• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Jacq's Logging Project Discussion

Started by marc_reusser, February 27, 2008, 05:07:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chuck Doan

Ken knows something about those counterweights as he modelled a window with the frame missing to show it. Talk about making things hard!

I thought double hung related to the Shel Silverstein song "Stacy Brown got two" ;D

Anyway, good to know the difference. 
"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

Ken Hamilton

HA!  Good memory, Chuck. 
Not a good picture, but the missing molding on the window in the middle of this picture
exposes a weight & broken cord....just how I found them in half the windows in my house:

Ken Hamilton
www.wildharemodels.com
http://public.fotki.com/khamilton/models/

marc_reusser

Quote from: Ken Hamilton on July 10, 2009, 06:21:48 AM
Marc, in the relatively short time I've been here I've come to realize that you know a lot of stuff!
Thanks for sharing all your tips, facts, photos and other modeling aids that make out lives easier.

Ken,

It's not that I know a lot of stuff...it's just that I only try to answer the easy questions that fall into the realm of what I am familiar with  ;) (and I have a pretty good reference library). Structure and related questions are generally pretty easy because of what I do for a work....but if you ask me things like locomotive questions, automotive questions or even what plant/tree something is...... the best I could give you is a blank stare  :-\ ;D.

Marc
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

Belg

[/quote]

Structure and related questions are generally pretty easy because of what I do for a work.... :-\ ;D.

Marc
[/quote]

And that's obviously not an English teacher!  ;D ;)

Jacq, your progress is just fantastic, can't wait to see you pull off the moving windows with DCC. Pat

jacq01

Waiting for stuff again. I was too optimistic in my estimates of material needed.
  In the mean time, I tried my luck with the return live roller street of the resaw with transfer chains.

My appologies for the photo quality, just some quick shots of the first test set up.

All mitres are from Sierra West, rolls are homemade from 2K metal glue and painted with Tamiya titanium silver.
  Transfer arms are mix of evergreen channel, 0,5mm spacer to create opening for chain and some 4mm OD drums from a 1: 350 ship derrick.

No weathering applied yet nor grease etc.     NBW still to be added

Test set up with large live rolls. Rolls are made from stainless tube  6mm OD/ 4mm ID  bearings are Sierra West live rolls cut in halve and filed round to fit the tubes. All rolls cut and filed by hand  ;D ;D gave me some needed movement and exercise.

Jacq

Jacq
put brain in gear before putting mouth in action.
never underestimate the stupidity of idiots
I am what I remember.

jacq01

It is getting crowded. The resaw feeder with reserve skids. For the transverses I have use link chain as interlocking chain in such small sizes is not available. The smallest I can get is 4mm wide with 3,2mm pitch. Gordon, Ken and other large scalers
have been using it.

The timber transverse are for measurement reasons sand will be replaced by chanel construction , feeder chains and sprockets.

Jacq
I am what I remember.

Chuck Doan

Beautiful, Jacq. It is definetly getting harder to work on!
"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

MrBrownstone

Hello Jacq,

That is very Inspiring, I am amazed be such fine craftsmanship.  :)

Between this project and the one marty is working on, I am very happy to be of wittness to such workings.

Question: Has anyone tried "watch band pins" for rollers? I can recall seeing some that could pass for such an effect.

It looks so real in these photo's. I can only imagine how it looks with the naked eye.. :o

Mike

jacq01

The transfer tables with cant feeder for the resaw all in place, ready for final weathering when sawdust, etc will be added.
Stairs and logcar/scalers platform are ready, logcar winch in production.

Roller lines for mainsaw and resaw return are finished and fitted.

I have decided to add a wall on the far side, painted white inside, with doors and windows.

Jacq
I am what I remember.

finescalerr

You planning to win a prize with that or something?

Incidentally, the white wall is a good idea for two reasons: It provides an uncluttered backdrop to focus attention on the hardware and also reflects light back on the machinery to make it easier to see.

Russ

jmartin

My oh my.  This is simply stellar.  Some of the best craftsmanship I have ever seen.  Keep up the remarkable work.  It is one of those models that simply makes others want to model.

John
John Martin
Fort Mill, SC
http://public.fotki.com/johnmartin

jacq01

Russ,

I don't like building specifically for prizes/contests/recognition.       Only the thought......

It is a challenge to myself, to understand what I am building.
 And to communicate my interpretation. ;D ;D

Jacq

I am what I remember.

marc_reusser

Quote from: jmartin on July 30, 2009, 12:55:22 PM
  It is one of those models that simply makes others want to model.

John

...hmmm...makes me want to quit and take up building balsa and paper airplanes.

Marc
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

MrBrownstone

Well you did it to me as well Jacq,

I have run out of words to dicribe my view on this project....(well maybe one more word..."Magnificient!")

did you figure out the tilt window hardware? (the opening and closing of them)

simply a pleasure to see this coming along.....

Mike

jacq01

Uncle,

reading your obsession with antlers ( especially on DIESELS) I have to come back on your question:

QuoteYou planning to win a prize with that or something?

Yes I intended to participate at the NGC as I have enough lengths of chain left for random application,
  full bottles of not yet applied rust and tons of loosely laying around clutter on my workbench to supply all participants with stuff.  It all is failing with the unavailability of antlers to put on te roofcorners and apex.
  As this is taking away any chance to fall in the prices, I decided to withdraw my application. >:( >:(

Jacq
I am what I remember.