• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Quiet earth (was: Exercise module for Plettenberg railroad in 1/22.5 scale)

Started by Hydrostat, November 08, 2012, 11:40:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hydrostat

Quote from: finescalerr on April 04, 2022, 07:16:26 PM
The basic design is called a chain link fence but the American fences I have seen do not have the "waved grid". How did you fabricate it? -- Russ

I disclose this in hopes that nobody will comment spiritlessly regarding mental health. I found an iron fabric with suitable wire thickness of 0,2 mm (0,008'') and mesh opening. I removed every second and third wire. The side cutter's edges needed to be sanded down to fit to the interspaces, avoiding to weaken them to much, giving way to the wires. The mesh has this wavy structure in both directions, which is rather seldom. I wasn't able to avoid picking a wrong wire from time to time, so the damages are real ones.

Contrary to mesh wire this was implementable to scale.

Cheers,
Volker
I'll make it. If I have to fly the five feet like a birdie.
I'll fly it. I'll make it.

The comprehensive book about my work: "Vollendete Baukunst"

Bernhard

You have to come up with an idea like that first. Hats off to this test of patience. The result is perfect in any case.

Bernhard

finescalerr

I agree. That is the best model of a chain link fence I've ever seen. -- Russ

WP Rayner

I agree as well, best chain link fence model ever... brilliant work.
Paul

Stay low, keep quiet, keep it simple, don't expect too much, enjoy what you have.

Hydrostat

Please have a look here for the prototype of this special kind of fence: https://www.draht-driller.de/wellengitter-blank/16567/wellengitter-blank-50x4-0-mm-2000x1000-mm
It's much more stable than an usual chain link fence, wire thickness up to 5 mm (0,19685''). This kind of fences have been quite popular from the 1930ies to 1960ies. By chance I'll take a picture of an example from my neighbourhood.

Bill Gill

Volker, Thanks for showing the prototype fence. Your mesh version captured it perfectly!

Hydrostat

Russ asked for an overview of the project:

The left and the right segment are somewhat finished, the other ones do have trackage and some rudimental landscape shapes. I'm thinking about renaming this part to 'The acid years' to have a clear distinction from the 'Quiet earth' part with the factory building, which follows subsequent to the left segment. I'm rather tinkering around than following a straight plan of finishing the whole complex. 'A snapshot in time' is the second (or maybe soon third) part/complex. Looking at my building speed and a lack of space I'm not to sure if my life suffices to finish that, but this doesn't matter to me since I know that taking the kind of pictures I want doesn't ask for a completed 'layout'. Anyway my idea is to have three connectable parts, but separating them with walls/visual covers to rather have three scenes than one 'layout' for beholders.

finescalerr

Where would the module(s) from the article you wrote for the 2013 Modelers' Annual go? The overall project is much bigger than I realized. (And where in the house is there space for it?) -- Russ

Ray Dunakin

Making the fence must have been tedious but the results are well worth it!
Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

Hydrostat

Quote from: finescalerr on April 05, 2022, 09:07:42 PM
Where would the module(s) from the article you wrote for the 2013 Modelers' Annual go? The overall project is much bigger than I realized. (And where in the house is there space for it?) -- Russ

It would go to the left of the four depicted segments; it is the initial 'Quiet earth' part with the factory office building with the drawing easels, yard an so on. And well, there's no space in the house for it. I may rig it up at exhibitions, but within the house maximum three segments simultaneously. I do only have to do that for making the transitions from segment to segment. Usually I work at a single element.

Hydrostat

Russ,

I think that explains it a bit better:

You should not have urged me to draw this plan. Now I'm a bit concerned about what I've been doing with my life so far  :D.

Cheers,
Volker

finescalerr

So, if I understand correctly, the colored sections are either complete or under construction and you have not yet built the "sepia" section. What a massive undertaking!

Thank you for showing us the overall design.

Russ

Hydrostat

Aside of the Lohmann building, the bridge, some switches, trackage and details you're right. At the moment 'A snapshot in time' is only components, but no segments.

1-32

Hi Volker.
The great plan I think you have lots of time to finish the project, are you going to compress some of the scenes?
As always a pleasure to see your progress.
KIM.