• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

1:48n3 Lima Shay #122

Started by RoughboyModelworks, January 23, 2008, 04:41:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LaserM

Quote from: MrBrownstone on August 29, 2009, 12:21:29 AM
Q: is there a recomended or perfered small milling machine (i.e. micro-mark milling machine) that also has the stepping motors capability and maybe even cnc programable.

Mike
I like working with mills and lathes but I am not in the same league as Paul.  I'm interested in finding a small CNC mill and lathe as well.  I haven't found anything I like all that well.  These days, some of the larger machines can be purchased used at very cheap prices. I wish I had some place to set one up.  For the most part, I do a fair amount of mechanical design for my job and I have very good relationships with a few shops.  I help them out with problems from time to time and they let me use their machines in a pinch.

Mike

RoughboyModelworks

Mike:

Yes you can pick up CNC machines at good prices, but most often the reason they're priced low is the software is out-of-date and likely partially or wholly incompatible with contemporary applications. I'd recommend dealing only with a reputable dealer so you don't end up with essentially a lemon. Having a good relationship with a local machine shop is certainly a plus.

Hauk:

For the bolts in the post, I used a 1.0mm die chucked in the lathe. I ran the stock through twice, the first time to start the thread, the die just made a light cut since the phosphor bronze wire was slightly undersize for 1.0mm threads. The second time I clamped the die more firmly in the chuck closing it up slightly and ran the stock through again, creating the threads. Obviously they're not absolutely accurate, but still work. Elsewhere on this forum, someone posted a photo of a clockmakers miniature tap and die set which I shamefully admit I covet.  I've been looking for one of those for years but have not been able to find one at an affordable price. High-quality miniature taps and dies are available from J. I. Morris Co. http://www.jimorrisco.com/ in numbered and metric sizes, but are very expensive, i.e. a single .30mm tap is $120.00  :o

Paul

MrBrownstone

Hey Guy's

Thanks for the information... it will come in handy

I'll have a chat with you paul when I narrow it down to a couple of choices (thats if you wouldn't mind)

Mike

RoughboyModelworks

Quote from: MrBrownstone on September 08, 2009, 12:54:13 AM
I'll have a chat with you paul when I narrow it down to a couple of choices (thats if you wouldn't mind)

No problem Mike. I'll be glad to help if I can. Just send me an email or pm when you're ready and I'll send you my number.

Paul