• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

What I spent My Allowance On (New Stuff For The Bench)

Started by marc_reusser, February 26, 2010, 02:28:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shropshire lad

It was the big IPMS show at Telford ( England) over the weekend , and I spent a big wodge ( technical term) of my birthday money from my Mummy and Mummy-in-law on stuff from the show . The bulk of it went on AK Interactive washes and weathering fluids , but the one I was really after , the worn effects fluid , was all sold out. So I'll have to scour the country for some .

I also spent what many people would regard as silly money on some 1/35th scale barbed wire made by this lot http://www.rmgresinmodels.com/ , but when it is rusted up will look better than any etched brass stuff . It is only available intermittantly from the company so you have to grab it when you see it .

I spent £6.00 on two pieces of rubberised horsehair , which I'll use to make hedges and shrubs . I had previously dismissed it as being on a par with lichen and coloured sawdust for realistic scenery , mainly because I hadn't seen it be used properly . But I saw some on these people's stand http://www.treemendusmodels.co.uk/ that convinced me that it could be made to look pretty realistic . I have been playing around with a piece over the last day and I'll post a photo sometime , if I can be bothered .

The last thing I bought was a copy of this book . It has three or four articles devoted to aging and weathering vehicles using many of the latest methods with great results . One of them is by Rick Lawler , who if you know his work , is worth buying the book for just his article alone . There is also a gallery at the back of a number of other modellers work , some of whom are familiar to everyone here . £25.00 . Expensive or good value ? You decide . Me ,I think it is worth the money .

Nick

I wasn't going to say this until I ordered myself a copy , but as a way of a heads up, there is Volume 2 of Mig 's FAQ book is going to be available at the end of the month for a limited time . This will cost an eye watering 57 Euros but I think will be worth having if you are into weathering your vehicles nicely .

shropshire lad

Bloody typical , it would appear that AK Interactive's Worn Effect Fluid is now unobtainable in the UK . I have been unable to locate a bottle anywhere . Hopefully , this is a temporary shortage but it is rather annoying as I could do with some at this time . I do have some of their Heavy Chipping Fluid and some hairspray so that'll have to do for the time being .
  I guess there are worse things happening in the World ,

Nick

Mobilgas

Michigan Toy Soldier......Had a whole shit load of the AK worn Effect Fluid.....i picked up a bottle and a bottle of Heavy chipping fluid last week. :)
Craig

Bexley

Yeah, Mich Toy.. a stand-up establishment if ever there was one.
CounterClockwise

Bexley Andrajack

JESTER

Just saw this! I have a used copy of an earlier volume of this book. Very nice books!

Quote from: shropshire lad on November 14, 2011, 03:54:50 PMThe last thing I bought was a copy of this book . It has three or four articles devoted to aging and weathering vehicles using many of the latest methods with great results . One of them is by Rick Lawler , who if you know his work , is worth buying the book for just his article alone . There is also a gallery at the back of a number of other modellers work , some of whom are familiar to everyone here.

shropshire lad

Quote from: JESTER on January 26, 2012, 06:31:15 AM
Just saw this! I have a used copy of an earlier volume of this book. Very nice books!

Quote from: shropshire lad on November 14, 2011, 03:54:50 PMThe last thing I bought was a copy of this book . It has three or four articles devoted to aging and weathering vehicles using many of the latest methods with great results . One of them is by Rick Lawler , who if you know his work , is worth buying the book for just his article alone . There is also a gallery at the back of a number of other modellers work , some of whom are familiar to everyone here.

I think that Volume 6 is almost as useful as Mig's FAQ book at less than half the price . But that would be sacrilegious to say out aloud . So I won't ,

Nick

Hauk

Quote from: shropshire lad on January 25, 2012, 03:07:32 PM
Bloody typical , it would appear that AK Interactive's Worn Effect Fluid is now unobtainable in the UK . I have been unable to locate a bottle anywhere . Hopefully , this is a temporary shortage but it is rather annoying as I could do with some at this time . I do have some of their Heavy Chipping Fluid and some hairspray so that'll have to do for the time being .
  I guess there are worse things happening in the World ,

Nick

Somebody should look into what the magical potion really is. I have somewhat mixed feelings on the modelling industry´s way of relabeling quite ordinary stuff with fancy names and logos. MIG´s line of washes & thinner has to be the most overpriced dilluted oilpaint and turpentine ever sold. Quite convinient, but people should be aware of the cheaper alternatives that can be found in any art supplies store. (A tube of oilpaint and a litre of white spirit will go a *very* long way)

I also have mixed feelings on the FAQ books by mr. Jimenez. On one side they are excellent sources of very good modelling info, with awesome pictures of first rate modelling. On the other hand they are quite shameless advertisements for specific products. FAQ volume 1 plugged the MIG line of washes and pigments. In volume 2 almost all references to MIG products are gone, pigments almost non-existent. AK-Interactive products havetaken their place, and I this is of course due to the fact that AK-I is the publisher. I accept that techniques evolve, but I just dont buy that all the MIG products/techniques suddenly have become obsolete.

But all said, I reccomend the book, but it does not hurt to hunt for cheaper, generic prodcts to replace the fancy AK-Interactive potions.
(Sorry if this really belongs in another thread, but I felt it had some relevance here as well)
Regards, Hauk
--
"Yet for better or for worse we do love things that bear the marks of grime, soot, and weather, and we love the colors and the sheen that call to mind the past that made them"  -Junichiro Tanizaki

Remembrance Of Trains Past

JESTER

Miguel mentions that his old powders aren't as finely ground as the new AK ones. The AK washes are premixed and take a lot of guesswork out. They seem pretty convenient. I also think it's normal for Miguel to talk about the new products that he now endorses/uses. Why would he plug MIG anymore?? I doubt he has any input on their products.

I agree and don't think pigments are obsolete at all. It's what I use most but they've been talked about in depth so that's why he doesn't cover them in the new book plus it's nice to get info on all the new washes.

All that being said, I really only use Tamiya paint and Bragdon powders.

-

Quote from: Hauk on January 26, 2012, 10:17:25 AM
I also have mixed feelings on the FAQ books by mr. Jimenez.

shropshire lad

Quote from: JESTER on January 26, 2012, 01:50:35 PM
Miguel mentions that his old powders aren't as finely ground as the new AK ones. The AK washes are premixed and take a lot of guesswork out. They seem pretty convenient. I also think it's normal for Miguel to talk about the new products that he now endorses/uses. Why would he plug MIG anymore?? I doubt he has any input on their products.

I agree and don't think pigments are obsolete at all. It's what I use most but they've been talked about in depth so that's why he doesn't cover them in the new book plus it's nice to get info on all the new washes.

All that being said, I really only use Tamiya paint and Bragdon powders.

-

Quote from: Hauk on January 26, 2012, 10:17:25 AM
I also have mixed feelings on the FAQ books by mr. Jimenez.

I believe there was a big falling out in the MIG Production empire with Mig himself leaving with not alot . Therefore it is not surprising he is plugging AK and not MIG , although there is a photo or two with MIG pigments in .

He used pigments in Volume 1 quite extensively and says he doesn't want to repeat what he put in there in the second volume . So if you haven't got volume 1 you are out of luck .

I also have mixed feelings on the books , but until something else better comes along they'll do fine .

Whilst he says quite clearly that it is a book about painting and weathering AFVs his section on building the dioramas is pretty weak . So I still think that the market is still wide open for Russ to produce a decent book on building dioramas properly . From my observations this is one area where railway modellers win hands down over the military guys . Russ has got enough article writers "on his books" to be able to produce something that could be of use to all modellers .

Nick ( just causing trouble again )

finescalerr

Nick, you may come out of the corner for a moment.

One idea I have had for a couple of years is to produce either one book or a series on the "Art of the Diorama". It would include detailed information about how to construct every aspect of a top notch diorama, from scenery to structures. (Vehicles are an entirely different subject so I would omit them.)

How much overall demand do you gentlemen think there might be for such a book (in thousands of units)? Do we have enough modelers here, with enough interest in contributing information, to put together such a publication? Do you think we could create the "definitive" book?

For the past few years Marc has told me the real demand for quality modeling information is not the model railroad guys (most of whom I've given up on) but the military and vehicle modelers. Yet few of those people buy the Modelers' Annual despite its general, rather than railroad, focus.

Any thoughts?

Russ

Wesleybeks

Russ although I wouldnt dare contribute anything to the book, I would be one of the first in line to buy it.

Ive looked all over and books about building a diorama are no where to be found. So you definately have my vote.

Im sure a book with ideas from the talent pool we have here will be in grrat demand and will sell like hot cakes.
Kind Regards
Wesley

Modelling in sunny South Africa

shropshire lad

Quote from: finescalerr on January 27, 2012, 01:21:49 AM
Nick, you may come out of the corner for a moment.

One idea I have had for a couple of years is to produce either one book or a series on the "Art of the Diorama". It would include detailed information about how to construct every aspect of a top notch diorama, from scenery to structures. (Vehicles are an entirely different subject so I would omit them.)

How much overall demand do you gentlemen think there might be for such a book (in thousands of units)? Do we have enough modelers here, with enough interest in contributing information, to put together such a publication? Do you think we could create the "definitive" book?

For the past few years Marc has told me the real demand for quality modeling information is not the model railroad guys (most of whom I've given up on) but the military and vehicle modelers. Yet few of those people buy the Modelers' Annual despite its general, rather than railroad, focus.

Any thoughts?

Russ

No it's alright I'll just shout from the corner . There is a rather attractive view just walking passed the window and I want savour it for as long as possible . No ,don't bother coming over, as you won't be able to see because the window is a bit to high for you !

The way I see it , you would get a number of different modellers producing articles on specific subjects i.e. groundcover , vegetation or building construction , and you would arrange them in order so that the book would take the reader through the whole process from start to finish . This sort of thing has been done before , by the likes of Model Railroader magazine but yours could be a great deal more comprehensive . You could include up to the minute techniques and all the latest products that are available ( many of which have been documented on this website ). As you are not a manufacturer , like AK Interactive , you don't have any products to push , so your coverage can be neutral and not biased . It would even be possible to produce chapters on reviews of different products and comparisons on their relative merits . This hasn't been done before on this subject to my knowledge . If you are trying to appeal to a global market you might like to try and find out which products are available in which countries .

You need to be trying to increase your possible contributor pool from modellers outside of our little enclave , and from different modelling disciplines . But you know that already .

The reason the military and vehicle modellers don't buy your Annuals is down to marketing . Check out some of their Forums and see who else advertises there . Just remember Mig's book will probably sell out before it gets reviewed by any magazines mainly through word of mouth and mentions on Forums like yours . This is where having a Faceache page will help .

I honestly believe that there is a definite opening for a book that makes all previous books on scenery and diorama building redundant . And I reckon you're just the chap to do it . You need to be starting to be proactive now by lining up people to produce articles/chapters and working out how you want to set it out . That way you could have a book out in two or three years . You will probably need to commission model builders to build  dioramas to illustrate specific aspects of the process .

So come on then , get your finger out , climb off the fence , jump to it and get producing . Your public is waiting ,

Nick

JESTER

Marketing and presentation is key! I never buy a book without looking at it first. Do a book review with video showing the pages and post it on Youtube like this site does: http://parkablogs.com/content/book-review-sculpting-galaxy-inside-star-wars-model-shop

Youtube is another great advertising area like Facebook and Twitter.

The Images you show for the Modeler's Annual are really good but the presentation could be more dynamic and your Publishing site could be more organized and professional looking.

Quote from: finescalerr on January 27, 2012, 01:21:49 AMFor the past few years Marc has told me the real demand for quality modeling information is not the model railroad guys (most of whom I've given up on) but the military and vehicle modelers. Yet few of those people buy the Modelers' Annual despite its general, rather than railroad, focus.

Any thoughts?

Russ

finescalerr

I definitely could use help to make my website(s) more appealing and, as Marc knows, at best I am semi-competent when it comes to Internet marketing. Clint Eastwood's, "A man's got to know his limitations" is one I live by.

If any of you guys wants to talk about contributing to a proposed diorama book, don't hesitate to contact me here, by e-mail, or by phone. I'd love to kick around some ideas.

Russ

Lawton Maner

Not my allowance, but a Wedding present from my wife 6 years ago!  It is a tablesaw popular with boat and glider modelers.  I now can make all of the custom sized wood strip I need without the hastle of trial and error associated with the cheaper saws from Micromark and other vendors.  Making accurate 1/48 scale sized pieces can be addictive.  And with the Micrometer attached to the fence, you can make one piece at a time and not have to produce a year's supply of a given size at once.  And, yes you can cut balsa thin enough to see through it.

I've even itused to produce marketery (SP?) in the cabinet shop from holly and other hard woods.

Just a satisfied customer without any connection to the company

Follow the link to see it:  http://www.byrnesmodelmachines.com/index.html?id_mm=1220MM920589