• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Parts rack

Started by Ray Dunakin, August 04, 2022, 11:05:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ray Dunakin

I have lots of styrene strips, angles, rods, and tubes of many sizes, mostly from Evergreen Scale Models plus a few from Plastruct. Until now I've just been shoving them into whatever nook or cranny I could find in the piles of stuff surrounding my modeling work area. I have long planned to devise a better storage solution, but lacked a "round tuit". 

Well, recently I finally got around to it! I built it out of 3mm thick Sintra PVC board. I started by constructing segments, as seen here:

The segments were designed to fit together in a stair-step manner, with each segment being 2" higher than the previous segment:

About halfway through I realized this spacing was going to make the rack too tall. So the the spacing of the remaining four segments was reduced to 1.25". When all eight segments were glued together, I added sides made from 3mm Sintra, and a bottom made from 6mm Sintra. I also added a handle to make moving or carrying the rack more convenient:

When complete, I filled the rack with the styrene materials:

Then I realized I could make it even more useful by adding a couple pockets at each end. These will hold sheets of plain styrene on one end, and specialty sheets such as scribed siding on the other end. Two smaller pockets can be used to hold additional strips, tubes, etc in styrene or brass:

I'm still trying to decide what to store in the rear of the rack. Can't let all that empty space go to waste!
Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

Daniel

Good idea and well done , Ray.

I wish you have more luck than i at keeping everything sorted.
(Have mercy and don't ask me.)

Daniel

Bernhard

Good idea, very clear and space saving. Well done.

Bernhard

finescalerr

It looks like you're opening a hobby shop. Nice job. -- Russ

Barney

Very Nice and neat
Barney
Never Let someone who has done nothing tell you how to do anything
Stuart McPherson