• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Brick Sizes

Started by Carlo, June 02, 2011, 12:34:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Carlo

Hello, all -
     I am looking for an average 'consensus' size for bricks. I know they varied all over the place, depending on the source, location, era, time-of-day, etc. I don't want to get that specific. I just want to depict a good average size brick wall. If it helps any, my era is 1900 to 1930, and the location is 'somewhere in Italy or southern France'. Prototype dimensions, or at least ranges, will be most helpful. I have been looking, but all I find is very specific examples, not averages.

I am working on a diorama in 7/8" scale, possibly WWI military railways, or later industrial/agricultural railways.

Thanks for the help,
Carlo
http://www.spirito.biz

eTraxx

Ed Traxler

Lugoff, Camden & Northern RR

Socrates: "I drank WHAT?"

Gordon Ferguson

Carlo, I spent hours trying to get some average brick sizes - this was the best I could track down.

Face brick ("house brick") sizes Imperial / Metric

Australia 9 × 4⅓ × 3 in , 230 × 110 × 76 mm
Germany 9 × 4¼ × 2¾ in,  240 × 115 × 71 mm
India 9 × 4¼ × 2¾ in,  228 × 107 × 69 mm
Russia 10 × 4¾ × 2½ in,  250 × 120 × 65 mm
South Africa 8¾ × 4 × 3 in,  222 × 106 × 73 mm
Sweden 10 × 4¾ × 2½ in 250,  × 120 × 62 mm
United Kingdom 8½ × 4 × 2½ in,  215 × 102.5 × 65 mm
United States 8 × 4 × 2¼ in,  203 × 102 × 57 mm

Have to say that even in 7/8ths I would not spend too much time worrying about although they are variations the differences are not that great and scaled down get even less.

Nick should be able to provide a couple of foolscap pages on this subject which will be far better than anything I can add - think the most important point to remember and I have got this wrong more than once is to get the ratios right between the face and the end of the brick. Sorry non technical description but you should be able to fit 2 "ends" plus the mortar course  into the length of the brick.
Gordon

artizen

I am working in 1:24-ish and I made my bricks a compromise size of 8.5mm long x 3mm high x 4mm deep so that end-on you can see the thickness and depth which measures up accurately when doing corners. I fudged on the mortar courses by making them 1mm instead of scale so that I could work the mortar material into the gaps with all of my 10 x 1:1 thumbs. I am using homemade moulds of silicone rubber and mixing casting plaster with cement oxides to get the colours. I deliberately vary the colour as I make batches so that the finished wall has more visual interest. Air bubbles are a complete pain but 90% of them can be hidden along the back face as you build. Slow but satisfying. So far I have cast 19,320 bricks and I am less than half way. Mad or what? (And yes, I keep a brick production list so that I know I have enough on hand for the building in my hand - if you get the picture.)
Ian Hodgkiss
The Steamy Pudding - an English Gentleman's Whimsy in 1:24 scale Gn15 (in progress)
On the Slate and Narrow - in 1:12 scale (coming soon)
Brisbane, Australia

billmart

In the US, the most commonly used face brick is referred to as Modular brick.  A Modular brick typically measures 7 5/8 by 3 5/8 by 2 1/4 inches.  But, as Gordon said, I wouldn't worry too much about trying to make bricks to those exact dimensions.  Anywhere close to this size will look right.

Bill M.

artizen

I was sidelined by the gothic dungeon for a while but I have now reached 24,000 bricks. Still a way to go then.
Ian Hodgkiss
The Steamy Pudding - an English Gentleman's Whimsy in 1:24 scale Gn15 (in progress)
Brisbane, Australia

marc_reusser

Bricks
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

marc_reusser

More Brick

M-Works

marc_reusser

..brick

M-Works

marc_reusser

...brick

M-Works

marc_reusser

...b.r.i.c.k.

M-Works

artizen

My father was a master brick layer. I take it to mean that he could actually build all that stuff!
Ian Hodgkiss
Brisbane, Australia

mabloodhound

Excellent stuff Marc.   I thought I had a lot of brick references but now this.....I've added it to my repertoire.
::)
Dave Mason
D&GRR (Dunstead & Granford) in On30
"A people that values its privileges above its principles will soon lose both."~Dwight D. Eisenhower

EZnKY

Architectural Graphics Standards is a great reference book for those of us trying to build accurate models.  (The pages Marc posted are from this I believe.)
It's the architect's "Bible" for all sorts of things.

Another great source for info on individual components is "Sweet's Indexed Catalog of Building Construction".  There are several versions available on Google Books.  Here's the link to the 1906 edition:
http://books.google.com/books?id=nghFAAAAYAAJ&dq=sweet%3Bs%20indexed%20catalog%20of%20building%20construction&pg=PP1#v=onepage&q=sweet;s%20indexed%20catalog%20of%20building%20construction&f=false
Eric Zabilka
Lexington, Kentucky