• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Help Required

Started by Barney, October 02, 2023, 09:07:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barney

Is There anyone out there with any information on this little Dolbeer logging locomotive - loads of patent diagrams
but no actual dimensions the size of the wheels would be a good starting point or the length of the chassis
Also a few articles but still no sizes !!
Help would be most appreciated
Barney 
Never Let someone who has done nothing tell you how to do anything
Stuart McPherson

Lawrence@NZFinescale

One could make some reasonable guesses from the track gauge and the height of the reverser handle.

The wheel size is likely some round number so, having estimated scale as above, I'd be inclined to tweak it so that the wheel size is the nearest number of whole inches.
Cheers,

Lawrence in NZ
nzfinescale.com

Barney

Lawrence that sounds like a good way of looking at it  Thanks
Just found an article in the Western Railroader publication Jan/Feb 2005  Quote "unfortunately there are no know as built specifications or builders photographs upon which to base our research" another part indicates that the cylinder bore & stroke  of the geared loco  is described as 8in X 12in so at least there is some indication of size and could be a starting point
It also looks like or could be Standard gauge so another measurement could be used if Standard gauge is 4ft8in  !!!!!
Barney
Stuart McPherson

finescalerr

If you can wait a week or two for some forum members to muddle their way here, I can think of a couple who may be able to help. -- Russ

Barney

No rush its just another one for my bucket list !!!
Barney
Stuart McPherson

Lawrence@NZFinescale

Quote from: Barney on October 02, 2023, 11:49:13 AMbore & stroke  of the geared loco  is described as 8in X 12in

If you know the stroke is 12", then the eccentric the rod connects to must be 6".  It would be nice to have a larger dimension to work from, but that should do. I make the wheelbase 82" from that.
Cheers,

Lawrence in NZ
nzfinescale.com

NORCALLOGGER

C ool engine, that could be a Kissin Cousin to the Falk.

Barney

MORE info' coming in and it looks like _Missouri Locomotive Company- built some brass models a few years back ( all there photos carry a copyright )
Photo of the Cottoneva Lumber companies GLOBE BUILT GEARED loco
Stuart McPherson

finescalerr

I am good friends with the owners of MoLoCo and, if it would help, I have at least one photo of their model. I also could ask if they have plans. Let me know. -- Russ

Chuck Doan

I thought there was a drawing in the Gazette at on point? I have the article in tall timber short lines I could scan. Some nice detail pics, but no plans.img20231003_19591862.jpg
"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

Barney

Very nice photos Chuck -Thanks
Also remembered that superb model by "Gordon Scratchman " 1/16th scale and beautiful - Of the Bear Harbour version on the forum June 17 2009
Barney
Stuart McPherson

NORCALLOGGER

I think I have a full set of scale drawings of the Bear Harbor somewhere, have to look later today.
I have engineered and fired on that loco as well as the Falk

NORCALLOGGER

Is this what your looking for?  They use to sell these prints at Timber Heritage but I don't see them on their web site any longer.  Not exactly the engine shown in Dolbeer's patent drawing but built by the company he hired a few years after his patent.

Barney

Hi Mr Norcallogger
Just Perfect all the basics are there -many thanks for the help
Barney
I bet it was fun Driving one of those little beast - You must get down to writing a book on your life of interest !!
Stuart McPherson

NORCALLOGGER

Glad I could help, if you need close up pictures just let me know.
Lots of fun working on those two loco's also fired and operated the small Lidgerwood Donkey there at Fort Humboldt.

These pictures are from about 2010, haven't been down there in a few years now.
Rick