was too much for a 1/15th scale model which had no exclusivity as he always made at least 5 of any product.
Hector

jacq01

Hector,
  sorry to read that he is not able to model anymore.
  Funny you mentioned "soul" with his models and especially the Deussies. Those were the only models I looked at as they attracted my attention.

Jacq

I am what I remember.

Nurser

Jacq,  soul will shine through, eh?
That's why I can still enjoy the work of Henri Baigent and Manuel Olive over the perfectionists like Winnie.  Even Rex Hays and Cyril Posthumus, despite their relative crudity.  That's also why Roye England's original work for Pendon Museum is still by far the best, with George Stokes the absolute Meister!!
Hector

John McGuyer

I'm not familiar with those guys and what they've done. Their stories and examples of their work might be good subjects for Uncle Russ and his Modelers Annual to tell us all about them.

John

RoughboyModelworks

John:

Here are a few links for you: Pendon Museum http://www.pendonmuseum.com/index.jsp, Manuel Oliv? Sans http://www.olivesans.com/ and FP Models http://www.fpmodels.com/English/index_eng.html. Some of the early issues of the British mag Model Railway Journal have articles on George Stokes and Roye England. A couple of other builders worth looking up are Tony Reynalds and Martyn Welch (his book The Art of Weathering is well worth a read).

Bill

Nurser

Bill, thanks for the links. I can never get 'em to work.  What's FP models, BTW.
Sometimes I think you aren't American at all, you seem so well versed in English matters.  Model railway Journal is about as esoteric a magazine as any.

For an old Stokesite like me, the mention of Reynalds and Welch in the same post is anathema, especially the latter.  Best PM for why, before I get into trouble again!
Hector

RoughboyModelworks

Hector:

FP Models is the site for Francesc Pulido, builder of an outstanding 1/10 Blower Bentley & Bugatti Type 59. He appears to have taken up where Gerald Wingrove left off - absolutely astounding work. All those links, by the way, are on the Roughboy site...  ;) ;). RMJ is one of my favourite mags. I was fortunate enough to have built an almost complete collection of the magazine up through the late 1990s. Unfortunately since then, I haven't been able to afford it. I suspect though that the earlier issues were the more interesting much like one of the fine-scale modeling pubs in this country (and I'm not referring to Uncle Russ). Somehow I knew you'd have strong feelings about Reynalds and Welch  :)

Murrican, huh... well, geographically only. I may live in California, but I'm Canadian. Moved to the US originally to marry my now ex-wife, but that's another sordid story. Both my parents' families emigrated from Yorkshire a few generations ago and I was raised in a fairly traditional family so our heritage played a large role. Father was stationed there during the war. I expect we still have some distant relatives oop nawth. Evidently one moved south and ran a pub (questionable joint at best) on the Haymarket through WWII and up until the mid 70s. I was lucky enough to visit it in the mid 70s (bastard wouldn't even give me a free pint  :D) before it sold to a conglomerate and now is gone entirely.

Cheers,
Bill