• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Another Rendering Test... Updated

Started by W.P. Rayner, July 10, 2011, 05:57:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

W.P. Rayner

Ok, so it's not a scale part or part of a model, but here's my latest rendering test. It's a brass knuckle kicker pedal I designed a few years ago for our custom bike shop in Cobalt. I converted the old file to Solidworks, did some additional editing and rendered it in Keyshot Pro. Now that I have the file conversion and rendering processes sorted, it's time to get back to work on my current CAD projects.

Paul

SandiaPaul

Paul,

I'm curious...this was rendered in Keyshot, but the previous one you said was done with Inventor. Which do you like and why?

I have IV and also Keyshot but have never done any rendering, but I'd like to try it.

OH, nice work BTW!

Paul
Paul

chester

your renderings are works of art Paul.

W.P. Rayner

Thanks Chester.

Paul: I'm using both Autodesk Inventor and Solidworks. I found that Solidworks handles the transfer and interpretation of the old Cobalt files a little more efficiently than Inventor so I'm keeping both applications in my arsenal. Inventor will likely remain my primary 3D CAD app. Keyshot is an excellent rendering app that runs independently of the CAD application. It will work with files from almost all CAD applications including Solidworks, Inventor and Google Sketchup and for a pro-level rendering application, is quite simple to use. It offers a great many more variables than the stock renderers in Solidworks (Photo 360) and Inventor. It is lacking in some of the features that you find in a more powerful renderer such as Maxwell Render (the industry standard) but makes up for it with ease of use and speed. I'm testing Maxwell Render now and hope to have an example or two to post in a few days - a very complex application.

Paul

lab-dad

Paul,
Pretty cool.
How do you do the negative style border?
Is it a layer you add to all your pictures in PS?
-Marty

W.P. Rayner

Thanks Marty. Yes the 4x5 film frame, lettering and other text are all separate layers added in Photoshop.

Paul

W.P. Rayner

Still working kinks out of the file translation process, but here's another rendering example, this time a motorcycle rear axle box. Unit has integrated LED tail/brake lights & turn signal. I designed this several years ago in Cobalt, then updated the file yesterday with Inventor and rendered in Keyshot.

Paul