• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

What I spent My Allowance On (New Stuff For The Bench)

Started by marc_reusser, February 26, 2010, 02:28:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

David Emery

The Harbor Freight chop saw is also a reasonable tool if you can go through the trouble of constructing a new table/fence.  Be sure to get extra blades for the saws, they tend to be hard to get!

dave

mabloodhound

The saw is crap without a modification.   So plan ahead.
PVC lumber is the "plastic" stuff like they use on homes nowadays.   AZEK is one of the brand names.   You can glue it using MEK or similar, I used the plumbing stuff.
The blade that comes with the saw is way too wide of a kerf for stripwood cutting.   It cost me $15 for the fine kerf (.020) blade here: http://www.thurstonmfg.com/cut-off-saws.html # I-294.   It should last a long time as I'm only cutting wood that is 1/32 to 1/16 thick.
And you definitely want that narrow slit in the table to prevent the stripwood from falling into the cutout.
If you plan on building this, drop me a note off list and I'll give you some tips I learned when building this.

And while we're on the subject, if you have a contractor saw and want to rip cut some small stock, get a thin kerf blade.   I use a Tenryu 7ΒΌ"; 52 tooth; .063 kerf blade on my 10" saw http://www.mytoolstore.com/tenryu/thinke.html and can rip 3/4" scrap pine boards down to 1/32" thick strips.   You do need a thin kerf throat plate for the saw though, or else the strip will get sucked down into the saw.
Dave Mason
D&GRR (Dunstead & Granford) in On30
"A people that values its privileges above its principles will soon lose both."~Dwight D. Eisenhower

mad gerald

G'evening all,

this stuff arrived on MY workbench (=desk) recently - bought a couple of bags, brought along by a friend returning from a business trip to Chicago ... yummy ...  ;D

BKLN

As a chocolate lover with a good knowledge of the US vs. Germany candy market I have to say that Reese's Peanut Butter Cups are some of the better chocolate products the US has to offer. (Those waxed bricks called Hershey's can't even be considered chocolate) However, the Americans are the masters of chocolate chip cookies!

DaKra

finescalerr

Gerald, are you another of those madmen who builds with individual bricks? If so I applaud you. -- Russ

mad gerald

Quote from: finescalerr on October 21, 2011, 12:54:53 AM
Gerald, are you another of those madmen who builds with individual bricks? If so I applaud you. -- Russ
... yes, Ssur ... I am ...  ;D

It's my second attempt building a half timbered shed, but it's still in progress - and I'm not quite sure yet, if it eventually turns out still to crappy to be shown here ...  :-\ 

shropshire lad

Quote from: finescalerr on October 21, 2011, 12:54:53 AM

We're not mad . Just different .

finescalerr

Nick, you are the exception: both different AND mad. But that's part of your charm. You do not have to stand in the corner today. -- Russ

shropshire lad

Quote from: finescalerr on October 21, 2011, 12:21:26 PM
You do not have to stand in the corner today. -- Russ

Whatsup , you going soft in your twilight years ?

billmart

DaKra -

Which Aves product(s) have been using?  I'm looking for something I can use to make "welds" on a 1:13.7 model.

Bill Martinsen

marc_reusser

Quote from: billmart on November 05, 2011, 02:21:02 PM
DaKra -

Which Aves product(s) have been using?  I'm looking for something I can use to make "welds" on a 1:13.7 model.

Bill Martinsen

Milliput....fine grain.
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

marc_reusser

Wanted to thank Barney for his post here  http://www.finescalerr.com/smf/index.php?topic=1465.msg29512#msg29512 noting a UK source for PE handwheels. I received my order today,and must say that upon first inspection they are beautifully done, and service was outstanding. Ordered on the 3rd, they shipped on the 4th, and arrived on the 10th. The site is not the most easy to find what you want, and payment from overseas could be easier, but do-able; and shipping cost me more than the small bundle of items (I should have bought more pieces as ship stays the same)....but IMO it was all well worth it.

When I get some time, several of them will be very useful to restart, or at least move forward, a couple of builds that have been stalled for lack of a good/proper size, handwheels

M
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

DaKra

Marc, those are nice.  Speaking of gears and handwheels,  I'm drawing a Gear & Handwheel Volume 2.   If you or anyone still need a specific type / size, LMK, email me a photo.   The .0145" thickness of the material I use works out pretty well.  Brass can be a bit too thin in larger scales.

Dave

Here again are some parts from the current set.

finescalerr