• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

A 1918 Doane, Model HP, Low-Bed 6-Ton Truck in 1:16 scale

Started by Scratchman, December 14, 2007, 05:38:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scratchman

The Plans are from the July/August 1992 Gazette. The first time I built this truck was between10 and 15 years ago. At that time I would build most of the model before painting (photo one and two). I also made a parts list and drawings of all the different assemblies. I built assemblies for two trucks. The first I assembled into a full model (photo one and two) and the second I left unassembled.  These act as a three dimensional plan.

Photo #1 and #2
My pilot model was built 10 to 15 years ago

Photo #3 I used the cab floor plan to check location of brace for headboard. The new cab floor will be built to these dimensions. 

I?m building this truck starting from scratch doing the finish work as I go. I will be using the same techniques that I used on my work truck #8 and my cold weather cab class A Climax # 5. I well be improving some of the parts and will add the engine detail on this new truck. I will be posting photos as the modeling progresses, but will not be doing a build report in this thread being that the model is a contest entry. I will do a build report after the contest is over. I?m also modeling a small piece of equipment that will be used as a load on the truck.

The first part I have assembled is the headboard.

Photo #4, #5 and #6 is the headboard assembly. I will be doing some dry brushing with the White paint to remove the rust where I don?t want it and some oil washes. There are 190 parts in this assembly. 

More to come
Gordon Birrell Scratchman
http://www.flickr.com/photos/77318580@N00/

TRAINS1941

Well Gordon I will be following this thread.  Can't to see how you do in the contest and then the follow-up with how you did this.  So far this is just outstanding this what you expect from guys like you on this forum.
I'm learning alot from all you guys now just to put it to good use.

Jerry
Why isn't there mouse-flavored cat food?
George Carlin

Scratchman

Jerry,  I'm probably not going to enter it by itself. I'm looking for a little narrow gauge critter to build and load on its bed and let it enhance the critter.Then I would enter it in the critter category.

Gordon Birrell  Scratchman

marc_reusser

Gordon,

I have always really liked that first one.....and I definitely look forward to the second one.

...hmm...say.....isn't Marty building some kind of a neat looking NG critter?

What contest are you building the model for? NNGC?

Marc

I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

finescalerr

Hey, Gordon, if you don't want to enter the truck by itself, I'll tell everybody I built it! Looks as though it's going to be pretty fabulous. Document it well and we'll put it in a Modelers' Annual! Very impressive. Thanks very much for the post. -- Russ

Scratchman

Mark, NNGC is probably the only thing I will be thinking of till September. I have almost got my work for next year's annuals finished and it will be full steam ahead on my contest model truck.  Since it's a railroad convention I will want to have a railroad entry.

I have been going though my magazines and books looking for a little critter and can't find one that will fit the truck.  The little Plymouth that  Marty's doing has got me really excited especially with the plans you post but Marty jumped on it and no way do I want to do the same prototype as someone else.  It can be built at a later time.  Marty's critter has also really got me excited, someone else modeling the way I do and in that large scale.  Marty is a very good model builder and what I've seen so far of that critter it's going to be a good one. 

A free-lance critter is maybe the way I will have to go.  My little maple syrup critter is a little too big to fit the truck.  I am thinking of redesigning it to fit my need.  If I have enough time I would like to build a three-sided shadow box backdrop-type diorama, a smaller version of my 3/4 " diorama that was in last summer's annual.  If I can get this much finished I will then enter it as a diorama.

Unc, I will have my caboose article by the end of the year.

Gordon Birrell Scratchman

marc_reusser

I have some good plans for some Duetz, Skoda, and other European critters, but I think they are all bit out of the time-frame for the truck.  How about some kind of battery mine loco, or one of those small smokeless/compressed air type of locos?

Marc
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

finescalerr

... And I have some catalog data on Brookville locos and maybe some others. Send an e-mail or phone me with the details and I'll see if I have anything appropriate. -- Russ

Chuck Doan

Cool project, Gordon. I always was a bit partial to those trucks! ::) ;D

Chuck
"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

lab-dad

Gee with all these 1:16 models it looks like the NNGC will be BIG!
Thank you Gordon for the compliments, I will do my best.
-Marty

Scratchman

Maybe I will take you up on those plans and data at a later time but I think for this I'm going take the easy way and redesign that maple syrup critter. I really like using those V-belt pulleys for wheels. Thanks to you all for your comments and support.     

lab-dad

Gordon,
Could you show & tell how you will make the wheels & tires?
(If it doesnt violate the contest thing)
This is something I am very curious about.
-Marty

Scratchman

Marty

What I meant by its being a contest entry is that it is going to a contest.  Its going to be my best effort and will be taking up most of my time . The main reason for not doing a how- to-do here is that the effort will be worth publishing.

The wheels on the  first truck are a rough mock up. Using plastic pipe for the tire, a lid off a spool of Teflon tape and strips of styrene for the rim,
and a 36 inch V-belt pulley casting with two flat washers for the center. The axle come though a 1/8" hole in the center of the casting and the hub cap fits over the end of the axle. I added N.B.W. casting to the spokes on the back wheels.

The wheels on the new truck will be following closer to the prototypes. The plans have a cross section so that will help the center well be carved out of styrene. They well be like the curly spoke wheel on your Plymouth.

Gordon Birrell Scrathman   

Scratchman

So Marty, are you putting rubber tires on your Plymouth or have you got something else going on?

gordon

lab-dad

No Gordon, no rubber tyres on the Plymouth.
And no, I dont have anyting else going on.
Just thought I might be able to use the techniques in 1:48.
I have all the Gazette plans and love these old trucks.

BTW,
Got a good source for 1/16 hand tools? You know wrenches and plyers.

Thanks,
Marty