• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Silverton Northern Rail-Bus and three Work Trucks.1:16 scale

Started by Scratchman, August 19, 2017, 04:07:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scratchman

Silverton Northern Rail-Bus and three Work Trucks.1:16 scale

To start out lets talk about the wheels and some other older projects that I used these wheel on.  The wheels are 24 inch and 36 inch V-belt pulley from Ozark Miniatures with one flange turned off. In 1:16 scale the 24 inch castings are around 14 inches and the 36 inch castings are around 24 inches in diameter. The casting was chucked up on my lathe using  a 1/8 inch diameter bolt and two nuts, and the flange was filed off more than using a cutting tool.

#1. 2-foot gauge Model Trail loco. "Tin Lizzie's" on truck, plans in the November/ December Gazette. New Zealand

#2. 2-foot gauge Model T rail car, Sandy river and Rangeley Lake. The plans are in an old Gazette. ( looking for the art.)

#3. 2-foot critter, plans in the May/June and Setpember /October Gazette 1995

Silverton Northern Rail-Bus and three Work Trucks.
I first started this model back over 20 years ago back then on some of my projects I would make parts for more than one model. This model I build four and started  to assemble  the frame and running gear.

The first Work Truck #7 and the Silverton Northern Rail-Bus will be left as originally designed. Mostly wood construction, the wheels are 24 inch casting was used for the front truck and the 36 inch V-belt pulley  for the rear wheels. The chain and sprockets are from Serve-O-Link
Freelance Rail Truck #7

Silverton Northern Rail-Bus. (Does anyone know if this loco had a turn-table under the frame at any time in it's history?)
The walls are made up of a inside layer and a outside layer of Northeastern Scale Lumber scribed sheathing with a center wall out of 0.15 inch thick wood strips with 0.15 inch thick clear styrene for the window glass. After the walls are painted the glass will slide in from the top. At this point the four walls and floor  will come apart. The roof is made out of basswood and I used the top of the walls for the starting point for the roof. Now I will add the rest of the detail, and put this on my done list after a very long time.

Part for the two Work Trucks.

These last two work trucks are being redesigned with the better wheels. Using the same castings  I then added  a 0.30 inch thick styrene washer that I cut with my X-Acto circle-cutter for the flange and two layers of 0.20 inch X .125 inch styrene strip around the casting for the tire.  I had to enlarge the front truck to make up for the larger wheels. And also on the rear wheel assemble. These wheels and frame will give me a good base for the rest of the model.
Work Truck #1  and #2

Gordon Birrell

https://www.flickr.com/photos/gordonbirrell/

lab-dad

Great pictures!
On the last one I almost thought it was a 3D rendering but I know better!

What is the small wheel under the bed behind the rear axle for?

Marty

Scratchman

Ray Dunakin

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

finescalerr

I remember you sent a couple of those photos for articles in the NG Annual. It's good to see you're modeling again. -- Russ

Greg Hile

Very impressive! I am really enjoying getting to know and see people's work here ...

Greg

Scratchman

The Silverton Northern Rail-Bus is now finished here's five photos.

Gordon Birrell

https://www.flickr.com/photos/gordonbirrell/

Chuck Doan

"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

finescalerr

Bill Gill

Ray Dunakin

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

Stoker

This work simply amazes me. Outstanding. Thank you for sharing. As a side note, have you thoroughly vetted your yard personnel? Anyone new? The gentleman in the leather jacket looks suspiciously like the infamous Captain Black. Beware, this villain is known for infiltrating production facilities and sabotaging new equipment. You may want to check with Spectrum just to be on the safe side.
Regards, James                        Modeling in 1:48 after a lengthy bout of Scalatosis Indecisivis