• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Old Wagons

Started by Scratchman, April 14, 2010, 03:56:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EZnKY

Incredible work!  I've just tried some simple lining myself, and your work shows me how much I have to learn!
Eric Zabilka
Lexington, Kentucky

greenie

Carlo, have a look at the link below and check out the three books on " Making Model --------------" by John Thompson.
Each book will have a chapter on how to make wooden spoked wheels, I use the exact same method, with only a few modifications on how he does it.

http://www.wildhorsebooks.com/ModelVehicleBooks.htm

If I have to make a set of heavier type of  waggon wheels, then I will use wooden fellie sections to make the wheel, as per what John Thompson describes.

For a lighter type of wheel, then I'll use the 'plexiglass' for the fellies or rim.
Making a lighter type of wheel from wooden fellies is prone to disaster, as the sections do not have any thickness about them, for the glued fellies to hold together, they will and do break apart at the worst possible moment, hence, I now use a one piece plexiglass/sheet acrylic for the job at hand.

When making the fellies from plexiglass/sheet acrylic, the lathe is used to cut them from a small section of the sheet.

It would be nice to be able to get them cut out using CNC, but I don't have one available to use.

'EZnKY' and 'Hauk', the lining is decals, I use CorelDraw to get the design correct and then print them out onto decal paper.
I'm yet to find a 'Leprechaun' down the back garden that can do pin-striping for me.  ::)

regards  greenie

Barney

Incredible workmanship just keep it coming
Barney

Carlo

Thanks for the wheel ifo.
It was very helpful.
Carlo

EZnKY

I'm impressed with the color density on your decals.  What kind of printer are you using, and what kind of decal paper?
I've only been able to get decent brightness by putting one decal on top of another.  I'm using a laser printer and either Testors or Micromark decal paper. 
Eric Zabilka
Lexington, Kentucky

greenie

EZnKY,  you'll never get satisfactory results using an ink jet printer, they just aren't capable of applying the colour dense enough to the decal paper. You will get something that looks alright from ten feet away, but it sure don't look so hot up close.

I use an ALPS MD 5500 printer and the decal paper is just ordinary stuff, for a Laser printer.
The ALPS can be told to print  WHITE first, then you print the colours over the white, that way the colour is dense and sharp and the background colour will not bleed thru the decal.

Try and find somebody close to you that has an ALPS printer, have a talk to them about what your attempting to create, they should be able to help you out.

Other than that, have a look for somebody who does it for C-A-S-H, if you find out what program they use, then you could do all the artwork and they would only have to charge you for each sheet printed.
The artwork is the biggest cost, so cut that out and it's relatively cheap to get a sheet of decals printed.

regards  greenie

Hydrostat

Your wagons are marvellous, one better than the rest. I'd really like to see a picture taken in natural light. Did you ever think about a diorama and giving a wagon a whiff of wear and use?
Great modeling!

Cheers,
Volker
I'll make it. If I have to fly the five feet like a birdie.
I'll fly it. I'll make it.

The comprehensive book about my work: "Vollendete Baukunst"

EZnKY

Thanks - that's great to know.
I'm lucky that I have full access to a whole bunch of artwork software, and I know how to use it.
The obstacle is the ALPS printer.
Eric Zabilka
Lexington, Kentucky

greenie

Here's a person who makes decals for anybody who wants them, it might pay you to contact him personally and have a good chat to him.

http://www.modeltruckin.com/store/

regards greenie

ps, from what I have gathered from others who have dealt with him, his prices are quite reasonable.

finescalerr

How do the owners of Alps printers keep them running? The printers went out of production years ago and no other company has produced one with its capabilities. -- Russ

Allan G

Fantastic!!!!!! ...Allan

finescalerr

Nice picture, Gordon. -- Russ

Ray Dunakin

Great pic, lots of interesting things to see in that one photo.
Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

Scratchman