• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

stone barn front

Started by chester, May 11, 2011, 06:39:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chester

The farm where I grew up in Penna. had a stone barn that had the stonework whitewashed many years before. The second story gable was wood timber framed. This little 4 inch square diorama/shadow box will hang on the wall and be about 3 inches deep. The wall itself will be about 1/2 inch from the front so I can scenic it and there will be some of the wood structure above showing.
   So far what I've done is mounted 1/16 inch architectural taskboard to 1/4 inch plywood and cut out for one of the doors to be open. The other will remain shut. I plastered it with a quick set drywall compound and scribed the stones with a dental pick. It was then sanded and painted with light brown acrylic. I then dry brushed a dirty white on it.  The vehicle shown will probably not be the final choice but I wanted to see how the front clip shadowed. The door is 1/32 inch red birch veneer I use in some of my work. The hinges are made from paper. Still lots to do but this was an evenings work.

chester

Took a few minutes to hit things with some colored pencils and think it makes a big difference.

Malachi Constant

Chester --

Real neat concept for the wall-hanging shadowbox ... it's shaping up beautifully (actually, downright amazing for the amount of time indicated) ... and those colored pencils definitely made a difference (nicely). 

That last close-up is a real neat shot.  Very simple composition that tells a very evocative story immediately.

Look forward to seeing it all come together,
Dallas
-- Dallas Mallerich  (Just a freakin' newbie who stumbled into the place)
Email me on the "Contact Us" page at www.BoulderValleyModels.com

marc_reusser

Chester,

Neat concept and looking good. I like the subtlety of the colored pencils.

Marc

PS. The first pic doesn't seem to load...don't know if it's just me. :)
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

finescalerr

Nice work with the pencils. I like the general concept. No nitpick yet. -- Russ

Design-HSB

I think the most important is the result.
Only for me is the way to go there always the most beautiful and important.
But Chester are you sure on the right track.
So be it pens, crayons, powder paints, airbrush, or only with the brush, the journey is the destination.
Regards Helmut
the journey is the goal

Chuck Doan

That is a neat concept. I'll be interested to see how you finish it off.
"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

chester

Thanks all, I guess I'll keep going on it then. Would like some input now on the boards above. Have been contemplating whether to paint them like the door or leave them gray. Did more pencil, too much, have to tone it down a bit.

Chuck Doan

They could go either way. The red might stand out more.
"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

mad gerald

G'day all,

Quote from: chester on May 12, 2011, 09:13:33 AM
... Would like some input now on the boards above. Have been contemplating whether to paint them like the door or leave them gray...

... well, I'd suggest to leave them gray/dark, as i. e. can be seen here at this huge barn in my neighbourhood, which is going to be a prototype building regarding my future layout called "Gutshof Uhlenbuettel" (Uhlenbuettel Estate):

Kind regards

Carlo

Hi, Chester -
Great looking wall and door. Is it me, or is the whole wall tilted a bit out of plumb?
Perhaps it's the camera angle? FWIW, I too think the wall should be red, like the door.

I sent you a PM,
Carlo

eTraxx

For what it's worth .. my house has two stories. I painted the door to the garage/shop because I could easily do so. I have been 'eyeballing' the shutters on the second floor for at least two years .. so I vote for leaving the wood brown. :)
Ed Traxler

Lugoff, Camden & Northern RR

Socrates: "I drank WHAT?"

Frederic Testard

I love your model, Chester. Personnally, I would leave the wall brown, and find Gerald's example a nice dark coloration of wood.
Frederic Testard

chester

OK after way too many hits off the growler from a local micro brewery and all the suggestions I'm leaving the wall as is. This then is the finished product however the vehicle again may change before it's all put together. The ivy is a lichen called "old man's beard" painted brown and dipped in tea leaves while wet and then sprayed old ivy green.

The frame is finished but first coat of finish is drying at the moment.

Ray Dunakin

Nice! I'm looking forward to seeing it in the frame.
Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World