• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

19th Century Cornish Stable

Started by granitechops, March 14, 2012, 02:45:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gordon Ferguson

Don,

certainly looks like a well whitewashed wall to me ............. although think I may add a few very diluted grey washes to it with maybe the odd touch of brown just to age it slightly 
Gordon

granitechops

Did a weak black wash with a hint of grey all over, when dry did a brown wash where the dust from the hay would be prevalent

I Like this shot

Don in sunny Devon, England

granitechops

But in places the change from brown to black is a bit too abrupt

granitechops

Having said which I do like the way the brown fades around both sides of the feeder where the hay being pulled out of the rack would have flicked the dust off the wall a bit, perhaps?

Ray Dunakin

That's looking good, IMHO. Of course it all depends on how recently painted the wall is supposed to be, but I would think that in a horse stall dust would accumulate pretty quickly.

If you're concerned that some areas might be too dark you can always tone them down with a wash of white.

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

granitechops

Quote from: Ray Dunakin on March 19, 2012, 12:35:19 PM
That's looking good, IMHO. Of course it all depends on how recently painted the wall is supposed to be, but I would think that in a horse stall dust would accumulate pretty quickly.

If you're concerned that some areas might be too dark you can always tone them down with a wash of white.

It did occur to me to perhaps try a white wash but with the wall upside down so that the colour would collect on what would end up being the the lower edges, so still retaining the dust on the top edges.

Time frame, quite a while since the last horse departed, but building run down & not redecorated, and building used for repair work, so more dust

But that does not mean that I might not do a photoshoot with a horse in there just because I can!

granitechops

Done the lintel over the window, with it being recessed it gives the cornish character I think

granitechops

Door lintel

Edit. this is not the final wall finish, just coloured for the look

granitechops

While waiting for glue to dry, made up a couple of ladders

a 3 part extending ladder & a widow cleaners ladder

granitechops

As a lot of interior detail will be visible, but wont be get-at-able when assembled, at this stage the only fixed parts are the two walls the hay rack will be mounted on & the base, the rest is just a snug dry fit to ensure it all fits properly, so I can then finish & detail the interior, So ignore the floating wall etc.,
its work in progress

granitechops

The wall appears to be floating due to the need to get levels right for the drainage channel seen in the centre there
As the base is not solid, its a styrene & card lamination, I wanted to avoid building it to top surface level & then cutting out as that would have weakened the structure

granitechops

Working on the tack room wall as that will be the most inaccessable part, Framework for hollow wall designed to support floor beams, with spacers at 16" centres on back wall

granitechops

Tack room wall cosmetic spacers added as part of front card leaf & wall given coat of texture, opposite wall added & fixed

granitechops

3 walls done complete with lintel over door

granitechops

So turn attention to gable wall, corner strengthener same dimension as wall thicknes, framing door way & window with scrap bits of wood that will only show one face, if that