• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Jacq's Logging Project Discussion

Started by marc_reusser, February 27, 2008, 05:07:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

marc_reusser

Jacq,

Speaking earlier of corrugated, as well as enginehouses, while looking for other stuff, ran across this pic of Madera Sugar pine Shay #6 in their engine-house.

Marc
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

jacq01

Frederic,

thanks for the Sturgeon link.  I started with the articles and plans by Boone Morrison, together with the mill done by Marty Jones. Very nice backwoods material, but not what I was looking for. 

Marc understood, when I started some 18 - 20 months ago, what I was after and offered a wealth on information.
This enabled me to understand what is needed to design and built a mill with a large bandsaw, all the correct machinery together with all the relevant material around it. 

Paul used on his Roughboy site a beautifull and accurate description of how I like to prepare and present my material:

"Not a sense of fantasy but a sense of documentation"

The model is based on the Hume Bennett mill but adapted to enable viewing the process and equipment inside.
The mill building 134'0" long x 50'0" wide and approx 56'0" high from groundfloor to roof apex. It is part of a 16'0"diorama under construction. The diorama is based on a picture from around 1902 of the area around the Mumby Lumber mill. 

It is now my challenge to blend all these items to a composition in which I am able to show the atmosphere of time gone by, to draw the spectator into the scene.

Marc,

thanks for the Madera engine house photo.  Lot's of usefull structural details and materials visible.
With the prospect of manufacturing the corrugation for the roof of the mill, the idea to cover the walls and roofs of the workshop and engine house with corrugated sheets is not a tempting one.   :-\ :-\

Within a couple of days I hope to receive "Thunder in the Mountains " by Hank Johnson.
The bookshelf is getting overloaded with books, prints of patents and internet info.

Has anyone info on sawband lifts used to transfer the large sawbands to the filers room and like to share it with me ?   ;D ;D

Jacq

put brain in gear before putting mouth in action.
never underestimate the stupidity of idiots
I am what I remember.

RoughboyModelworks

Looks like you've got a Mill-Raising going on there Jacq... lots of progress since I last checked in. Looking great and excellent workmanship as always.

I'm with Marc on this... you could probably manufacture your own windows out of styrene using jigs and fixtures to speed the process. If the windows are at all similar to one another, you could make a couple of masters and cast or have them cast in resin... The finishing time is going to be the same whichever way you go, but you'll have exactly what you need without making compromises.

Paul

finescalerr

Pardon my hi-tech heresy but, for doors and windows, I'd send a drawing to Tom at Crystal River Products and have him laser cut the parts from Strathmore. It will blow away styrene. -- Russ

jacq01

Russ

that's the way I have in mind when my exercises with (0,5 x 0,5 mm) cherriewood strips are not giving the quality I am after.
 Do you know what sort of CAD programs are acceptable? I have to ask my son who can do the drawings in Soliworks or Google Sketchup or son in law for a Autocad version. :-[   I'll have a 0,3mm pencil along a ( hopefully) straight edge to produce a drawing.  I'll contact Crystal Rivers Products to see or multi layered drawings are needed to create the windows. Your name will of course add some weight  :D :D

Marc   
Quotethe mfrs inability to understand period window construction
and some more like this ignorant naval architect :-[ :-[
If you have some details... I get lost in all that is being offered on the net. The photo's of the Hume mill are not clear enough to pick out details.

Who is offering scale thickness glass??  Chuck has been using glass (in O scale?) with amazing results but I am not able to discover where he has the glass from. A glasscutter I have  ;D ;D

Here the latest progress: 

The sawfiler room will be floored when the stair stringer supports are in place.
Walls will go up when window drawing is final.

Rooftrusses will be joint with purlins and apex intersection with Skylight roof apex.
Roof will be detachable to reach interior.

The situation yesterday.  ;D ;D       it's going like a spear.
30 cm ( 12") ruler added for size comparisson.

Have a nice weekend,  I will  ;D ;D ;D ;D ( lots of scale lumber, arrived parts, no household chores or family plans ....)

Jacq

I am what I remember.

lab-dad

WOW, Really looking nice! Love the "see through" w/o the roof on!
The Crystal River windows are the best you can find anywhere!
I get my glass from Clover House, let me know if you need help in obtaining it.
-Marty

finescalerr

The model is coming together just beautifully. Really exquisite.

A two dimensional AutoCad drawing works for nearly anybody with a laser cutter. You would send either the native "dwg" file or, if the laser guy uses a different program, a "dxf" file from any CAD program. But even if you don't have access to CAD you could still draw the plan with a pencil and write the dimensions. Then whoever does your laser work can quickly and easily trace or redraw the plan on a computer. I always send a dxf drawing because it's universal and easy for Tom to import and modify.

I did not use layers in any drawing I sent but the drawing showed each individual component of each window together with an "assembled" view. That way Tom knew exactly what I had in mind.

Russ

marklayton

Jacq -

1/8" window glass scales out at 0.0026" (0.066 mm) thick at 1:48 scale.  The thinnest glass I've found is Thickness 0 microscope cover glass from Ted Pella, Inc.  Thickness 0 ranges from 0.08 – 0.13 mm.  The thinnest stock is getting close.  It would be fine for 1:32, and probably acceptable for 1:48.

The URL for their page of cover glass is http://www.tedpella.com/histo_html/coverslp.htm#anchor260164

Mark
He who dies with the most tools wins.

jacq01

What was the colour of the ( hot dipped?)  galvanised corrugated metal sheets. Here galvanised sheets have a greyish colour. I also have seen shiny silverish sheets. Does the colour fades to a matt grey after some time?

Photo's of the Hume mill or the Pino Grande mill are not conclusive, except for the fact that they reflect a lot of light.
    No corrosion visible. On the Pino Grande mill ( after 50 years) some dirt or rust streaks are visible on photo's made just before the closure.
     Dirt and other deposits will of course gather in the usual places, but I have not noticed on mills in their prime heavily corroded roofs.

The area chosen is 1905 - 1915  with the mill approx 5-10 years old.

Jacq
I am what I remember.

jacq01

Some progress.
   It was a pain in the ... to get the skylight rafters lined up with the rafters of the filers room roof.
   Based on some obscure photo's, I spaced the rafters 2'0" and will space the purlins at approx 3'0" to get the correct roof nailing spacings.  Is my interpretation correct or................

Angles, slopes, small clamps, glue, falling pieces,  drawings, sections and fold-outs made my son ask or intended to start working again.

Some rafters on the fillers roof still to lined out and fixed.

It amazes me that for such a fragile wooden construction it still all lines up  ;D ;D ;D   the squareness of the roof and fillers room sides needs a 0,5mm shim to allign all parts  :D :D :D 
Murphy occassionally drops by, but now I haven't seen him for a while. Must be visiting someone else  :D :D

Trying to built the structure as much as possible as an orginal my respect for the skils and inventivity of the tradesman of that time is very very high.

Jacq
I am what I remember.

TRAINS1941

Jacq

Oh this is just becoming one of the most outstanding sawmills or for that matter any building that's been undertaken here. Great workmanship Jacq!!

Jerry
Why isn't there mouse-flavored cat food?
George Carlin

marc_reusser

Jacq,

Really just outstanding. Beautiful to watch this come along. Feels almost like I was watching the real thing go up.

In regards to the corrugated.....in a 5 year span, it probably would have very little rust and corrosion...maybe only where edges were cut, holles punched for fastening, or the coating was damaged/worn during shipping or installation....or some really adverse condition exists, such as coontinuous condensation/heating/cooling from a steam pipe or stack. The metal in general would probably have begun to soften to nice soft grey tones (the dulling of the finish). 

One thing to possibly consider with materials....sometimes, as in the case of the Sanger mill at Converse Basin, the mills were moved/rebuilt at a new location.......and so it is likely that much of the salvageable/use-able building material (such as the roofing) from the old mill was re-used at the new mill site (since it would be less expensive to re-use and move material already there...than have to bring all new material up into the woods/mountains).....if not in the main mill building, then likely in the outbuildings. ...thus you would likely have some pieces/areas/buildings that have a different finish on certain materials.

Marc
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

Chuck Doan

What Jerry said, I couldn't agree more!
"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

finescalerr

You probably know, Jacq, that if you want me to publish an article on your masterpiece, just tell me. -- Russ

jacq01

to be able to finish p.e the filers room and add lights and cables I had to think about how to construct the various roofs.

Trial fit of the fillers roof and skylight ( clerestorial?) together with some windows.  20 panel will be changed to 16 panel.
   Fillers room roof and complete skylight will be one unit. The skylight fits into a recess formed in the mainroof.

The  skylight uprights are fixed to the untreated horizontal timber. This will be the lower fixing surface of the walls
   ( a sketch will be added later to explain how it all fits together )

Test pieces of skylight wall.     
     Weathered part is finished board and batten test piece.
     Untreated part shows boards and window construction.

Detail of board and batten wall construction before battens were added.
  Basic material is 6,2mm x 0,5mm cherry wood, treated with Silver Wood after light sanding to remove some fuss.
  The wall shape is drawn on lined/squared writing paper ( not too heavy quality)
  On one side the boards are glued, when finished the other side is covered.
  The boards are than lightly sanded.  In this case the natural grain of the cherry wood came out very subtle so no
  extra treatment with a wirebrush is necessary.

The following step is adding the battens. Ahorn strips of 1,5mm x 0,5mm are close to scale 3" x 1" battens  ;D
   Some battens have been treated with Silver Wood and others were left plain before glueing in place.
   The underside of the batten is pulled over spread out glue and wiped before adding to the boards.  This way hardly any glue is oozing out when applying some weights to assist the drying and fixing.

The wall section prior to treatment and battens. The back will be fully detailed with window frames, furring battens etc. as inside is visible through the windows.

Test with some materials in house to see how the composition will look like. Windows will most probably of the tilting type. There are some nice photo's of the 2nd Converse mill showing this type skylight windows.

Is it normal practice that the corrugated roof fits under the wall parts? Or is there a metal flashing?

Jacq
I am what I remember.