• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

The Corliss project

Started by lab-dad, May 18, 2009, 09:55:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lab-dad

Funny what inspires me.
I have always like the Corliss engines.
Timber Times recently ran an article about them and I purchased a book too.
I also did some research on original patents through google.
Unfortunately I was not able to find plans/blueprints so I drew my own scaling the plans from photos and the few know dimensions.
I also have always wanted to build a brass model so the two seemed a natural combination.
I am by no means a machinist, but I am having fun, learning things and improving my skills.

-Marty

finescalerr

Marty, the work you have done so far is nothing less than stellar. - Russ

Chuck Doan

Being able to fabricate what you want, is priceless. It is time consuming, but you are not dependant on what others make (or discontinue making). Hopefully, someday, I will have a super fine resolution desktop prtotype machine, and I too will make whatever I want.
"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

jacq01

Marty,

beyond me ( in brass)
   do you have following info already :

http://www.wkinsler.com/technology/corliss/figures/index.html

Jacq
put brain in gear before putting mouth in action.
never underestimate the stupidity of idiots
I am what I remember.

lab-dad

Thanks guys!
Yes Jacq, but thanks for the heads up!
I have a TON of info, think I could even run one!  ???
Just came in from soldering up the "housing"
-Marty

jacq01

Marty,

if it's 1:48 I can use one in the enginehouse  ;D ;D
  Nice job to tune it with all the adjustable valves  ;) ;) before you cn run one.

the PinoGrande had Corliss engines so I became interested.
  As I am building a derivative of the Hume mill i have to find out what engines were used there.

You are going to finish up as Paul with all the bolts for his shay, or John with his 1:22.5 stuff...............

Jacq
put brain in gear before putting mouth in action.
never underestimate the stupidity of idiots
I am what I remember.

Frederic Testard

What a neat work, Marty. Again, you're going to build one of your great chef d'oeuvre. I hope you'll post plenty of pictures for us to enjoy and learn!
Frederic Testard

Krusty

What scale is it?

You're way too modest about your machining skills. It looks pretty damn good to me.
Kevin Crosado

"Caroline Wheeler's birthday present was made from the skins of dead Jim Morrisons
That's why it smelt so bad"

John McGuyer

Lookin' good! Should be lots of neat little brass things to make. I look forward to seeing them.

John

lab-dad

sorry I forgot to mention; 1:32 scale.
The flywheel had to be outsourced and I found one 6" in dia which worked out perfectly for 16 foot in diameter in 1:32nd.
Yes lots of bolts, lots!....
-Thanks gang.
-Marty

TRAINS1941

-MJ

Expecting nothing less from you.  Once again you have gotten everyone's interest.  And once again your research and persistence in doing something different has just moved you one step farther up the ladder.
Just another outstanding job.  Just glad to have you around for all the unanswered questions I have.

Jerry
Why isn't there mouse-flavored cat food?
George Carlin

PuckHog

Marty,   Echo the others, very impressed with you r brass work!!

Randy

marc_reusser

I feel so betrayed...you've abandoned the light of styrene for the dark side of brass.  ;) ;D

Beautifully done...I too echo the others sentiments, and look forward to your progress. What will you be doing with this when complete?...a dio?

Marc
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

lab-dad

thanks Marc,
no worries i had thought of styrene but I want the movement (styrene would have been cheaper and way cheaper!!!).
not sure what it will be when done, may be some 1:32 rolling stock and a loco will appear?

Boy this crankshaft housing was a pain!
I wish I could afford a resistance soldering unit.
anyway, its done. not perfect but the shape and look I wanted.
It's kinda cool to watch the connecting rod go in and out ans the throw goes round.
the crankshaft is just a temporary piece of aluminum.

-Marty

finescalerr

Blind Willy Myopowitz sends his compliments. -- Russ