• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Steel cable transmission

Started by Peter_T1958, October 29, 2012, 12:13:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scratchman

Very nice modeling! Great Finish over-all and I like the color.

Gordon Birrell

https://www.flickr.com/photos/gordonbirrell/

Ray Dunakin

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

Hydrostat

Peter,

that's all over fantastic  :o. Your results are absolutely amazing both in scratchbuilding and painting. About color: That's a good choice for sure, but be cautious with the prospectus' coloring. This looks like a lithography, which is a bit elaborate using more than one color and they may simply have colored the machine parts as they did the water. I've rather seen such big gears at ancient mills or so being painted with some kind of tar, which gave a rather durable protection than many of the colors used back then. Considering those parts have been erected close to / in the town they may have been colored, though. Howsoever - for the model the color adds much more than a dull black with grease traces.

Cheers,
Volker

I'll make it. If I have to fly the five feet like a birdie.
I'll fly it. I'll make it.

The comprehensive book about my work: "Vollendete Baukunst"

Bill Gill

Peter, I concour, your heart spoke true with the color. Excellent weathering too.

Peter_T1958

Thanks a lot, gentlemen, for such positive feedback.

Quote from: Hydrostat on November 24, 2015, 11:48:19 PM
About color: That's a good choice for sure, but be cautious with the prospectus' coloring. This looks like a lithography, which is a bit elaborate using more than one color and they may simply have colored the machine parts as they did the water.

Well observed! Indeed the lithography doesn't have much to offer, but it was this image that gave me the idea, that the machine parts could have been painted. Other contemporary  photos  showed a bright hue, especially on the huge transmission wheels. Moreover they aren't as weathered as the gear and axle/bearing components.

Compared to a smaller but still existing installation in the wider vicinity strengthened me in my decision to choose an bluish-green gray hue.
Here an actual picture taken in Neuthal:

"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication" -Leonardo Da Vinci-

https://industrial-heritage-in-scale.blogspot.ch/

Peter_T1958

Hi all

I am working on my project mainly during the holidays, when my desk is empty again. So progress is still slow, but this only hampers in relation of not being able to persuade other interesting projects  ::)
I used the time to do some airbrush sessions. All those tiny parts need a lot of attention and time. The result you can see here:

One big shock after cleaning the huge transmission wheels in acetone. First they sofened and deformed. Fortunaltely I managed to bend back all that with the help of a hairdryer. After drying they had become rather brittle and I had to repair some broken drill holes with superglue and baking soda.  So be careful with your Shapeways products!

Here one of the wheels (Volkers wheels!) after sanding, priming and the first paint coat. It still has to be weathered.

Cheers,
Peter

Hydrostat

Peter,

your airbrush sessions seem to have ended successfully! I think aside of the backdrop and the depth of focus in the pictures the parts will pass for 1-1 scale. Sad to hear of your mishap with the printed parts. In a lot of forums people advice to use aceton for cleaning, but meanwhile I rather like to use an ultrasonic cleaner with some lukewarm water and detergent for the same reason you discovered. If I remember right you printed it in FUD; the (new) FXD material is a bit more stable. Glad to see some progress here!

Volker
I'll make it. If I have to fly the five feet like a birdie.
I'll fly it. I'll make it.

The comprehensive book about my work: "Vollendete Baukunst"

Bill Gill

Peter, Your painting and weathering look very realistic. Good to hear you could bend everything back into shape after that close call.

Barney

Lovely stuff and very clever technics
Barney

finescalerr

Outstanding work, including the repaired part. -- Russ

Ray Dunakin

I really like the look of the faded, worn paint and old, oily metal. Very realistic!
Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

Peter_T1958

Thank you very much for your comments.
Here the current satus: All completed parts installed.

As a side note: Yes, I know that I am a pretty bad photographer. All shots were made with a magnifying glass in front of my pocket camera.  ;D

lab-dad

That looks really good. I love the scene.
Marty

Bill Gill

Peter, Your photo looks good to me, and if it's not perfect, then at least one aspect of your modeling is at a mere human level rather than magic. :)

Allan G

Bill's comment is great. Send me that magnifying glass so I can place it in front of my lens. Fantastic craftsmanship!..... Allan