• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Designing a shadowbox diorama

Started by Hauk, July 27, 2016, 02:28:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

finescalerr

And another. -- Russ

Peter_T1958

Hi Havard

To get back to your question: Back in my military modelling times a wisdom stated « Don't overdo it ». It is my feeling, that your approaches are a bit too coarse ; less would have been more.
While viewing the first two pictures in your thread I have the impression, that the walls are covered with a layer of thin light coloured paint (white?).  There are traces of humidity and discoloration, but just a few on the side walls. I would try to copy that : Thinned colour and minimal - hardly visible contamination.

Finally a strange idea yet: My wife (!) used FARROW & BALL colours to paint the living room five years ago. They are waterbased and they gave a lovely wall colour feeling, when I experimented with them on different surfaces ...
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication" -Leonardo Da Vinci-

https://industrial-heritage-in-scale.blogspot.ch/

Les Tindall

The Henry ord Museum at Dearborn has a wealth of inspiration for modellers. Luckily crossed the "pond" some years ago to visit it (along with some mainline steam specials). One of those places to go back to.
Les

Design-HSB

Quote from: SandiaPaul on October 15, 2021, 03:37:56 AM
here is a good pic, dig around and you can find some more

https://www.flickr.com/photos/jeffs4653/7006020644/in/photolist-bF6FRo-6djZR5-Yy82Zd-Utstv1-Ki4rsM-2bq6dpH-2aqoDbk-2itjcRE-pRHbDQ-A9wiZ3-2g66aPm-2g63cXh-XB5zyP-nvYNW1-TM6LA3-2jXdrdm-MLtJ4U-SxmQmE-pqcU3S-2bq6dfV-2h5aUiA-U9nZ2E-q5DhKU-zUexLb-XB5zzR-XB5zyD-XB5zAn-2g68h29-2g62V22-q5Mckr-2g4hCa3-qn1UXg-TM6LUu-2dzB6n9-Yy82WY-c5y61j-XB5zy8-6BX4Yh-Yy82VW-MGqLYB-2g68nUV-VXqG5i-2bq6d92-2ajtL2y-TM5bEW-29NR8BL-2gvA6Mc-2g65mY4-2dqjnLr-2g66nCS
Thank you for this picture Paul, on which you can clearly see how the walls are whitewashed. White walls reflect the light in workshops very well and make the room brighter. In addition, these lime paints are very inexpensive. The bases of the walls are additionally set in industrial gray to make dirt not so noticeable.
Regards Helmut
the journey is the goal

1-32

Hi Hauk.
Have admired your work for many years and especially your eye for quality really very nice.
cheers

Hauk

Quote from: 1-32 on October 24, 2021, 12:32:11 AM
Hi Hauk.
Have admired your work for many years and especially your eye for quality really very nice.
cheers

Thanks for the kind words!

Time for a little progress report. I have taken a break from the wall experiments, and worked a bit more on my treasured CHB kits. So far the results are satisfactory but under close scrutiny I can see that I probably should have spent a bit more time on cleaning up the castings, and preparing the surface. But it will have to do, and in the complete scene they should look just fine.  The bench vices have been finished as well. Mounted on the bench they look a bit oversize, so I think I will look for a slightly smaller model. Suggestions, anyone?  

I have also tested a LED-panel for the lighting of the diorama, and the results are quite promesing, in my opinion. The goal is to simulate daylight flooding the room through windows and skylights. The image above is lighted with light entering only through the models windows and skylights.

Here is how the  LED-panel fits into the setup:

And so the stage is set!

Regards, Hauk
--
"Yet for better or for worse we do love things that bear the marks of grime, soot, and weather, and we love the colors and the sheen that call to mind the past that made them"  -Junichiro Tanizaki

Remembrance Of Trains Past

Ray Dunakin

Looks great! I like the way the entire thing is focused solely on the interior.
Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

finescalerr

It is more a work of art than just a model. -- Russ

Hauk

Quote from: finescalerr on November 11, 2021, 12:46:29 AM
It is more a work of art than just a model. -- Russ

That counts for a lot coming from you. Thanks.
Regards, Hauk
--
"Yet for better or for worse we do love things that bear the marks of grime, soot, and weather, and we love the colors and the sheen that call to mind the past that made them"  -Junichiro Tanizaki

SandiaPaul

I think I recognize that mill! ;)

As for the vise...they came in all sizes and for a shop like that a large vise would have been "standard", I see no problem with it. I would leave it there.
Paul

Hauk

Quote from: SandiaPaul on November 11, 2021, 03:20:31 AM
I think I recognize that mill! ;)

I hope that you feel that the mill have found a good home!

Regards, Hauk
--

Peter_T1958

Havardtastic!!! A real work of art indeed! Can the lamp also be dimmed?
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication" -Leonardo Da Vinci-

https://industrial-heritage-in-scale.blogspot.ch/

fspg2

Hauk,

it just looks great - I'm always happy about your sequels!
Frithjof

Hauk

Quote from: Peter_T1958 on November 11, 2021, 10:32:16 AM
Havardtastic!!! A real work of art indeed! Can the lamp also be dimmed?

Thanks!

You can find LED-panels with dimmers, but this one doesnt have that feature.
I was a bit over-eager when I ordered the panel, and I should have looked a bit closer into the specs.

If I buy another LED-panel, I would look for one with a dimmer already built in, and one with a better Color Rendering Index. My LED-panel has a CRI somewhere in the 80s, but for color photography it should ideally be around 95. The higher the CRI, the better the  color renderign will be.
(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Color_rendering_index)

I have also tried to find a LED-panel with adjustable color for night effects, but It seems like this is not an option. Maybe some RGB LED-strips could work for simulating moonlight shining through the windows on one side of the building. This would be used only in combination with interior lighting (wich is a project in itself)

Regards, Hauk
--