• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

1957 Daihatsu "Midget"

Started by marc_reusser, January 02, 2013, 12:40:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chuck Doan

"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

Ray Dunakin

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

voyager

Nice base Marc, are those AK colours put on over salt or some other method?
Andrew

If it has wheels, I'll have a look!

marc_reusser

Thanks Andrew. Correct; the surface was dampened, and then ground salt applied over. When the surface was dry, the colors were airbrushed over. Salt was removed usin avery soft brush, under some warm running water..
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

marc_reusser

Still hemming-and-hawing about the topside masking, so I figered in the meantime, I would see how many products I could use to give the underside, it's first go around.

Semi opaque overspray of Nato-Black, over the rust base color that the entire thing was painted. Followed by random rough spray with a mix of "Flat Earth" and Med. Grey" in the wheel wells, gas tank, springs, and running boards. Over this was a applied an overal and heavy-spot wash of AK "Engine Grime". While still damp it was given a a heavy dusting of grey, brown and rust tone pigments, which were dampened with white spirits to bond them to the Engine Grime. Lastly a home-made mix of "engine dirt/coagulated grease build-up" was dabbed on in areas, and affixed with a thinned mix of AK "Engine Grime", and Abt-502 "Engine Grease"

M-Works

Gordon Ferguson

Looks good Marc, just the right mix of colours and grime.

Will just copy for the Land Rover  ;D , although think I might add a few more products to the mix  ;)
Gordon

Malachi Constant

It's going to be really difficult to crawl underneath and see all that when you're done!  ;D  -- Dallas
-- Dallas Mallerich  (Just a freakin' newbie who stumbled into the place)
Email me on the "Contact Us" page at www.BoulderValleyModels.com

chester

Marc, pardon my ignorance but what are white spirits? Looks great btw.

shropshire lad

Quote from: chester on January 22, 2013, 08:38:50 AM
Marc, pardon my ignorance but what are white spirits? Looks great btw.

I don't know , you Yanks and your alternative spellings . . White spirit is turpentine substitute , or mineral spirit .

Chuck Doan

Well, after the war and all, we wanted to break ties. Fries, not chips, and cold beer. Drive on the right, other stuff too.  ;D
"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

marc_reusser

Chester,

As Nick said...basically just turpentine. (the AK bottle I used happens to say "White Spirits" on the label)

...and before anyone asks why am I using that brand rather than the store brand.....simple answer is...because I just happen to have a bunch of it......though I can say that I prefer their Odorless Turp. and the Abt-502 "Odorless Turp", even more so; over any odorless turpentines I have found in the Art stores......might just be mental....but then I never said I wasn't. ;D

M-Works

shropshire lad

Quote from: Chuck Doan on January 22, 2013, 02:00:15 PM
Well, after the war and all, we wanted to break ties. Fries, not chips, and cold beer. Drive on the right, other stuff too.  ;D

Which war are we talking about , Chuck ? The one to do with us giving you your independence  ?

Chuck Doan

Yes, of course Nick. You were well rid of us. Well, until the Forties anyway.

thanks for the info Marc N Nick, I still get confused with the White spirits  name as well.

Ray Dunakin

Turpentine, eh? I guess that makes more sense than Caucasian ghosts.   ;)

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

chester

Thanks Marc.

Isn't it right about now somebody says something about the queen?