• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Fordson tugger hoist

Started by Chuck Doan, January 10, 2017, 09:04:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hauk

Quote from: finescalerr on January 26, 2020, 12:04:00 AM
The parts turned out very well. Do they seem as durable as cast parts? -- Russ

Shapeways brass parts are in fact castings. They use a wax printer for  an one-off master and cast the final part in brass.
So it is basically a good old lost wax brass casting.
Regards, Hauk
--
"Yet for better or for worse we do love things that bear the marks of grime, soot, and weather, and we love the colors and the sheen that call to mind the past that made them"  -Junichiro Tanizaki

Remembrance Of Trains Past

Chuck Doan

Nice Bernhard!

Exactly as Hauk said. The axle was 17 dollars, and for a custom one-off lost wax cast part, that is almost miraculous to me.
"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

finescalerr

Thank you both for the explanation. I guess we live in the golden age of model building. Too bad our craft/art-form seems to be losing participants. -- Russ

TRAINS1941

Nice looking axle Chuck.

Jerry
Why isn't there mouse-flavored cat food?
George Carlin

Ray Dunakin

Quote from: Chuck Doan on January 26, 2020, 09:12:05 AM
The axle was 17 dollars, and for a custom one-off lost wax cast part, that is almost miraculous to me.

Amazing!
Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

Chuck Doan

Thanks Guys!

I painted the radiator shell and set it in place and took some sunny shots. The Fordson did not have a pressurized radiator; boil overs and prominent rust streaks were common, and I was happy to oblige. I used oil paint and gouache for the rust.

"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

Bill Gill

Looks good, Chuck. Are those a couple bits of grasshoppers in the radiator fins?

TRAINS1941

Quote from: Bill Gill on February 29, 2020, 05:45:10 PM
Looks good, Chuck. Are those a couple bits of grasshoppers in the radiator fins?

Good eye Bill.  Not sure what they are but there dead for sure. 

Jerry
Why isn't there mouse-flavored cat food?
George Carlin

finescalerr

I guess it looks alright.... -- Russ

Ray Dunakin

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

Barney

Plu a bigger WOW !!!!
Barney

Bernhard

This is absolutely amazing.

Design-HSB

More realistic as an original, my respect.
Regards Helmut
the journey is the goal

Hydrostat

Chuck,

mostly I don't know to say a word to what you show here. It's just amazing. Again I'm trying hard to find any flaw, but I fail. Maybe I'm completely wrong: the rust stains are from overboiling water? So some 'fresh' ones with a rather matte appearance might add to it. At the moment to me it looks a bit to oily.

Cheers,
Volker
I'll make it. If I have to fly the five feet like a birdie.
I'll fly it. I'll make it.

The comprehensive book about my work: "Vollendete Baukunst"

Chuck Doan

I hope everyone is successfully dealing with everything.

Thanks all! Yes, Bill, but don't tell the PETI folks, I don't want to get in trouble. I'm still working on the rust Volker, it's a bit tricky.

I have managed to add some more items; fuel caps and fuel line, clutch pedal and the front choke and hand crank. Almost time to start the front axle and wheels. I may be slow, but at least I'm not fast.