• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Quiet earth (was: Exercise module for Plettenberg railroad in 1/22.5 scale)

Started by Hydrostat, November 08, 2012, 11:40:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ray Dunakin

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

Bill Gill

The overhead trolley looks good already and if that isn't really some kind of real wire cable, it is very convincing!

finescalerr

TRAINS1941

Why isn't there mouse-flavored cat food?
George Carlin

Hydrostat

Thanks, guys.

The rope actually is 0.25 mm steel rope. Looking at the snatch block it may have been a tad thicker.

Quote from: finescalerr on May 22, 2021, 12:45:21 AM
It would be rather difficult to improve on that. -- Russ

I'm not with you. It took to many layers to have the yellow color opaque enough on the grey primer and I think some sharpness got lost by that (adding to the limited fashioning of the used airbrush). On the other hand there are some print lines at the flange-mounted electric motor. Some additional dust and dirt will hide that.

Cheers,
Volker
I'll make it. If I have to fly the five feet like a birdie.
I'll fly it. I'll make it.

The comprehensive book about my work: "Vollendete Baukunst"

1-32

Hi Volker.
I like the impression the steel rope has left reminds me of wax,
cheers

lab-dad

I don't recall seeing a castle nut ever on a model.
Can I get a couple dozen in several sizes? 🤪
Beautiful stuff Sir!
Martin

EZnKY

I noticed the castle nut as well.  Now to see the cotter pin to go with it!

Beautiful work!
Eric Zabilka
Lexington, Kentucky

Hydrostat

The crown nuts are part of the brass casting. At a former development state I planned to have them bored, cut a thread and insert a screw (with cotter pin) but then made an assembled casting and forgot to add the pin. Not sure if I'm able to add one because the castings aren't to well borable. Eric, go stand in the corner  :D.

Hydrostat

Eric, thanks for the encouragement, it wasn't that difficult: 0.4 mm bore holes with 0.15 mm copper wire for the cotter pins. You may come out of the corner now.

With Marcel Ackle's friendly assistance I was able to purchase four of the fans Marcel described here (german version). They will give some relief to the facade. Inside there are going to be ventilation shafts, that haven't been at the prototype, but I like the appearance, filling the room a bit more.

They are made from brass strips, taped together and rounded at the sanding disk.

Back sheet is bent over a bur shank.

Edges are made from 1,5 x 1,5 mm brass U-section.

Those tinned and partly burnished brass castings are going to be the runners for the crane's wiring.

Cheers,
Volker

finescalerr

Children, look what Uncle Volker has built! Can you say, "Extraordinary attention to detail?" -- Russ

Design-HSB

Regards Helmut
the journey is the goal

EZnKY

Eric Zabilka
Lexington, Kentucky

Ray Dunakin

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

Hydrostat

I got stuck with the cable for the runners. This is 1 mm silicone line. For now I didn't put any more work into that than fixing it at the runners with CA, having it loosely lying/with no or low tension on the table.

Maybe rubber line would work better, but it tends to embrittle after some time. The silicone line has too much internal tension to dangle somewhat prototypically. Any ideas whether about other suitable materials or how to preserve rubber or making the silicone softer? Any advice would be much appreciated.

Cheers,
Volker