• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

food : polymer clay

Started by Bill Gill, June 23, 2016, 06:17:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill Gill

This is really well done in 1:12 scale and I want to try to find more info on how it was done:
http://www.boredpanda.com/i-sculpt-miniaturized-food-replicas/

more at:
https://www.instagram.com/fairchildart_miniatures/

Ray Dunakin

It all looks so delicious! Especially that stew. I wish I could find a restaurant that makes good, fresh beef stew.

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

Malachi Constant

Bill --

There are loads of tutorials on youtube ... some quite crude ... but some way up there ... and certainly enough to get you going.
-- Dallas Mallerich  (Just a freakin' newbie who stumbled into the place)
Email me on the "Contact Us" page at www.BoulderValleyModels.com

finescalerr

Dallas, you haven't posted for a couple of years. What's up? -- Russ

Bill Gill

Hi Dallas! Thanks, I've watched several good tutorial videos, but the coloring of the "food" at that site posted above seemed especially well done. Check out the related carved wooden food site posted in the adjacent thread. The potato chips there reminded me of your chips in an even smaller scale :)

Malachi Constant

Bill -- I did those chips using some air-dry colored clay that was so-so to work with ... I understand that the Sculpey type clays can be color-mixed by kneading ... and if you look carefully, there are some subtle tones to choose from ... then, of course, a little brush work with some appropriate tinting would really "bake the cake" (or whatever) ...

Russ -- See the Blue Note Room!  ;)
-- Dallas Mallerich  (Just a freakin' newbie who stumbled into the place)
Email me on the "Contact Us" page at www.BoulderValleyModels.com

Bill Gill

Dallas, I was given some basic, not very subtle, colors of FIMO clays (similar to Sculpey) and used them to make all the Mcintosh apples for the back of one of the pickup trucks, see apples and clay here:
http://www.finescalerr.com/smf/index.php?topic=2511.15
There was no way I was going to try to paint all those tiny bits after making them so I kneaded a red and a pale green separately and then twisted and rolled them together to get the red/green look of those apples. The clay worked really well. The basic colors mixed very thoroughly.

Sculpey does come in very nice and subtle colors and I've seen a tutorial or two where the craftsperson first added something to the clay to help soften it which helped kneading thoroughly to mix the colors together (Might have been mineral oil). That also helped with smoothing out the surface of items being created. Later even more subtle effects were added with thin acrylic washes and glazes.