• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Designing a shadowbox diorama

Started by Hauk, July 27, 2016, 02:28:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hauk

Quote from: fspg2 on November 11, 2021, 10:42:14 AM
Hauk,

it just looks great - I'm always happy about your sequels!

Thanks!
I fear that I tend to overpost at times, but hopefully there will be at least a nugget of useful information in each of them.
Regards, Hauk
--
"Yet for better or for worse we do love things that bear the marks of grime, soot, and weather, and we love the colors and the sheen that call to mind the past that made them"  -Junichiro Tanizaki

Remembrance Of Trains Past

finescalerr

No, I have never thought you post too much. -- Russ

Lawton Maner

I'm waiting for the pulpit, pews, and the alter.

finescalerr

Lawton, go stand in the corner. Over by the vise. -- Russ

Ray Dunakin

Post all you want, Hauk! I enjoy every post.
Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

Barney

Keep posting "lots of it " I agree with all
Barney
Never Let someone who has done nothing tell you how to do anything
Stuart McPherson

Lawton Maner

Russ:

Not until the confessionals have been installed and you've tested one.

Bill Gill

Hauk, I like the lighting, but am also interested in your ideas to experiment with dimming , color balance and moonlight effects. my drugstore model will have some lighting to hopefully have a "modern" fluorescent look to it befitting the updating of the store interior.

Lawton what are you witing on to get altered? It looks good already :)

Hauk

Thanks for all the good and not so good suggestions!

I have no altar or pews, but at least the windows look quite sacral at least:

I am experimenting into the absurd here, but I felt that the etched windows looked a little flat in the 0,25mm sheets I ordered for all the metal parts. So I had another set of windows etched in 0,6mm metal. The idea was that might look a little more like cast iron windows with a little more "beef" to them. I think they do, and I feel that the "tent" effect on the edges of the edges helps in this. This tent-shape of the edges are usually a bug and not a feature, and on etchings as thick as 0.6mm they usually would have to be sanded flat. A close up might show the effect better:

Since last time I have experienced a bit more with Affenity for focus-stacking, and it is a bit better than photoshop, and faster to use:

Affinity is the top image, photoshop is at the bottom. the differnce in color has nothing to do with the software, I just tweaked them a bit different.
Regards, Hauk
--
"Yet for better or for worse we do love things that bear the marks of grime, soot, and weather, and we love the colors and the sheen that call to mind the past that made them"  -Junichiro Tanizaki

finescalerr

The window upgrade probably was unnecessary but does look a tiny bit better. The Affinity depth of field stacking looks better and so does the overall modification of the image. Altogether, then, your work is a complete success. -- Russ

Ray Dunakin

Great windows! I wish I had the capability of producing thin metal frames like those.
Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

finescalerr

Ray, one thing you could do is to hire a laser cutting guy. If you can draw the part in an illustration or photo editing program, many lasers can cut from a JPEG. -- Russ

Lawton Maner

Bill:
Read my exchanges with Russ.  The interior looks like it should be a church not a grubby loco repair facility.  I realize now that I spelled altar wrong.  My bad. 

Hauk

My musings on the different thicknesses of metal for the etched windows were perhaps not as clear as I intended.

So I made a side-by-side comaparasion of the 0,6mm and 0,25mm thick etchings. The 0,6mm etching is to the left:

It is worth noting that the artwork (photo-tooling) is exactly the same. So the mullions are the same width, only the thickness is different.

I think that the 0,6 version looks slightly more 3D. But the question is if it is worth fuzzing over it. When the diorama is completed, I doubt that anyone would have noted the difference. At times I find this type of experimenting fruitful, but this time I just feel a bit irritated with myself for wasting time and money on this!
Regards, Hauk
--

WP Rayner

Quote from: Hauk on November 14, 2021, 11:44:10 AM

I think that the 0,6 version looks slightly more 3D. But the question is if it is worth fuzzing over it. When the diorama is completed, I doubt that anyone would have noted the difference. At times I find this type of experimenting fruitful, but this time I just feel a bit irritated with myself for wasting time and money on this!

I agree with your assessment, the 0.6 version is much more effective and readable. Whether or not anyone else notices the difference is not particularly relevant, you will, and it's better to commit to the version that pleases you now rather than wish later that you had made the change. No need to feel irritated. Though it may seem like it at the time, neither time nor money is wasted if you learn something from the experience.
Paul

Stay low, keep quiet, keep it simple, don't expect too much, enjoy what you have.