• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Ranger Crackle Paints

Started by Junior, November 19, 2010, 09:51:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

finescalerr

Now you're talkin', Anders. If it looks good in HO scale, it will look good anywhere; and your boards look good. Watch out, Professor Doan, the boys are catchin' up to ya! -- Russ

Frederic Testard

I fully agree, Russ. From what I've seen of Anders' HO modelling, I think he is already a member of the dream team.
Frederic Testard

Malachi Constant

Anders --

Thanks for posting your photos and notes!  Looking good ...

Cheers,
Dallas
-- Dallas Mallerich  (Just a freakin' newbie who stumbled into the place)
Email me on the "Contact Us" page at www.BoulderValleyModels.com

Mr Potato Head

I just tried a couple on different things. First I scraped off a lot on the thin paint on the poor boards from my first attempt and took it down to bare wood (mine has five coats of silver wood stain as a base) then I reapplied another coat over the entire surface where there was paint and no paint. I let it dry for about two hours under a hot light and then lightly removed paint with scotch tape only, which came off uniformly and very easily.
Second on my initial pieces that were cracked perfectly, I used a wash of Payne's Grey and white artist oils mixed equally and then diluted with thinner. I wiped on straight thinner first and then the color, and then dabbed up the excess. The Payne's grey is a perfect aging compliment for my silver wood and it toned down the white "picket fence" color. I will shoot a picture when the sun comes back to the 43 parallel! Hopefully by tomorrow????,  the green color I am using "peeled paint" has to much yellow in it I used a wash of  raw umber , but that wasn't enough, I'll have to find another "filter" to change the color. Pic's to come
Gil
In exile above the 43 Parallel
Gil Flores
In exile in Boise Idaho

Damn Cranky

It looks like many of you are taking off with this product, which makes Cranky ultra and extra happy.  Now, if I am still in time to buy stock at RANGER INC. ;D
Crazy About Rust!

Junior

Cranky.....thanks very much for posting in the first place. I´m having a great time with these paints. Experimented a bit more over the weekend and is really pleased now.

Thanks again,

Anders ;D ;D ;D

Chuck Doan

Scoth tape? Did some sthick to your tounge?  ;D Looks good Anders, and seems reasonable for HO.

Thanks for the comparison pic Ed and Gil. 

Anders, I have seen entire walls crackled, but often mixed with normal peeling. Probably common on doors and windows as these were likely re-painted more often.

If you have several structures or fences, etc in one scene, it is probably unlikely they would all peel the same.
"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

Junior

Chuck....thanks for the info. Yes I was a bit concerned about a whole wall but your idea about mixing the boards is great. Yes, rafters, doors and window frames are quite common with heavy crackling I only have to look at my own house...ha! Just kidding...!

Anders :o :o

Mr Potato Head

Cranky! All ways invest before releasing sensitive information, that's what Wall Street does! But thanks for the info, I love the stuff, I plan to keep experimenting! Maybe you should consider you own line of paint supplies? I would buy them just for the logo!
What about a book or a video?
Thanks
Gil
Gil Flores
In exile in Boise Idaho

Chuck Doan

"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

Junior

Excellent - outstanding picture came in very handy for my next build........ :o ;D :o

Anders

Chuck Doan

marc_reusser

Quote from: Mr Potato Head on November 28, 2010, 05:18:38 PM
I just tried a couple on different things. First I scraped off a lot on the thin paint on the poor boards from my first attempt and took it down to bare wood (mine has five coats of silver wood stain as a base) then I reapplied another coat over the entire surface where there was paint and no paint. I let it dry for about two hours under a hot light and then lightly removed paint with scotch tape only, which came off uniformly and very easily.
Second on my initial pieces that were cracked perfectly, I used a wash of Payne's Grey and white artist oils mixed equally and then diluted with thinner. I wiped on straight thinner first and then the color, and then dabbed up the excess. The Payne's grey is a perfect aging compliment for my silver wood and it toned down the white "picket fence" color. I will shoot a picture when the sun comes back to the 43 parallel! Hopefully by tomorrow????,  the green color I am using "peeled paint" has to much yellow in it I used a wash of  raw umber , but that wasn't enough, I'll have to find another "filter" to change the color. Pic's to come
Gil
In exile above the 43 Parallel

I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

Mr Potato Head

Sorry Marc, but all I have here is SNOW! dark gloomy and Snow
Maybe tomorrow ??? Unless theres a break, but since I woke up this morning, SNOW, big fluffy flakes, and no SUN, well it's out there somewhere, I just can't see it  :-\ :'( ::) ;)
Gil
In Sunny western Idaho, where we get 300 days of sun, todays not one of them and tomorrow looks iffy
Gil Flores
In exile in Boise Idaho

Mobilgas

Gil,    Pictures would be nice.....on your experiment with the crackle paint??    Craig
Craig