• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Belgian Project - Proto 87 standards

Started by Dirky, April 17, 2009, 12:55:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dirky

Hello,

want to share my project with some of you experts to see if I'm doing OK? Only re-started last year with model railroad and want to get it right the first time now!

thanks,

Dirky

scale HO, all stones carved by hand....

marc_reusser

Welcome to the forum.

Gesneden met de hand! :o U bent gek! :-\ ;) ;D

It looks beautiful, but is a bit hard to see the detail, Any chance you could post some closeup photos.

Thanks.

Marc
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

lab-dad

hand carved?.......
HO?.......................
:o :o :o :o :o :o :o

Like Marc said, more pics!!!!!!!!!
-Marty

TRAINS1941

Yes more pictures but from here it looks like you did a fine job.

Jerry
Why isn't there mouse-flavored cat food?
George Carlin

Dirky

Can't do any better - with the camera I mean... The window is also hand made!.

thx for the nice comments!

Dirky

RoughboyModelworks

Nicely done. With that level of commitment to your craft you'll fit in well here.

Paul

marc_reusser

I agree with Paul.

I assume the base casting was plaster. What did you do your carving with, and how doid you dilineate all your brick courses and patterns?

Is there a prototype of this station?

Marc

M-Works

jacq01

QuoteIs there a prototype of this station?
:o :o

correct: Original building !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;) ;)

Jacq
put brain in gear before putting mouth in action.
never underestimate the stupidity of idiots
I am what I remember.

lab-dad

make molds!
I could use a few of these walls (in O scale though) ???
-Marty

Dirky

Thx once more for the compliments...

To make a long story short:
The original building was demolished some 8 years ago but I am fortunate that some lookalikes are still excisting (there must have been some 15 identical railway stations). With all the input I could get I managed to derive a 3D model (using Autodesk Inventor) that comes close to the 1905 version.
I wanted to try out new techniques and also wanted to prove myself that HO is still large enough to get accurate details...  ???
The building is made with PVC-foam plate (I do not know the correct English word for this but Comacel, Vikupor, Forex are some typical brandnames). The horizontal joints (correct word?) of the brick wall have been cut with a sharp knife at 0.9mm intervals before cutting anything to size. After glueing all frames to the basic wall I started carving the vertical joints using a mini (0.8mm) chisel made from an old jewelers screwdriver. I just had to stick to the traditional pattern, the so called "Vlaams Verband" or translated, something like the Flemish brick pattern.... Later I spray-painted brick color, made it dirty and rubbed in some yellowish white paint for the joints...

Dirky

chester

That must have been tremendously time consuming. Great results. Look forward to more progress and thanks for sharing.

Dirky

Time consuming? Yes and No!
Let's say this one was indeed time consuming but I had to try out things over and over again. Making some better tooling also took time. And most important, finding the right sequence of doing things...
I should be able now to put 4 walls together in one day.

The model railroad project I plan will show Nederbrakel back in the early 20-ties. Houses therefore have to look as original as possible and there is nothing out there (at least that I know of) regarding plastic or plaster wall panels that allow accurate house building... Next struggle will be the roof tiles... Thinking of making individual tiles  :-\

Dirky

Dirky

PICTURE IS LOST - WILL GET BACK TO THIS LATER, sorry

something for the same project... a piece of fence of which I will need a few meters, and a gate with the smallest hinges I ever made... and they work  :)

I want to paint all this to give it the look of weathered wood. Any tips or hints on how to do this please?

thx

Dirky

lab-dad

The fence looks like wood and styrene, if it is have a look at the painting I did in my "Chivers" post.
I'm sure Marc can provide some much better suggestions too.
-Marty

BTW your brick work is impressive as heck! (applause)

-Marty

marc_reusser

Dirky,

Thanks for the explanation, and the photo. Very nice work on the "rough-cast" plaster wall surface also...a very good and realistic representation of this finish. I am assuming this is for a different structure. How did you achieve it? Paint finish over sand?

First thing I noticed looking at your fence was the hinges....like I said...crazy. ;) The initial concern I have re. weathering and ainting the fence is that it is already assembled. ...I am concerened about the glue loosening if you use to many water based washes, and the possibility of paint pudelling in the areas between and around the pickets. I think the best approach technique here might be Marcel Ackels approach to his wood fence...though probably more weathered than you want (you can adapt it to scale and amount of weathering desired), the materials are readily at hand in Europe, and you probably already own them. The other method I would suggest is Chucks...but that is more involded for such a small scale

Here is a thread to one approach to this by Marcel on modellboard.de:
http://www.modellboard.net/index.php?topic=20135.0

This thread there is a complete structure and involves various approaches to wood...but in particular the door on this page:
http://www.modellboard.net/index.php?topic=22777.45

Here some more unpainted wood:
http://www.modellboard.net/index.php?topic=26352.0

Hope this helps.

Marc

M-Works