• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Designing a shadowbox diorama

Started by Hauk, July 27, 2016, 02:28:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Design-HSB

Hello Hauk,

this is a great example template.
I'm curious to see how this continues with you.
Regards Helmut
the journey is the goal

Ray Dunakin

Quote from: Hauk on March 20, 2021, 08:53:48 AM
No actual modelling progress this weekend as me and the missus took a trip out of town to visit family. But fortunately I did a find this weekend as well. Peering through the window of a local industrial museum (closed due to you know what) I was able to get this shot of a boiler room with a wonderfully old floor complete with inlaid tracks!

Great find, and what perfect reference for your project!
Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

Hauk

Im happy to report that a milestone for the project has been achived. All the subwalls and roofs have noe been milled from 8mm forex board. So I have finally been able to make a test setup:

Regards, Hauk
--
"Yet for better or for worse we do love things that bear the marks of grime, soot, and weather, and we love the colors and the sheen that call to mind the past that made them"  -Junichiro Tanizaki

Remembrance Of Trains Past

Hydrostat

Wow - what a spacial impact! It's a pleasure to see. What size is it all in all?
I'll make it. If I have to fly the five feet like a birdie.
I'll fly it. I'll make it.

The comprehensive book about my work: "Vollendete Baukunst"

SandiaPaul

Paul

Bill Gill

Peter_T1958

In one of your first posts on the « Wooden ore cars » you wrote :

«I have finally realised that I want the cars to be strictly metal and wood as the prototype.»

This credo turns here into a perfect result. Wonderful and delicate workmanship!!!

Cheers, Peter
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication" -Leonardo Da Vinci-

https://industrial-heritage-in-scale.blogspot.ch/

Lawton Maner

With a vaulted ceiling like this one, it almost could be used as a church.  Certainly is inspiring.  Just the thing for a Sunday posting.

Hauk

Thanks a lot for all the encouraging comments!

Those who have followed this thread from the beginning knows that I agonized for a long time about how to compose the scene.
Now that things start to come together, I must admit that I am extremely happy that I chose the "straight on" composition. That trip to the miniature museum in Lyon really paid off.

In the last minute I also added some extra depth, so the now the model i 55 cm (22") deep and 31cm across.

This extra depth was added so that there are seven rows of windows instead of six as originally planned. With only six windows depth the skylight came right up to the viewing aperture (crudely mocked up in the picture).  To concentrate the viewers attention to the center of the room, I want the area closest to the viewer  (the first 3") to be slightly darker and less detailed than further into the scene. I don´t know if this makes sense, but hopefully this will help to "draw" the viewer into the scene. Time will show if this work! 

Regards, Hauk
--
"Yet for better or for worse we do love things that bear the marks of grime, soot, and weather, and we love the colors and the sheen that call to mind the past that made them"  -Junichiro Tanizaki

Chuck Doan

Looking great! Those trusses are beautiful.
"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

finescalerr

Impressively adequate and it makes a big impact. I love those photos of your exquisite modeling. -- Russ

Ray Dunakin

Very impressive and gives a great sense of space.
Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

HelgeAndreas

Aiai, Håvard!

This looks very nice! Very inspiring to take part in your achievements! Hope to be able to see it in "real - life"..

H

Hauk

This is really the place to get inspiration to try and raise the bar of ones work!

By the way, I think there might be a couple of interesting learning points  in my last pictures.

First: There really isn´t that much detailing to see at this point. And I think that the images would not loose much impact if you removed the travelling crane and the NBW´s on the roof rafters. The important thing is that the work is sharp. And I mean that literally. (I have in fact cut my fingers on those walls.)  I learned this lesson when building models in Architectural school. Models does not need to be detailed at all, but they must always be sharp. Especially in the smaller architectural scales like 1/500 or 1/1000.

Second: It is all about the light. You don´t need scale lighting. The light will fall through your models windows and skylights exactly the same way as on the prototype.The shadows will be perfect as well.  I shot the pictures indoors, but had I taken the time to take the model outdoors the results would have been even better. Outdoors, the lighting is just perfect, of course.

But I am really looking forward to get details and weathering done!
Regards, Hauk
--

Barney

LOOKING GREAT - Attention to detail is incredible
Barney
Never Let someone who has done nothing tell you how to do anything
Stuart McPherson